David Georgeson and Linda Carlson let go from Daybreak?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Shastra, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Eles Well-Known Member

:D I had to share it

2. Finora Well-Known Member

Well, were it just Dave & Brasse (both of whom I do like and wish the best for) it wouldn't look as bad as it currently does.

However, the list of other people included in the layoff list does put fear into me about the longevity of Eq2. It's the names like Gnobrin, Endymion & Lyndro. :(

Best of luck to each of those I mentioned as well as all the rest who got the axe.

*to Hungryrog, Archeage isn't worth the time it takes to download.
  3. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

What?! who the heck is left?-ugh:(
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

It wasn't just these two people folks, many others were cut today.
    Livejazz likes this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

http://eq2wire.com/

Feldon has a list and there's chat if anyone wants to join and talk about it.
    Livejazz likes this.
  6. Dmack Active Member

this not good indeed.

This reminds me of something that happened last year with another product (not game but game related). A company bought the product, made all kinds of good news from the lead people but the company that bought it was silent then closed the doors.

Its all about money so nothing good gonna come out of it. :(
    Livejazz likes this.
  7. AlienShine Member

Honestly, best wishes for everyone !

No current game offers what EQ2 does, hope it is here to stay.
    This investment corp. should choose to invest in this great game, it could be so much with dedicated support and good pointed marketing, to target the right people.

I have little hope, so much was/is promised, yet I see so little to no return for EQ2.
    Livejazz and Mizgamer62 like this.
  8. isest Active Member

I daybreak had a clue of what they were doing they would push a letter out right now telling us what their plans are, letting this go on without saying anything does not boost player hopes.
    Livejazz likes this.
  9. Cube Active Member

well I knew this would happen I said it day 1 last week the console cell phone and tablet games are coming after this maybe more layoff and games closing.

OH and all the Pc versions will get dumbed down to console and cell phone versions. everquest next will be on cell phones and consoles and then you will get a port of the console or cell phone game to pc like they do on games like deus ex
  10. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Well I'm keeping my sub and they will have to drag me out of here kicking and screaming!
  11. Belenos Well-Known Member

I can bear witness to the truth of this statement! If you enjoy EQ II, you will find the exact polar opposite of all you love in ArcheAge! Worst excuse for a community I have ever had the misfortune of knowing! Game itself is made to screw players intentionally, and any complaints will simply gain you the old "the game is meant to be that way--it is part of the game!" comments from both other players and company representatives (who will tell you by email, about 4-5 days later.) Scamming players is legal, and considered a "part of game play." The only way to get land is to pay huge sums to a few "land barons" who use packet-injection land-grab hacks to take every piece of land available before a player has a prayer of getting it. Labor point system means you can't even think about spending an entire night crafting--unless you want to spend about $100.00 on labor potions from the marketplace (and emptying your labor pool on one character empties it on all characters--even those on other servers, because it is account-wide). ArcheAge is the biggest piece of trash ever concocted. I wouldn't wipe my shoe on them if I had stepped in a big ol' pile of doggie poo!

I will keep my subs and hope for the best here, because there is precious little left out there that I would enjoy. If EQ II goes belly-up, you will probably find me in The Secret World and Age of Conan, for as long as they last. Most new games I have tried just plain suck. Harsh but true.
    FriggaWitch and Moonpanther like this.
  12. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

This ^^^ x Infinity
    Livejazz, Spindle and Moonpanther like this.
  13. Alynn New Member

Yes
    Be wary of news from the President's office at this time. There is "red ink" in this studio. Investment banksters are gamblers and they want a sure bet here. They will create a profit at the sake of every single person working within the studio.
    EverQuest and EverQuest 2 may be living in their final days/months.
    I no longer believe what John Smedley tells us. You can still hold out for some miracle. I do not! I will continue to play EQ 2 on and off until sign-off.
    It will take a community. A STRONG vocal community not afraid to take this fight all the way. Can we fight this or do we simply reside ourselves to think, well this is all for the best....SHOW ME how this will improve...
    Was there ever a true EverQuest Next? I have my doubts, folks..but again I do not now..none of us actually know for sure...
    We deserve the truth..don't we? Transparency ...
    Here is how I feel right now... well written and sung by the late great Jim Morrison;

Sadly...
    Alyn
    Livejazz likes this.
  14. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

^ "Fight all the way" - such big words, implying there was anything the playerbase is able to do. I don't wanna fight, I just want to play Everquest 2 and all I can do is support the game and hope they won't axe it. I don't see how fighting anyone or anything is gonna help the situation or how you even define "fight". Get a bunch of people on the forums to talk about how we don't want the game to die? I think they're aware of that and I'll show my support by actually playing the game.
  15. Kahonen Active Member

People need a reality check here. Columbus Nova is NOT an investment company. They are venture capitalists!

The sole purpose in life of a venture capitalist is to buy something as cheaply as possible, invest in it as little as possible and then sell it by whatever means guarantees the largest profit. If that means splitting it and selling it in parcels, that is exactly what they will do.

Twice now I've worked in companies that have been taken over by venture capitalists and both times it has ended badly.

Anyone that thinks CN care about any aspect of EQ2 other then the amount it will be worth when it is sold are deluding themselves. Daybreak might make lots of well-meaning sounds related to their continued support of EQ2 but their hands will be tied and if it costs money, you can bet it won't happen.

You need evidence to support this? Think about the people that were fired yesterday. Why do you think they got rid of the people most liked and admired that seemed to be best at their jobs? Simple - they are the people that cost the most! CN don't care about continued development so why do they need to keep the people capable of doing it?
    Pantaro likes this.
  16. Shinzen New Member

Lets face it, it sucks that people lost their jobs but if they had been as good at their jobs as many seem to think with their rose colored glasses on, this game would not be in decline and the company would not have been sold. We would not have empty servers. We would have real expansions with real content. We would not have made the f2p and CoE style content switch. This would still be an AAA mmo. But it isn't.

And what do you do in a business when things aren't working? You shake things up and get rid of management and bring in new blood. Which is hopefully what they will be doing. But regardless IMO it can't get worse from where we were at before this. Businesses that are profitable and popular, don't get sold. People who generate value and revenue for such a company, don't get fired. The money stopped flowing for this game a long time ago and change is long overdue.
    Moose9 and Berserkerkitten like this.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

I'm looking at FFXIV again. Tbh... as much as we "hated" SJ we all came to like him in some ways. I even talked with him during Landmark Alpha, he really is passionate or well, was passionate about EQ and it's universe. I can hope for the best but I don't think I'm giving Daybreak any of my money (though arguable through PS they are giving me their money).

Communities find out about this stuff, and layoffs of MAJOR names... cause problems. People get worried and skeptical and if they want to get anything out of this other than slicing up a company and destroying it for profit (what "Venture Capitalists" usually do) then they need some real positive PR work and not just red-tape coverage. I would like to see an announcement of new people to the EQ-Verse.

VC's are fancy words for "Business Butcher" in my mind.
  18. Rozyn Well-Known Member

I'm actually going to call this out as being extremely inaccurate, oversimplified, and downright rude to the people who lost their jobs yesterday. I know people in the gaming industry, and I can tell you honestly that they don't do it because it's a get rich scheme or cozy working schedule. They do it because they love games. The gaming industry relies on the passion of its workers, because otherwise no one would stick with it during the market's unreliability and insane crunchtime hours.

SOE cut back EQ2's workforce a great deal over the years, and that was no one's call who was laid off yesterday. There's only so much work one team can accomplish, and we're going to be feeling that very acutely. You think it's been bad the last few years? We're all in for a rude awakening of just how much those people did every day. Also, the reason SOE was sold is that SONY has been in debt for years now (and NOT because of SOE, although I will venture to say that EQN was probably a money sink) and is basically selling off assets to try to get back in shape - another thing that has absolutely nothing to do with community managers or game designers let go yesterday.
    Vladislav likes this.
  19. Ezariel Member

I wish all of them well. Hoping the game makes a recovery.
    Spindle likes this.
  20. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Welp. FFXIV keeps having freebie weekends, ESO is B2P now, and Rift has always been the closest (but still not a perfect fit imo) to EQ2.

Guess those places are where I'll be now. I thought it was only the community team that was taking hits (No offense to SJ and Linda), but Lyndro, Endymion, Gnorbin...those are some skilled names on that list. >.>