Tanking and what class to play?!

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Havenbrook, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Havenbrook New Member

Hey everyone. I am a returning player. I have not played in several years. I would like to tank this go around, as I was a healer and did a Troubador last time i played. My question is, which tanks are going to be the most useful in a group and raid setting? I was checking out a SK, they seem pretty fun and full of AoE. I have always been facinated by Paladins in other games and really want to try it out.

Anyone have any suggestions over the three true tank classes?
    Shadow Knight, Paladin, or Guardian?
  2. guard Active Member

I would say play a guardian (but I am a guardian ) but log on to any server now and you will see lots of guardians about
  3. Bashem Well-Known Member

Well I am a zerker and love mine but if your endgame is to be the person for groups and raids and easy to hold mobs believe guard is what you want. I think any tank with proper gear and AA spec and strategy should work. Might want to play them all until level 20 or so to see if you going to enjoy playing them. I know I made a SK long ago and did not fit for me so test out what you want first because once you get to 95 you dont want to find out not happy with your choice.
    Ladymist likes this.
  4. Darkon Well-Known Member

Tanks right now are ranked in the following order ->

Zerker -> Paladin -> Sk -> Guardian -> Monk -> Bruiser

There are situations where certain tanks are better than others, but that's the general 'tanking power scale' currently.
    Pohondo likes this.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Really Darkon is right, I can say that as a Guardian Main, a Paladin Alt and a SK of long ago. Comparing what I do to others there are some fights where a Guardian will come on top or even a Monk will come on top, but currently general power levels are as he listed.

If you want to AE-Tank Heroic Content and OT-AE-Tank Raids you best bet is Zerker/SK as they also have the luxury of being able to Tank for a bit while Reckless is on unlike Guard/Pally/Monk who lose the buff if they are so much as swung at.

Sigh, Recklessness was such a band-aid fix to actually retuning the classes to be where they should be as a class.
  6. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Monks are awesome, don't let the brawler-haters fool you. They just take a bit more thought to play effectively.
  7. Corydonn Well-Known Member

Fixed!
  8. olleran Active Member

Hardly surprising to see that list after all the whinges in CoE from the same few vocal plate tanks that were brawlers were OP and needed to be nerfed.

Yes, all tanks look balanced now , NOT
  9. Silzin Active Member

there where a few focused nerfs to both brawlers, on top on the changes to gear also hurting brawlers, is making it much harder on both brawlers this xpac.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

I have a bruiser alt, and to be honest I've rarely seen a time when they have been better than a monk at anything. A few AE CAs aside.

Maybe it's finally time to betray him to a monk.
  11. Kalika Well-Known Member

I quite enjoy my paladin, holding agro with full tank gear and low dps mod
    is easy with amend and sceal of heroism (other may need agro transfert or agro mod classes). Temp are quite nice too.

Just an example on Gangel the undying fury hps was 30k (very very low) with my paladin. Same mob wit my warden healing a sk, and i get at least 60K hps.

Sk analoguous to tower of stone last twice longer but have a longer recast. It seems to me that the sk one is sort of better since encouters are usually short.

What i like too with the paladin is the ability to resurect your healer and to buf his/her defense.

The big limit (of both crusaders) is that divine aura only works for hits less than half your hps.

Te main advantage of Sks is to show off and be high on the dps parse, but there are 4 peoples to deal damage, so it's not that important.
    I m not sure about reckless, when i do Asolo it seems that it does not suspend at all, but i don't run them with my toon sheet open and watch if my potency drop or not. I don't use it in group, i m there to be as solid as possible and to generate as much agro as i can => defensive stance all the time.

Last generally speaking Guardians and Paladins are much better teamates than Sks and berzekers (obviously there are many good sk and zerk but also hords of terrible ones that think that they are dps classes and that are not much more solid than my healers.
  12. Silzin Active Member

I have seen several of the top brawlers betray back and forth between Monk and Bruiser for what is needed for the latest End Game Progression Fight. Bruiser's First kill tanked several of the CoE HM Named... out side of these types of situation, i think the brawlers (More then any other class is EQ2) comes down to play preference... I know Bruisers are more AoE powered then monks (outside of Dragonfire Prestige) and Monks should be more ST based... but the lines between monks and bruisers have been blurred SO much i think we both need to have abilities looked at.
  13. Genghes Active Member

I love how people put bruises at the end for a tank class /clap. They definitely hurt bruises the most with the combination of nerf and gear change. However, if you cannot handle yourself in heroic or raid tanking as a bruiser then you're doing it wrong. The biggest issue is ae hate when you don't have everything up aoe wise.
    Estred likes this.
  14. Kalika Well-Known Member

Monks/bruisers are quite rare as tank (in PUG) on the rare occasion i got one
    as MT and geared for tanking healing them was very easy, and they held agro nicely.
    Genghes likes this.
  15. Estred Well-Known Member

There were focused nerfs to Brawlers because there was an abnormally high concentration of Brawler Players. This hints at class imbalance because players, by nature, inherently go for what is the most effective with the least effort involved. I can say as a Raider that I have watched a Monk MT all raid content in the 1st Wing of Temple of Veeshan: Guardian's Edifice.
  16. Corydonn Well-Known Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just sayin.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

He has one right point, if you know what your doing you can tank any class.

Is he right about bruisers... well I don't play one so I wouldn't know though I know a number I can ask about "what" causes them hate issues.
  18. Regolas Well-Known Member

Never really had an issue with hate as a bruiser, just getting one shotted at random because I didn't use a temp (how do you know when an autoattack is going to hit for high damage or not? With a proc!)

Happened to me in PoW all the time. I've got no issue with using temps on scripts or obvious areas, but needing them up all the time just in case the RNG gets you sucks.
  19. Genghes Active Member

After getting mit armor I stopped getting one shotted
  20. Regolas Well-Known Member

What mit level are you?

My bruiser is down the list of alts I'm gearing but has received a few decent pieces via my warden (I'm yet to actually group with him yet though). He has a few potent, arcane bp and the rest is quest stuff (mit stuff though). He only has 7.5k mit without temp mit buff (that can't be up all the time).