Future Content: A Letter from Director of Development Dave Georgeson

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Jan 31, 2014.

1. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

Must be cause I'm getting older and more cynical due to life's happenings, but does anyone else feel that the missed week's weekly features was added to the subscription model change as an excuse to give the Dev Team more time to complete tasks?

Again, I felt that this weekly feature item was a bit much when announced and I dont like the Team being pushed so hard, but since it was implemented I was waiting for the weeks when nothing came out, or excuses came to say, "See this was a silly idea, and we told you so when it was announced."

Love this game, and hate the bad management decisions.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Andesite like this.
  2. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I think the weekly thing is a horrible idea. Enforced deadlines do not improve efficiency. This is proven over and over.

The only way to do it is to have a pile of passable "weekly" updates to throw in when the decent ones don't get done in time. Instead of refining them and presenting them when ready, you're just trying to meet bare minimums. That doesn't leave time for fixing old content either.

Meh.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Not to mention, when the heck are we going to have time to properly test (anyone remember Public Test server? isn't that our "job" there?) all this new content coming out every week? Sheesh; sounds like decisions made by people who have no idea what programming is like, especially with a reduced staff. :-/

Uwk
    ramblinrod likes this.
  4. Luperza Community Manager

Hey everyone!

Let's try to keep this thread productive, so be weary of your tone and word choices. Express how you feel in a constructive manner. :)

-----
    Our QA and Dev Team have been watching bugs like a hawk and we implore you to let us know when you find bugs as well. :)

I just want to clarify that Weekly Updates does not mean we are only working on something for a weeks worth of time. Some tasks take months to complete, but you, as a player, will continue to get content weekly even though we are working on things months in advance. :)

Hope that helps a bit!
  5. Andesite Member

Are we getting one this week? There wasn't one last week =(
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Luperza Community Manager

We pushed the new Darklight Palace Prestige House live today!

We are going to have an update next week as we had to hold off on this week's update due to the new All Access plan being pushed back. (We have some code, UI, etc linked to the All Access plan and couldn't go live with some of the content without breaking other content. :p )
    ramblinrod and Feldon like this.
  7. Andesite Member

Oh, okay thank you!
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

Weekly updates are putting huge stresses on the EQ2 team. I hope they go the way of the Dodo and we get back to a timeline that's actually doable without causing hair loss to our developers.
  9. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

I agree, but from Luperza's post above, it's here to stay, and now even SC items are considered weekly features, which I wouldn't think would count but guess it does, considering it's only content that you need to purchase to enjoy and not part of the game for all over us, unless we choose to and have more disposable income. Again, bad idea, but its causing some more cynical thoughts in many, including me, of what truly is a 'weekly feature'.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Calthine Well-Known Member

Not necessarily: So were quarterly big game updates and adventure packs.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Feldon like this.
  11. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

Ok, like those mentioned they were here to stay... for the time being :)
    Calthine likes this.
  12. Luperza Community Manager

I wouldn't consider the house a "Weekly Feature," but it was content that was part of our Weekly Feature Update. We were able to have it go live because it's not linked to anything with All Access. :)

As we are a F2P game, some content will be purchasable because we all have to feed our families (AKA my cat) and what not. :p BUT! We will continue to provide plenty of free content as per normal, so do not fret Norrathians.

Regarding the house particularly, there have been plenty of houses in the past that we have given out for free and we'll have more in the future.
  13. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

While I do appreciate your response, and all your hardwork you do, as evidenced by my sub for 7+ years, this sentence makes me quite sad... we aren't a total F2P game... we are some sort of weird hybrid due to a sub game wanting to be a true F2P game.

I do hope that the new membership model, will in fact, bring in more revenue for a game I love, and I hope that members get many many perks for their contribution and devotion to it. Just hit a nerve seeing EQ2 and F2P in the same sentence... memories and all. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Feldon like this.
  14. Nayen Member

Can I purchase a functional scout and tank pet for my summoner from the marketplace?
    Feldon likes this.
  15. Luperza Community Manager

True! We are working on ways to provide more benefits to our All Access members (currently varying membership subscribers). If you have any suggestions, please keep sending them our way.
  16. Katanallama Well-Known Member

random claimable bunny house items once per month on top of the 500 sc :3
    Luperza likes this.
  17. Mae- Well-Known Member

While I in no way support SC items alone being considered a "weekly feature," you should remember that all access will be earning 500SC each month they claim it, so we are able to save that up and buy these things for the cost of our sub.
  18. Neiloch Well-Known Member

It would be nice if subscribers had an option. If they add a new big deal thing on the marketplace you can claim one of the new thing (even if its over 500 sc) or the 500 SC itself. It might be overly generous in some cases.

So far for EQ2 and DCUO the benefits for subbing to fall in line from what I have seen in other F2P MMO's that offer a sub or '30 day package' in their stores. Other things I can think of aren't compatible with how EQ2 is set up, mainly how zones work on timers rather than 'loot lockouts' or limited amount of runs.
  19. Malleria Well-Known Member

Not only are new marketplace items considered enough for a weekly feature, it irks the heck out of me that they used something they should have released a year ago to cover their failure. The Darklight Palace should have been released the second it was finished, not held in reserve for when they screw up and need to placate people. It really makes you wonder what else is actually done and they're hanging on to for a rainy day.
  20. Andesite Member

They should totally give us +5 aas every week they have been too busy to release anything else.

What im trying to say here is I like aa's