Make "IGNORE" function Account Wide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by KrayzeeYou, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balbasur Active Member

the community already said no, stop beating a dead horse.
  2. Juraviel Active Member

Today on AB was a fine example of why an account-wide ignore would come in handy.

Some idiot repeatedly kept spamming the Auction channel with "is anyone from Legionnaires of doom on?" He was spamming this about every 30 seconds, even though plenty of people explained to them how to do a /who all and that there was nobody from that guild online. People started ignoring this person, myself included, and it continued....

That person apparently logged in on another character or rolled an alt and did the same thing. This went on for at least 30-40 minutes and across a number of different characters as they kept switching or making characters.

Now I am well aware that they could have also just been making new accounts with each new character. They were fairly quick to switch and continue the spamming so I think they were just making new characters, not accounts. Either way, being able to flag their account(s) by ignoring one character would have saved a lot of folks from grief today.
    Sigrdrifa and Torvaldr like this.
  3. Vladislav Active Member

There are not so many trolls in game that ignoring them would "lead to a very quiet existence." More likely scenario is those trolls will feel like they are talking to a wall when they try to engage the channel. Which would be awesome. A sometimes helpful, sometimes racist troll is still a troll and I like to be able to decide whether or not to judge that person based on one or more incident. This function exists in other games without your gloom and doom predictions and works great. It will work great in eq2 as well.
    It sounds like you are trying to argue against any version of /ignore command in game, and making excuses as to why people are putting you on their ignore list. I bet not one of them considers it a "loss". Why do you care if the /ignore command is account-wide? No one is making you use it. The only reason that I can see why is if you have a "trolling" alt to have fun with on slow nights. In that case, you are making the point why this game so sorely needs it.
    Sigrdrifa and Cloudrat like this.
  4. Juraviel Active Member

I am a part of the community and I am all for an account-wide ignore. See above.
  5. Vladislav Active Member

Perhaps you want to share a link with community saying no? I see a number of people in this thread alone saying yes. Cursory look over shows more individuals are for it than against.
  6. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Well there you have it folks. A perfect example of why this change is needed.

There are people in this game that no matter how condescending, abusive or disrespectful they are ....they will just chalk it up by saying "your soft-skinned"
  7. Balbasur Active Member

Mae is right tho, some people need to learn to blow thing off, life is too short to worry about petty things.
  8. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

That's a very judgmental statement, there.

Also? Choosing not to listen to a troll by ignoring them is a fine way to "avoid a petty thing", or in this case, petty troll.
  9. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I still agree with the folks asking for this. if I wanted to ignore Mae becuase we got into yet ANOTHER argument over the 'last 8' then I shouldn't have to also type in the names of her halfling army, either :p

but yes, if I have someone on ignore, it's because I don't want to deal with them. that includes their alts. that includes their potentially super dpsing wizard from a raid guild leading a group that someone else in the group adverstised needed another player. if they can't invite cause they're ignored, then I wouldn't want to be in the group in the first place. I don't care how uber your skill is on your 'raid toon' you're a nice guy on because your raid/guild leader demands it, you were an insufferable *** on the other, and I don't want to deal with you. and by that 'you' I mean the human behind the keyboard, not just the toon itself.
    Sigrdrifa, Mermut, Torvaldr and 2 others like this.
  10. Mae- Well-Known Member

Do you know me? Do you have any basis for stating I am "condescending, abusive or disrespectful"? You do realize I've been playing this game a very long time right? And in that time, I've grown up. 9 years tends to do that to a person. I am not the same person I was even 3 years ago, but someone made a judgement call on me back then, and they miss out on the awesome I am now. Am I brash and a little bit egotistical? Sure I am. But at the end of the day, I do FAR more good than bad, and the bad I do is generally in jest.

I am not against ignore. By all means, ignore me and all my alts (none are hidden, all 14 are available for anyone that cares to look). But I honestly believe that this is completely unnecessary and would be a waste of development time to create in this game. Let's be real here... how much of your game time is taken up by ignoring people? If it is so much that this feels like a necessity to you, then either you are far too easily offended/annoyed, and need to learn to live and let live, or your server is in some real dire straits. I've never seen anything remotely close to the stories people keep stating here happening on Unrest, so I find it hard to believe (tho it might actually be happening as you say) that it's as bad and chronic as stated.

If account-wide ignore should show up in EQN, I won't be there crying that it needs to change, I would just deal. But I feel bad for people who make snap judgments based on a single conversation and miss out on the awesome that is Me.
  11. Tinkerbe Active Member

Really? Which community is that? The "Free speech for trolls" community? Didn't know your little community made all the decisions. If you really want the thread to fade away, stop bumping it by replying.
  12. Alton Member

I'm sorry, but I couldn't pass up the irony of this.

Just so you know, the people who you dismiss with the "get thicker skin" comment feel the same way you do right now.

So, a lesson to be learned? Everyone has a different level of "skin" depending on their upbringing/environment/experiences.
    Sigrdrifa, Vladislav and Cloudrat like this.
  13. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

No shock to me. but not relevant. This just means if account wide ignore is happily implemented, people might want to rethink how they apply it:) It will still be a welcome resource to some players. Like those with 50 alts and don't want to adjust lists on each and every one of them with the 42 names of someone else's alts.

If you sell me slots then give me UI to accommodate them.
  14. Balbasur Active Member

This is a non issue. They should lock this thread, it's just silly.
  15. Vandrago Active Member

So silly that you continue to bump it?
    Sigrdrifa and Avahlynn like this.
  16. Balbasur Active Member

No a sense that it's a non factor silly.
  17. Vladislav Active Member

I thought you were going to show us where community said no on this topic? You provided exactly zero reasons for not upgrading /ignore feature to be account-wide, electing to throw 1-line negatives instead.
    Sigrdrifa and Avahlynn like this.
  18. Balbasur Active Member

reread thread quiet a few
  19. Vladislav Active Member

I have. Calling something "silly" or attacking others as "immature" and "miserable" is not the same as providing a valid argument for your position. Perhaps you would like to read up on argumentative writing? I still do not see a link to community saying no in any of your responses.

Let me help you - "I feel that changing /ignore command to be account-wide is silly because...
    Argument 1:
    Argument 2:"

Lets see something about functionality of current /ignore and how it relates to account-wide version (hopefully without further attacks on people that use it.)
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  20. Balbasur Active Member

I think what you just wrote is rather silly. Just like having an account wide ignore, it's silly. Many others agree, as are the majority. Please go reread the thread.

Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.