Priority of Social Media over official forums

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avirodar, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suka Well-Known Member

i think that was the point. some of it gets posted here, but some of it never makes it to the forums. people want to see it on the forums and then if it is added to other media we don't care. but we shouldn't feel we are missing out on stuff because it isn't posted to the forums.

and yes i agree- she does do an awesome job. the people others are complaining about are not her.
    Griff, Rhodris and Milliebii like this.
  2. SteelPiston Active Member

I think SOE forgets that the majority of it's EQ2 player base is over 30 and old school. I do not and have no interest in being one of the phone twitching generation that stares all day at a Smart Phone screen, stroking the pages.

Interestingly enough, my primary source of information is http://eq2wire.com/ I'll look at that for a few minutes before logging into to EQ2 each day.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, Katz and 5 others like this.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

hmm- before i left facebook, i can tell you that a lot of people must have questionable ideas of what good behavior is. from people who bully others on facebook, to those who give out information on themselves and others best kept private, and on to others who have incited other people to violence ( look at the kids that murdered another kid because of a mythical facebook person they believed in). So please don't try to tell us that people on facebook have better manners. they don't. and also, to set up a fake facebook account, all you need is a free yahoo account and the ability to lie effectively. if you never change your browser, facebook will never really question your identity. i had no problems until i reinstalled my computer and then they didn't recognize my footprint anymore.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, Griff and 2 others like this.
  4. Milliebii Well-Known Member

Really??

SOE has our real information, they got it for billing purposes. To use these forums you have to log in to your account. Facebook on the other hand is not only a separate company but does not confirm identity in any way.

As for wanting "a strong presence" on social media, I could care less. I only get involved in it when it is convenient for me.
    Wirewhisker and suka like this.
  5. Taysa Well-Known Member

Luperza,

I don't think anyone is asking SoE to stop using social media. That's not what this is about.

This is about social media getting the digs first, and sometimes only. This is about some of the developers completely abandoning these forums. The official forums. Your priorities should be to funnel social media people HERE to talk about the game.

That whole bit about offering 2 free days due to the obvious screw up with someone who handles your bills? It was never an official announcement. I had to dig around on your Facebook page to find it. It was a response to people who posted on the page's wall. But it was never "officially" announced. And it certainly wasn't posted anywhere on these forums by a red name. That's kind of need-to-know information for those that DO have a subscription.

I'm sure if I dug harder, I could find other examples where social media has gotten information that wasn't readily available on your official forums, but that example is the freshest one I could find.

This whole forums vs. social media is not a new issue. We've been fighting it and speaking out about it for years and it just seems like you guys want to funnel us into Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Twitch, Youtube, and Reddit. If that's the way you guys really feel about it, close the forums completely. But please don't insult us and say everything that is posted to social media is readily available here. It isn't. If Smedley does a Q&A on Reddit, or if Dave releases some tidbit of information important to EQ2 on Facebook, it won't get posted here unless a player posts it. That's just the way it is and that's the way it has been for years.

If I want information pertaining to this game, I should be able to come here and find it. Period. Every announcement that is made about and pertaining to this game should be available to view somewhere on this website. But it isn't, and instead players are being forced to sift through thousands of tweets, hundreds of Facebook posts, sit through hours of video on Youtube/Twitch to get the full picture. That's not right and it's not ideal.

We're not asking you to give up social media. We're asking you (collective SoE/EQ2 developers "you") to show your official forums the same love you show those other sites. That's all.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, knightowl and 7 others like this.
  6. Griff Well-Known Member

It's a solution that I also use; beyond any doubt Feldon serves this community greatly with EQ-Wire. The question however remains why Feldon is able to keep players on a 3rd party EQ2 community site up-to-date, yet it's a burden to do so here? This site is also part of a community, one that is administrated by an awesome community manager.

It just seems awkward to have to visit the forums that many of us enjoy, then hit a link to the tweet if it happens to be listed here, then hit a link to EQ-Wire to see if we missed anything. How about when someone mentions an announcement in the chat of the game that you did not hear about, when you just left the forums here? Happens more often than one might think.

Heck, if I did tweet (which I don't); I would tweet "Visit our forums, their nothing like WoW's". We have some real talent here and some very dedicated players that enjoy debating views, sharing ideas and making good suggestions.
    Wirewhisker, Ahupu, Avahlynn and 5 others like this.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Again with the exaggeration. I already laid this out very simply on the last page. All this new-fangled stuff (to use the age-appropriate term) still works on a computer and requires little or no surrendering of info. It's so insanely simple. I got my 80+ year old grandfather sending emails (and generally knowing how to operate a computer) years ago. If he was still around, he might have sent one or two tweets. You can bookmark SOE's or EQ2's twitter page.
  8. Milliebii Well-Known Member

Exaggeration? I see no exaggeration there, an opinion sure but no exaggeration.

. Your post however is hyperbole.
    Wirewhisker, Ahupu, Avahlynn and 2 others like this.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

it's not about how simple it is. you are missing the point entirely.
    1. a lot of us don't trust the social sites and refuse to use them.
    2. anytime there is a news release or something put out to the public, it should have been posted in the news section of the forums first. we shouldn't hear it from another source.
    3. there is no reason why we should have to search several sites for information on a game we are paying for when there is an official news section in the official forums.
    4. the more time we spend on the social networks looking for information on our game, the less time we have to spend playing it.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, Avahlynn and 3 others like this.
  10. Naudi Active Member

Anyone remember the Station Launcher with the chat functionality in game and out of game? Pretty sure when it was around and being maintained a lot of people loved it. Maybe a revisit to bringing that back and updated as another 'official SOE' based way of getting our info about our game from the game company and not a third party social media site. I know it also worked as a multi SOE game launcher as well, but I wouldn't want to see the bloated dog-and-pony show current other games use in their launchpads. Nice, simple to use. Hell I even keep the old .exe of this program around I liked it so much!
  11. Milliebii Well-Known Member

While I liked the old launcher too, it had its problems and is now a thing of the past.

In any case the problem appears too many 'official SOE' ways of getting information about EQ2 and not too few.

IMHO there should be one and only one primary way for SOE to communicate with the EQ2 players, with as many secondary options as they think merited. For my money this is these forums. By all means echo "red name" posts and announcements on Social Media, just start the ball rolling here.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, Ahupu and 2 others like this.
  12. aspekx Well-Known Member

every organization or company needs one official outlet that everyone knows to check for the latest information.

if you want that to be a social media outlet, that's fine.

however, having to bounce around between multiple sites trying to track which dev or official spokesperson said what is a ridiculous expectation of your playerbase.
    Gash, Wirewhisker, Mermut and 6 others like this.
  13. Taysa Well-Known Member

And once again, your white-knighting causes you to miss the point completely.

Regardless, even just visiting EQ2's Twitter page will send Twitter information, and some people aren't comfortable with that. Same with Facebook.
  14. Lucus Well-Known Member

Seriously how hard is it for SOE Employees to log into both sites (forums +twitter/facebook)at the same time. form up a message that will fit on the site with the least number of characters allowed and copy and paste it into the submission forms and post them at the same time.

It takes the same amount of time to load, login and post on the forums as any other account based site.
    Wirewhisker, Taysa, Avahlynn and 2 others like this.
  15. Katz Well-Known Member

I snipped out the part that wasn't directed at my post.

First, I'd like to mention that I also think you are doing a great job Luperza. You interact with us in a very straight forward manner which I really appreciate. I also understand the part about making people accountable for what they post. However there are many many threads that people need to be able to edit. I was unaware that you could add extra editing rights.

Perhaps if there were a way of letting people know that is available and listing what type of threads would be appropriate and how to request this. One such type of thread that comes to mind are the consolidated decorated houses threads that people start in the homeshow section where they list the links to their housing threads. I find those very useful to refer to.

Do you automatically let the stickied guides have extra editing rights? I can see where those would be better maintained if the first post could be edited to update. And at the very least some of the threads get a lot of views. Look at the one linked below. Over 150,000 views. I realize that thread was started almost 2 years ago but I go back to it still when I am checking to see if I've missed something on one of my crafters.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/comprehensive-tradeskill-equipment-list.1294/

Thanks for listening to us.
    Livejazz and aspekx like this.
  16. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I just want to say that being over 30 & Old Skool does not preclude you from using social media. I'm 49, I use Facebook heavily, because in my other guise I enjoy arguing politics. I can't do that here on these forums, & FB lets me get cut-throat about it ;)

But that Twitter thing .... no. Just, no. That's where my old-fuddy-duddiness draws the line. :D
    Moonpanther and aspekx like this.
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

1. I addressed the trust issue.
    2. It does go there. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a little redundancy with how info is put out. If the DNS and hack issue isn't a good enough example, let's go back to 9/11/01 where no emergency alert was broadcast because one of the towers had the antenna on it. Now we're covered on radio, TV and smartphones.
    3. There's nothing to search.
    4. This is my favorite point because you're willing to spend more time trying to argue with me or try to complain about social media and various other things than you would visiting another site. You could have gotten so much done in game, yet here you are.

People can keep yelling at me all they want about missing the point. It's not the case. You're the ones missing the point of their being multiple avenues for news. I'm not white-knighting. You're just being too stuck in your ways.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

1. no - you didn't. you simply dismissed it as you usually do. not sure why you feel the need to jump on every post with an opposing view each time, maybe you have control issues. but if someone doesn't trust a media, especially if their past experience with said media led them to not trust it, glossing over their trust issues don't make them go away.

2. if all news were posted here first, no one would be complaining in this thread about it. a simple mass email could have covered the dns problem- just as they did during the hack- or did you forget the emails everyone received at that time?

3. apparently you haven't read what others are posting or you choose to ignore it. glad you are not a dev. we don't want to search through media to find answers to questions about what is going on with soe.
    4. it doesn't take long to check my interests in the forums- perhaps if you didn't feel the need to argue with us you might have more fun. no need to argue- simply stating facts as we see them. all of your posturing doesn't change them. nor does whitewashing them. someday everyone will begin to realize that social media, while useful, is not the end-all, be-all solution people want to think it is.
    Milliebii likes this.
  19. suka Well-Known Member

another thing: we are not yelling at you. you chose to directly address me so i answered you. but no one is yelling, no one is arguing. we are simply stating facts as we see them and asking for consideration. this is not in any way personally directed at you. if you are taking it personal, then perhaps you are too close to the situation to see it clearly.
    Milliebii likes this.
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

By the way, with facebook, there are plenty of people out there who use their character names or other made-up info.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.