What can compare to EQ2

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mowse, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mowse Well-Known Member

I love the graphics, the ability to play solo, group or raid.. depending on the day. Variety of things to do. The community. The UI.

All that and more..

My question.. comparable games out there? I have been with EQ2 since launch. Albeit mostly on a PVP server that is dead, dying, gone. I cannot move all my toons to a PVE server because I am not rich and which toons to move? I have too many. I do not have the stomach to reroll and start over. Seems like a new start somewhere is about in order.. but games I have tried don't have what EQ2 has. In my search I look at the ability to use mouse for movement.. I cannot seem to do wsad

Suggestions appreciated
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

I tried a bunch and I haven't found anything.. which makes what may be happening in EQ2 even worse.
    Mizgamer62 and vampiregoat69 like this.
  3. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

The lore, the building/decorating, the community? There is nothing to compare to this game. It is an amazing game that can still carry on for years to come. I hope someone notices that. *planting feel firmly in eq2*
    oakmiser, suka, Mizgamer62 and 2 others like this.
  4. Vladislav Active Member

FF14 is not bad, there is community there, just not the same as eq2.

The Secret World is entirely different but fun, there is some good small community there last time I was on. A bit more challenging than eq2 for sure. No housing is a bummer.

EQ2 has no peer as far as decorating goes. No other game can boast of such robust housing engine. Also shinies are brilliant. Best appearance system of any mmo.
    suka and Moonpanther like this.
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

You might try LOTR or Neverwinter.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

My wife and I played most of the big name games with the exception of WoW. Nothing we've ever found is really comparable. GW2 held us the longest (nearly 2 yrs)...but we are back home now. We always come back to EQ2 and re-sub.

ESO perhaps. We played that for beta and a few weeks after launch. But it wasn't EQ2 and it would have been another sub to play. We decided against it. Hear its going F2P in March...so it might be worth a look.

Ugliest characters I've ever seen though. Weird movement scheme also...but I'm just too hooked on WASD, so that might be more my issue than someone more flexible.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You can't be unwilling to reroll / start over and want to find another place that offers the same experience. Starting in a whole new game will have its costs and will be riddled with unknowns. Rerolling sounds like the better option, as you'll have a nice vet bonus and all those lovely xp potions and vitality resets.
    Mizgamer62 and Rozyn like this.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

In my experience playing the various MMOs around, there really isn't anything that offers the same experience as EQ2. There are some that are okay but nothing that would have kept me subbed for as long as I've subbed EQ2.

My suggestion is to wait before you do much. Remember Nagafen had an extended downtime the other day, something is going on with the server & my guess it's something that might be getting players on that server a ticket to ride to a different server.
    Moonpanther and Mizgamer62 like this.
  9. Excedrin New Member

The wife and I've looked at quite a few different games in the past year or so since vanguard closed - I tried to keep an open mind and try game styles I normally wouldn't here is a list of what we've tried:
    • first person shoot em's (Defiance - wasn't bad but got too repetitious after awhile)
    • open world pvp - Eve I think it was (which I've avoided like the plague since the old days of UO felucca)
    • some of the other DnD type games
      • Dragon's prophet (blah - couldn't hold my interest past the introductory area)
      • Dragon age - really disappointed in bioware here
      • Neverwinter- I really like the old Neverwinter nights and this version was a great disappointment for me
      • guild wars 2 ( was really trying to like this, but it didn't stick for me)
      • Lord of the rings - (really a big blah for me personally)
      • I'm still never going to go to WoW - it's just way too cartoony for my tastes
    • another disappointment for me was Rift - wife and I tried to get into this one as well and it just didn't do anything for us as again it seemed so repetitive)
    • Diablo 3 - we both enjoy this one but it doesn't really keep our attention after the first 2 -3 play throughs
    None have as of yet kept my interest long enough for me to establish any kind of relationship or thrilled me enough to subscribe for any length of time

That being said, it appears I'll have to start looking again - not sure of the long term viability of EQ 2 now. Not saying I'm dropping my sub yet, but the writing's on the wall and I've read it ;) so I'm going to prepare myself for what I consider the inevitable.

I've started looking at the new Elder Scrolls Online, but not sure how the PvP is going to work for me, the rest of the game looks a bit limiting IMO unless you are grouped - kinda has the flavor of the Korean style games which I'm not really a fan of either so for me the search continues
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

Something to be aware of....grouping is an issue in ESO. You and the people in your group have to be on the exact same quest line and on the exact same level of the quest in order for everyone to see bosses, loot whatever. Not a big deal if your group is fighting open field enemies. But a real p.i.t.a. if you want to help your wife out with a questline.

Its was the single most annoying issue in ESO. Its like they made a single player MMO.
    Excedrin likes this.
  11. oldskool Active Member

Maybe you should try a completely different type of MMO. Something without classes or levels. Warning - once you go that route its difficult to enjoy the restrictive nature of a level/class based MMO. Too bad most of these types of games are sci-fi in nature.
  12. Valzen Well-Known Member

Rift is a good game. The world adventures are not predictable due to rifts opening, which are cool. There's a lot of content and groups are easy to make. Graphics are pleasing.

I just keep coming back to EQ2. :)
  13. Rozyn Well-Known Member

I would recommend trying Rift out, it has a decent F2P model so you can really get a feel for the game. Has some similar features like shinies (it may be dumb, but I love them), housing, appearance tabs, etc. That sounds like fluff, but it's hard to find games that offer that stuff nowadays. I cannot speak for its PVP because I only ever did battlegrounds. I would also check out FFXIV. Personally didn't care for the combat (I judge games by their healers, and they were just snoozetastic) but it's a solid game and runs a lot better than EQ2. These are the big world, hotbar combat themepark games that come to mind. There are other fun games but they tend to be narrower focus (mostly solo, smaller worlds, story-focused, etc.) and have different combat.

Honestly though, I've played just about every big name game out there and you'll never find something that can completely replace EQ2. I always end up coming back after a while. Re-rolling isn't so hard. ;)

Edit - this might not count since it's still being made, but keep an eye out for Camelot Unchained. Tri-realm high fantasy pvp sandbox. My guess is it's coming out in 2017 and it's the only game on the horizon I'm even remotely looking forward to.
  14. Leloes Well-Known Member

What is Rift?
  15. Valzen Well-Known Member

16. vampiregoat69 Member

I would avoid those game neverwinter is boring fast and LOTR is run by the worst company ever to be made.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

18. Leloes Well-Known Member

Played LOTR more than Neverwinter. LOTRs is fun to me.
  19. Valzen Well-Known Member

Not sure what happened there. It's the correct url. Just copy/paste it in browser. Worked for me that way.
  20. Leloes Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks!