Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. RadarX Community Manager

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak
    Wintir, Siren and Pantero like this.
  2. Pixiewrath Active Member

I like that I needed to sign in to the SoE community to get here, and that it still says SoE below your avatar name...

Does this mean you are not a part of Sony anymore and that you have gone multi platform?

Doesn't Sony own the EQ franchise anymore?

And futhermore, will this affect the Playerdirect and YouTube monetization of gameplay videos?

And will this mean the game engine will finally get improved to run better than 5 FPS and use the GPU?

*Hoping*
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

replying so I can track this topic. Not even sure what to ask at this point.
  4. Sambril Well-Known Member

Change scares me - I'm with CoLD MeTaL, not sure what to think yet. :confused:

Edit: Having said that I do appreciate announcing it here so I don't get the news from elsewhere first.
    Juraiya, Katz, Kyriea and 3 others like this.
  5. Table Lamp New Member

How will this effect Player Studio?
  6. Spiteful New Member

I wonder how much control the parent company Sony had over running of SoE and impacting decisions. Will this really be just a renaming as far as SoE customers are concerned?
  7. Spindle Well-Known Member

Looks interesting from the small number of articles so far found googling. Smed, so far, remains President of Daybreak and the teams, so far, are remaining in place. I'm going to look at this with positivity.

It's a privately held equity firm so upper management will be a little different than we are used to...this will be interesting.
    Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Gaudof New Member

Can the first order of business be to reset pvp back to the old days? Just Saying
    Ajjantis and Siren like this.
  9. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

My concern is for our Devs, are you all staying?
  10. isest Active Member

So what exactly does this mean for EQII, we are not multiplatform, for sure far from it. I sure don't want my EQII taken down to two hotbars and ported to the ps4.
  11. Gourdon Well-Known Member

If this was a leveraged buyout, then Columbus Nova is probably looking to milk Daybreak for cash. If it was a full acquisition without leverage, then they probably plan to better finance Daybreak to unlock new revenue from existing and emerging properties. Everquest is pretty poorly marketed, so let's hope Columbus Nova thinks there is a good product that could be doing better.
  12. Timor New Member

here comes another NGE....
    Gaealiege and Kyriea like this.
  13. Ratboy New Member

Well honestly You would still have a ton of hotbars, looking at final fantasy 14 and there are players with more than 5 hotbars.
  14. Stordyr New Member

I'm with Gourdon on this.
    EQ franchise has potential... let's hope for the best so far.
  15. isest Active Member

Have you looked at dcuo,or planetside 2, that is my fear. I not tried final fantasy, However most of the ps3/ps4 games I played have mostly 1 or 2 hotbars.

Honestly I am not sure what to think, this press release says hardly nothing, I would like Holly or somebody to step in and give us an honest overview of what they think.
  16. isest Active Member

I sure hope not, I used to play SWG up until the NGE, and when everybody had a lightsaber and the build of the month. It was the main reason that I dropped my all access account, back then you use to get extra character slots.Then we called it gold, now were back to allaccess lol.
    Kyriea and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I really don't think we're gonna see a PS4 port of EQ2. Cmon. This whole acquisition is about H1Z1, Landmark and maybe EQ Next. Like they're gonna care about porting some decade-old game with dated graphics and poor performance. I love EQ2 and everything, but I highly doubt it matters. I just hope they're not gonna get rid of it...
    Quillyne, Duffy, Belenos and 4 others like this.
  18. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

We still have a lot of places to update this information :)

As stated in the opening announcement, we will operate as an independent game development studio and now have the opportunity to act as a multi-platform gaming company.
    Juraiya, Mindsway, suka and 1 other person like this.
  19. Amiiss Member

Guessing it was sold with the - " Hey look at all the monthly subscriptions we carry - It could all be yours" - Too bad most people can buy kronos or station cash. Until one or both of those go away .
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  20. AngryConjy Active Member

wow.....just wow. and maybe fanfair will be elsewhere this year,....or will they even have one?
    come to think about it, yes roll back XP TO WHAT IT SHOULD BE.!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.