Feel the Wind Beneath Your Wings with the Aerakyn Player Race!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

Are you ready to start an adventure with a unique new player race? Get ready, because Aerakyns will soon be available for you to customize and start your journeys! Players will be able to purchase the new Aerakyn race from the EverQuest II Marketplace beginning November 11, 2014. Want to learn more about the Aerakyns? Well, we’ve got the information ready for you!

The Aerakyns were once the unwilling soldiers of the great Prismatic Dragon, Kerafyrm. Now free from his thrall, but unable to return to their homelands, they seek to re-establish their culture in Norrath. Since the Aerakyns were used as shock troops by Kerafyrm throughout Age’s End, they are looked upon suspiciously by most Norrathians. Despite the general prejudice against them, the Aerakyns are a neutral race of seasoned warriors who are determined to prove their worth. Let’s take a look at some of the characteristics that really make the Aerakyns stand out from other Norrathian races!

Customizations
    When you create your Aerakyn, you’ll be able to make them stand out in a crowd by choosing from a variety of appearance customizations. Not only can you choose horn types – including facial horns on the male - you can also pick from a wide variety of colors for skin, scale, hair, and eyes that will allow you to create a very unique character. The Aerakyn’s scales are combined with their wing structures so that the colors travel from around their horns and down their necks and arms giving them an all-over striking appearance.

[IMG]

Wing Appearances and Mounts
    One of the most distinguishing characteristics of an Aerakyn is their wings. Special racial wings are granted at the level 1, 30, 60, and 85 milestones. The standard Aerakyn race will gain new wing appearances at each of the level milestones. The Noble Aerakyn race unlocks the new wing appearances as well as unlocks wing mounts for each milestone. The upgraded wing mounts for the Noble Aerakyns will offer new travel options (such as increased ground speed, leaping, gliding, and flying) at each milestone, making their wings a truly functional extension.

Wing Attack Animations
    The skilled Aerakyns have also learned how to maneuver their wings during battle! Standard Aerakyns will be able to use wing attack animations while they are unarmed. Noble Aerakyns will be granted a special appearance weapon that can be used in a weapon appearance slot, allowing them to play wing attack animations while wielding weapons in equipment slots.

[IMG]

Unique Character Trait
    In addition to a striking appearance, animated wing attacks, and enhanced wing mobility, the Aerakyns also have a special trait specific to their race. The Aerakyns are born with a unique ability called Pyrebreath Bulwark, which provides an elemental cure and ward. This resilient race definitely has an innate tendency towards survival. Also, take a look at the fire breath animation for this special character trait!

[IMG]

Content for Aerakyns
    You can’t have a new player race without uncovering the amazing lore that brings these Aerakyns into the cities. There is a racial quest in two of Norrath’s most-notable cities – Freeport and Qeynos. Through these quests, the Aerakyns will learn more about where they come from and why they now seek to establish themselves in a new home.

[IMG]

Creating an Aerakyn
    Now that you’ve seen some of the amazing things that go along with being an Aerakyn, you’re probably wondering “How can I play one?!” There will be two types of Aerakyns available to play: the Aerakyn, a standard version of the race, and the Noble Aerakyn, an upgraded version of the race with additional features. Players will be able to unlock access to the new race from the character creation screen or by accessing the in-game Marketplace. The following Marketplace options will be available so that players can choose the combination that works best for them:

Aerakyn
    The Aerakyn race will be available for 2000SC. It includes racial traits and appearance wings. New appearances are unlocked at Adventure or Tradeskill milestones levels 30, 60, and 85. The Aerakyn will also use wing attacks when unarmed.

Noble Aerakyn
    The Noble Aerakyn will be available for 4200SC. The ability to use wing mounts and a special appearance weapon help set this noble Aerakyn apart. The wing mounts offer travel benefits through Adventure and Tradeskill milestones that begin at level 1 and increase at levels 30, 60, and 85. These benefits begin with a run speed increase at level 1 and increase to leaping, gliding, and finally flying added at each subsequent milestone. The Noble Aerakyn also receives an appearance weapon at level 1 that allows the Aerakyn to use wing attack animations while wielding weapons.

Upgrade Aerakyn to Noble Aerakyn.
    This upgrade will be available for 2200SC. It will add the Level 1 ground speed increase wing mount and the ability to earn 3 additional wing mounts upon leveling (leaping, gliding, and flying) and includes the appearance weapon at level 1. The character is granted wing mounts at level 30, 60, and 85 and will be granted all the level-appropriate wing mounts upon upgrading.

Discounted Noble Aerakyn Bundle with Character Slot
    Do you desperately want to create an Aerakyn but don’t have any more character slots? Players will be able to purchase the Noble Aerakyn together with an additional character slot for 4800SC.

Discounted Noble Bundle that includes a Heroic Character Bauble AND character slot
    Players will be able to purchase a Noble Aerakyn with a Heroic Character upgrade bauble and character slot for 7700SC.

It’s time to create an Aerakyn and venture through the lands with your majestic, draconic wings! What aspects are you looking forward to the most about the new Aerakyn player race?

Don’t miss these unique characteristics for the new Aerakyn race!
    Pantero likes this.
  2. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that per Holly, the Noble Aerakyn is an account wide unlock, not a per-character purchase. So purchasing the Noble Aerakyn (either the bundle or the upgrade) grants the mounts and appearance item to all Aerakyn on the account.
    oakmiser, Alenna and Neiloch like this.
  3. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

More than double to get working wings. Wow! I thought I heard at SOE Live or one of the EQII Insiders that we didn't have to do anything to get working wings except reach level 85. At this point I won't be going back to watch videos to see exactly what was said. Guess I can delete the temp character I made to reserve the name I wanted for this new character.
    Tylia, Gaealiege, Wirewhisker and 3 others like this.
  4. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Wow, that Noble one BETTER be account wide!

I am confused, as I was of the understanding that all Aerakyns would be able to use their wings to fly once they reached level 85.

Hmm, is SoE in some sort of financial crisis right now? As they seem to be going out of their way to overcharge on things...
    Malfaer, Tylia, Xirena and 9 others like this.
  5. Ibethia Member

Noble Aerakyn"The Noble Aerakyn will be available for 4200SC. The ability to use wing mounts and a special appearance weapon help set this noble Aerakyn apart. The wing mounts offer travel benefits through Adventure and Tradeskill milestones that begin at level 1 and increase at levels 30, 60, and 85. These benefits begin with a run speed increase at level 1 and increase to leaping, gliding, and finally flying added at each subsequent milestone. The Noble Aerakyn also receives an appearance weapon at level 1 that allows the Aerakyn to use wing attack animations while wielding weapons."

Please note they did say that they can fly at 85 as the normal rate of progression per level increase gives a new ability each milestone ..leaping at 30 gliding at 60.. flying at 85...

" The standard Aerakyn race will gain new wing appearances at each of the level milestones. The Noble Aerakyn race unlocks the new wing appearances as well as unlocks wing mounts for each milestone. The upgraded wing mounts for the Noble Aerakyns will offer new travel options (such as increased ground speed, leaping, gliding, and flying) at each milestone, making their wings a truly functional extension."

The standard has appearance wings.. Not functional wings...ONLY Noble ones get travel upgrades. So in essence the new race ya get pretty wing that don't work unless you pay more.. But you can always get the reg wings at 85 to allow you to fly.
    Blueiris likes this.
  6. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

...what. the. HELL?!?

I was looking forward to playing a winged race that didn't require an additional purchase or questline to fly, but would learn to use their wings as they grew. Like we were told and Live.

Funny how no one mentioned that'd be a different Aerakyn race.

Thank you, SOE, for making it easy to decide whether or not to get this new race.
    Tierisch, Cuelaen, Blueiris and 11 others like this.
  7. Knight Member

NNNooope!! not giving any more money to soe than i have to, and THIS as well as the collectors edition, will NOT be a part of my game!!
    Tierisch, Blueiris, Tylia and 10 others like this.
  8. Qixil Active Member

Great. So now, not only does the collector ed not come with the race, but to get the CE and the (noble) race, as an all-access member per account it will cost $119, not to mention more if I were to get a race change potion. I just don't know. It's cool stuff and all, but IS it worth it? I'm not so sure.
  9. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

At first I was like YAY! Only 2,000SC! Thats actually less than I expected! Then I kept reading....

I just have no words anymore. I don't think anything we say will make a difference at this point. Price of CE hate still hasn't shown any success.
  10. Vexrm Member

This is so completely tone deaf I can't even. I just... what... I...

Look, I know it's not the devs and I know it's not you community managers, but seriously print some of these comments out and take them to the marketing department. I guess if enough people buy this it's a success but the negative word of mouth and the erosion of good will and trust is costly. More so when this will boil over to Everquest and SOE as a whole and leave a stain on EQNext.
    Sapphirius, Tierisch, Lethi and 11 others like this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

umm sounds really cool but I wished we could try that all out in beta some people might buy into the deal if they had a chance to try it out and see how good this race really is
    Sapphirius and Blueiris like this.
  12. The Old Ranger on AB New Member

... totally disappointed... :(
    Tierisch, Airros, Blueiris and 10 others like this.
  13. LuvieRawrpants Member

The keynote address at SOE Live said, "And your wings are going to advance over time (not that you start with wee little sad wings; They're gonna be cool the entire way through), but by level 85, your wings are going to be fully-functional flying mount wings." The address did not say, "... if you pay for the souped-up model."

I have to admit that I'm very disappointed with this announcement. I'll probably wind up just keeping my money and spending it on things which are sold as advertised.
  14. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder if some Blizzard stockholder or CEO is actually hiding out in SOE's main office, trying drive more players away from smaller competing games like EQ2? The way they've been pricing things lately it really has me wondering....
    Tierisch, Blueiris, Tylia and 7 others like this.
  15. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thing is, I really don't care if there are extra buffs to the "special" version. It's that we have to spend that much to see our own wings when we fly. :(
    Blueiris, Wirewhisker and Naramsin like this.
  16. LuvieRawrpants Member

*nods* I already have to sacrifice function for form on my arasai, so this was something that I was greatly looking forward to.
    Tierisch, Blueiris and Wirewhisker like this.
  17. Guldar New Member

Have played eq2 since it originally came out. Ended up all accessing the wrong account so don't have all my veteran rewards and was told that there is no way to correct this. Fine, I accepted this as was my own mistake. After reading this, and seeing the direction that the pricing is going from SOE. Will be cancelling my all-access and taking everyone I play this with to some other game. $45.00 just to get the race is ridiculous. What other game makes you pay for the race separately. When they brought out freeblood and it was 1000 sc okay can handle that. But, now figure if you don't want to spend 45 on a race and you are all access. They are just now telling you this so you couldn't even think to plan with you 500 from all access bonus. HMMMMMMM. Wow I can wait 9 months to play the new race, that way it will be just like having a brand new baby boy. Whip out the cigars!!!
  18. Rufener New Member

Ok, so to advance in the next xpac ill need to pay 40ish for the new xpac. Then 15 for the new race( walmart SC card) then another 20 for the wing animation? So with all these goodies totalling at75 then is the collector eddition gona cost about....150ish?
    Blueiris likes this.
  19. Guldar New Member

Sorry ce does not include the race. It will be 90 and gives you a merc and such but hey race still separate.
    Blueiris likes this.
  20. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

That Blizzard person thats hiding out just got my money over SOE.

I am not quitting I still have someone I want to play with playing this game. But its a "I am going f2p now" post. I still enjoy the game. But I really don't want to spend another penny on it. I asked what the restrictions are on f2p as a max level, and apparently its not enough of a restriction for me to care. So atleast thank you SOE for that much.

Sad thing is, many people can say they are giving the money over to a competitor and SOE still won't care, and still won't do anything about it. As long as they get people paying this god awful price for something that should have been a full package deal at the $20 pricetag in the first place (as advertised, still don't see where a Noble was coming into play) then they will continue to put up these prices.
    Blueiris, Tylia, Xirena and 4 others like this.