Performance Update: September 23, 2014

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Sisca Well-Known Member

When it launched with that tag line both Intel and AMD were promising 10GHz single core processors within the next 3-5 years and obviously that never happened. They both ran into issues trying to get processors up to those speeds and opted to go multi-core to achieve performance boosts. EQ2 was written to run on a single core machine and to use every bit of processing power that core would give it. Converting from a single core/single threaded app to multi-core/multi-threaded is what programmers call a "non-trivial" task - which is usually shorthand for you'd be better off scrapping it and starting over.

I've logged into the beta server a couple of times since these changes were pushed there and I've seen some improvement in my FPS using my current settings. I was even able to boost my settings up a notch from a customized version of balanced to whatever is above that. I still went in and turned off some of the shadows and all of the flora stuff but that was mostly because those things bug me not because they were bogging me down. Still, as just a rough guess I'd say it's about a 5-10% boost. Nothing earth shattering but every little bit helps.
  2. Virgatus Member

Amazing news! Thanks for the update.
    Seefar likes this.
  3. Warmackers1984 Member

Are you f'ing kidding me? My DPS on my ranger went from 4m to 400k, you nerfed DPS x 10? Is this an error, what in the ******* hell is going on. If this was a solution to lag or something it is a GOD AWFUL solution. I was concerned about this when I read you were changing how in-combat stats were calculated.
    Hey here's an idea - if its not broken DONT FIX IT!

Panthorz
    Ishtannia likes this.
  4. Seefar Well-Known Member

<thinks>
    I wonder if all of this means that when I try to tick that option I found that says something like 'use multi-core' the tick will stick instead of bouncing off like it's scared?
    </thinks>
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Warmackers1984 Member

I realized I may have gone off half-cocked in my DPS-nerf rage, is it just my ACT that isn't computing the data right, cause a **** monk just beat me on the parse in halls. Im really really really hoping that's not accurate

~Panthorz
  6. Bashem Well-Known Member

Duel the monk case solved!
  7. Enric_of_Neriak Member

I like the performance improvements so far. I have already put the frame limiter to use. An option that would go great with that would be full-screen windowed mode. I'm sure if that made it in with the next round of performance improvements I would be content for a few days. :p

Thanks again. These look nice so far and being able to bump up the graphics and see the game closer to it's intended graphical fidelity is awesome.
  8. ITPalg Member

http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/home
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ack, no, please. I bought a "top-of-the-line" gaming rig laptop, an Alienware (after Dell had bought them up, unfortunately, so the top-of-the-line brand went straight down to the bottom and kept digging), for the express purpose of never being without EQ2 wherever I was. Couldn't get the alternate models to work (worked just fine on the desktop, and my Barbarians [especially the males] look unspeakably dorky in the standard models), couldn't get out of Windowed mode at all, regardless of what I did. Screwed up my hotbars something fierce, among other things (I'd fix them up for the laptop on the desktop, and it still wouldn't help); couldn't get the cursor or camera to behave, etc., etc., etc. Tried asking Tech Support what I could do (if there were settings/options to look at, if there was some procedure I had to do, if I needed a new video card [in a brand-new rig], etc.); the techies I wrote to at the time went all kerfuffle that I had a laptop at all, flat-out told me the devs couldn't be expected to tweak the entire game engine for every make of laptop that came along (frankly, they should've worried about two things: Mac, or Windows [maybe three if you count Linux, but no game ever really does. Sigh]. THAT'S IT), and that it was my fault because I'd bought the "wrong model." Unquote (btw, VAIO is apparently one of the worst models you can hope to play this on). I wrote back that I could play World of Warcraft just fine on it, and didn't hear back from that bunch ever again. :-/

Uwk
    who has finally figured out how to make Windowed mode behave itself, after many an arcane ritual; sometimes, it even behaves itself right off the bat, but not always, and found where they buried the Alternate Models check boxes (which, btw, were checked properly, but still not showing up correctly)
  10. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

These still appear as "on" even when they randomly trigger off for some races, or are "off" when they should be on sometimes, even had to fix the Wood Elf/Half Elf ones this morning before the update. Maybe a fix for this was ninja'd in with the optimization...:p
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone else has seen a performance drop when running more than one character at the same time?
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nah, this was like years and years ago (at least 6-7). I think they've had a complete revamp of the tech team since then, if nothing else. ;->

Uwk
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

EDIT: This was years and years ago, shortly after I started playing EQ2 in 2006 (we probably got the laptop in like 2007-8). The techs I've dealt with since are infinitely more reasonable. :)

Uwk
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Haven't since the fixes went in, but I'll see what I can do. ;->

Uwk
  15. Sephy666 Member

Huge performance upgrade from this update. Gone from 10-15fps to 50-60fps on max quality settings (shadows off)
  16. Seefar Well-Known Member

Nope, it doesn't. The tick sticks, accept, restart game to enable ... but tick gone. I have a multi-core machine now; but perhaps this option simply doesn't work for some flavours of multi-core?
  17. Wretchin New Member

Thank you Devs!! I ran around with a few people in Kael last night just to see how things went with Extreme Quality turned on. We played for about an hour and a half, and I saw little to no issues. The FPS meter wavered between 60-100 FPS the whole time. Awesome sauce! This was running on a 4770K I7, GTX 780, 16GB ram. I also noticed the core running EQ2 wasn't peaking at 100% any more. That core seemed to hover around 50-70% utilization. Love it!
  18. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

This I had another evening a week ago. Monk and I were running a zone and our dps got switched in ACT. Or I wasn't listed at all and he in ridiculous high dps.
  19. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

Awesome!

That's fabulous news!

There's a discussion thread going on about the ACT EQ2 plugin HERE that says the creator will need to update the plugin to display properly.
  20. Ishtannia Member

i cant play eq2 now no matter what i try. since this patch yesterday, i can no longer get on. any help or suggestions? the one day off i get and cant even play =( help! i tried everything in the tech suggestions on that forum page. hoping someone here will know how to fix it.