How to Make Money in Norrath: A Guide for New and Old Alike

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sigrdrifa, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Fuzion New Member

Since this is a forum aimed at new players and returning players, would it be possible to use the full names of places instead of acronyms? I have nooo idea what OOA, DC and PR is and haven't figured out the links to use to try to puzzle what those acronyms are, nor played the game to that point.
    adaria and Nockturnal like this.
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

OOA is Obelisk of Ahkzul (in Moors of Yakesha); DC is Dread Cutter (chains of eternity zone) comes in solo, heroic and x4 raid zone; PR is Protector's Realm (lvl 80-85 x4 raid zone).

If you are lvl 95 run Vestigial Cella (heroic zone) in Stonebrunt Highlands. You can molo it for gear that lvl 90 to trunsmute and get frozen mana and other adprning mats. You can reset it every 90 min.
  3. Oldtimer Active Member

Not a bad basic plat guide.

However a couple of things so you don't go wasting time on them. Since SOE broke crafting with harvesters AND 1 touch multi-crafting, Bags (Search 'Thick Bear Pack') are super cheap now - I would not recommend making a tailor to make money. Provisioner also - once maybe made money but now you can just use level 95 food and it scales to level much better than anything of that actual level.

-got to run, but will post some more thoughts later
  4. Extremeties Member

Whats the deal with DC? I keep hearing people mention running it for stuff. What is there that I dont know about the zone? Higher drop rate or something?
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

"DC" in this case is Dreadcutter (not Deathfist Citadel) and it is the quickest heroic instance in COE.
  6. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

what are some under lvl 60 areas to run for some extra coin? Most of the people looking to build up their bank account are way under lvl 90-95
    Geroblue and Avahlynn like this.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Just about every tier up to and even past level 60 has a few shinies / shineys (whichever spelling you prefer*) that are more rare than others. By analyzing the market and seeing which ones are regularly priced by different players at several plat, finding out where those collectibles spawn, and gathering shinies until you find enough of the rare ones to make a decent profit. If the area within which you happen to be hunting for collectibles also happens to have harvest nodes, you can also harvest these. If your harvest skill is high enough, you stand a chance of obtaining rares - some of which can be sold for a considerable sum (especially in large quantities). If the skill isn't high enough, thanks to recent changes, you can harvest within whatever zone you happen to be hunting for collectibles, and you will still get skill ups - you just won't get any rares until your harvest skill meets or exceeds the minimum for that zone. Depending upon the specific common harvest, you might be able to make some decent coin from those, as well. (Some will only be worth 1c, but others may be worth a number of silver or even gold - each - which can really add up with a stack size of 200.)

* But not shinnies** - that is literally an action involving climbing (usually something that is roughly cylindrical) by gripping the object being climbed with both the arms and the legs, then alternating between the arms and legs to grip higher or lower upon the object***. As in he shinnies up that pole rather quickly or she shinnies down the tree faster than anyone I know.
    ** In some dialects of English, this action is referred to as shimmying instead of shinnying.
    *** Not that it is relevant to the point, but if someone uses shinnies in place of shinies or shineys from this point on, it will be because they either haven't read this post, or they are spelling it wrong on purpose. :p
    Prissetta, Ahupu, ConcealFate and 2 others like this.
  8. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

It's not running a zone but my provisioner on AB, Eirinin? Does nice business with her sales of food and drink. Everyone needs yummy food, amirite?

She also does well selling items like scrying stones/status type coins, water, bones, and shinies.
  9. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Low level adv/high level crafters can gain plat and some impressive xp doing 3 repeatable quests in ToV that only require gathering things. Seems the only requirement is that you have a flying mount.
    Each quest rewards 1p 55g, and can be repeated in approximately 2 hours (never actually tried to time it).
  10. Ranga Active Member

I spent 3 hours shinnying yesterday and made 50p before the evening was out - very profitable
    Ahupu, ConcealFate and Avahlynn like this.
  11. Ranga Active Member

Try Shimmering Citadel/Poets Palace (Part of Deserts of Flame) and Klakanon
  12. DreadRoberts Active Member

Low level (lvl 10) shinies, for some reason, tend to go for a pretty petty or three on most servers. The rarer ones, like spotted butterflies, usually go for about 1 plat each or more. There's competition for 'em, though. Try to play nice. ;)
  13. Ragna Well-Known Member

This will work on most servers for lvl 50+.... at least until everyone do it :)
    Shinies are definitly the best way to "farm" PP if you're Gold (iow have a free access to the Broker. It would work too for a F2P with a "Gold friend" willing to sell for him/her.)
    Which shinies are the most profitable depends on your server, Spot a "niche market", make PP, go to another "niche market", make PP.... rince and repeat. Just focus on any rarely runned - on your server - zone and milk it.

Some other places that might - or not.. again depending on your server - be worth a shot are Forbidden City/Nizara (for book pages mostly), Runnyeye 2, Nek3 (Beware you can't see pages [!] once you have turned the collection), Unrest and New Tunaria.
  14. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Crafter pink shinies...convert them to Spirit Anchors and sell those.
  15. Nynaeve Active Member

is that still true? about the weight? I haven't seen any message "you are encumbered" or anything like it. and I've been running around with 6x40 slots since level 1
  16. DreadRoberts Active Member

To my knowledge, encumbrance has been gone for quite some time (thank the Gods).
  17. Noneyah New Member

items and also make items for my guild. For instance, I had to wait a few days for my apprentice to research the recipe for Celestial Elixir of Intellect including crafting for the apprentice and sharing knowledge it still took some days. I finally get the recipe and go to search for celestial mote on the broker. On the broker its starting listing price is 52 plat. It takes five of those to make the potion. (one potion) very costly. Also on the broker the potion's starting price is 550 plat. I was amazed. Nobuddy isn't going to pay that much for it. so i would be wasting my plat just to buy the mat for it to make it. I was told that the mat drops in raid zones such as Arena of Gods. Only thing is guilds including mine put recipes and Mats in that tier or whatever in the guild bank which kind of defeats my goal besides making it for guild i was hoping to be able make the potions for myself me being a warlock and also selling it for plat. I am finding that issue with other recipes where you can only get them in raid zones which you need people to raid with and then youre bidding against I don't know like.. 24 people etc.. in which you are using dkp points for which well is kind rediculious especially when you want to use your dkp for armor, jewelry etc.. especially if you are in a raiding guild like I am . So what is the point in being a level 95 crafter especially after doing tradeskill timelines and you cant even make half the more valuable recipes??? Speaking of timelines ha ha ha I did the destiny of velious tradeskill timeline so i can get the neck piece and come to find out i need 9 or 8 other types of crafters to make the mats for me so i can craft it. What is bad about it, is not needing the other crafters its having it to be in an exact order. Meaning i cant just go find a sage and say hey can you make this mat for me. the sage for one has to have done the timeline also and on top of that I can't have a sage make it until I have a woodworker make a mat first then so on in a certain order. So i wasted all that time doing the quest not knowing that. I didn't realize it and yes i did look it up on wikia but i didn't realize that is what the quest meant when it discussed the dif crafts i just thought i would do all of them because the timeline had me crafting things on different crafting tables before anyone says anything lol. don't mean to complain. Im still getting used to this game only been playing for about a year or so. I don't mean to offend soe or anybody else but I am kind of disappointed. :-( I am not that knowledge about this game as far as making alternative suggestions because for one, I know that there are real veteran players that played for years and they have a problem with soe making things easier because it was hard for them. However, the reality of it all is that no one can afford to pay that much for that one potion and its a very nice potion and it makes it difficult to profit when you have people listing items that high so then it ups the price on the mats and the mats well you can only get them in raid. If anyone has any suggestions for me or soe please share them. :)
  18. Noneyah New Member

I recently finally leveled my alchemy. I am very disappointed. I had thought I would finally be able to make some plat by selling items and also make items for my guild. For instance, I had to wait a few days for my apprentice to research the recipe for Celestial Elixir of Intellect including crafting for the apprentice and sharing knowledge it still took some days. I finally get the recipe and go to search for celestial mote on the broker. On the broker its starting listing price is 52 plat. It takes five of those to make the potion. (one potion) very costly. Also on the broker the potion's starting price is 550 plat. I was amazed. Nobuddy isn't going to pay that much for it. so i would be wasting my plat just to buy the mat for it to make it. I was told that the mat drops in raid zones such as Arena of Gods. Only thing is guilds including mine put recipes and Mats in that tier or whatever in the guild bank which kind of defeats my goal besides making it for guild i was hoping to be able make the potions for myself me being a warlock and also selling it for plat. I am finding that issue with other recipes where you can only get them in raid zones which you need people to raid with and then youre bidding against I don't know like.. 24 people etc.. in which you are using dkp points for which well is kind rediculious especially when you want to use your dkp for armor, jewelry etc.. especially if you are in a raiding guild like I am . So what is the point in being a level 95 crafter especially after doing tradeskill timelines and you cant even make half the more valuable recipes??? Speaking of timelines ha ha ha I did the destiny of velious tradeskill timeline so i can get the neck piece and come to find out i need 9 or 8 other types of crafters to make the mats for me so i can craft it. What is bad about it, is not needing the other crafters its having it to be in an exact order. Meaning i cant just go find a sage and say hey can you make this mat for me. the sage for one has to have done the timeline also and on top of that I can't have a sage make it until I have a woodworker make a mat first then so on in a certain order. So i wasted all that time doing the quest not knowing that. I didn't realize it and yes i did look it up on wikia but i didn't realize that is what the quest meant when it discussed the dif crafts i just thought i would do all of them because the timeline had me crafting things on different crafting tables before anyone says anything lol. don't mean to complain. Im still getting used to this game only been playing for about a year or so. I don't mean to offend soe or anybody else but I am kind of disappointed. :-( I am not that knowledge about this game as far as making alternative suggestions because for one, I know that there are real veteran players that played for years and they have a problem with soe making things easier because it was hard for them. However, the reality of it all is that no one can afford to pay that much for that one potion and its a very nice potion and it makes it difficult to profit when you have people listing items that high so then it ups the price on the mats and the mats well you can only get them in raid. If anyone has any suggestions for me or soe please share them. :)
  19. Noneyah New Member

sorry for some reason the first post got cut off in the beginning why i posted it twice don't know how to delete my first post. all apologies
  20. Ahupu Well-Known Member

You can actually request that a mod delete the first post, they do not allow us to delete our own (short of editing and leaving a blank post within the first 30 minutes). They want us to be accountable for what we say, which is annoying when something glitches like it did for you and a double post happens and all you want to do is get rid of the extra. Oh and to ask a mod to do it simply report yourself on that particular post and explain why you want it removed.