Paladin Guide to Success

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Maergoth, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Maergoth Well-Known Member

there's no "target" mitigation value. Pick it up where you can, grab a couple adorns for it, etc. Crushing slashing and piercing are the easiest way to improve hit rates. I'd put a couple of those adorns on your gear.
  2. Cyrde Member

Things like body pulling are tank basics. To learn the aggro range of mobs, try to seperatre encounters is essential. But like Maergoth, I think ppl learn it themselve while leveling and grouping.
    Somebody always knows something and sometimes it's even useful :)
    If you can't reach Maergoth, feel free to PM me for questions. There are not really many old Paladins around anymore.
  3. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Hopefully there will be after the expansion. We should be in good shape at that point :p
  4. Cyrde Member

Jee...seeing my bad grammar now without being able to correct it hurts badly :D
  5. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Not bad for a Euro!
  6. Grisweld Member

I've got most of the areas covered. I'm actually an old mt from KoS days. I used to MT for warlords on nektulous before all the servers merged. Its just coming back with all the new changes I wanted to know my target areas for the new statistics. There wasn't any multi attack, aa's, flurry, or anything. I've been tanking a lot of instances lately and got my groove back. :). once again thanks for the info and support and hopefully soon I can join you guys back in the elite tanks of pallys!
  7. Cyrde Member

thx! :)
  8. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Updating this is going to cause cancer, I just know it.. bleh.

Wing it for a couple months following expansion, bros. Everything's getting turned upside-down :|
  9. Grisweld Member

Haha yea. Reading up on new changes I think its better with the ma/dps mod switch. Plus us pallys have a sweet edge with our %heals with the new hp values. I think the picking which item set to balance out our stats might be a little tricky, but will be interesting. I've read multiple posts regarding many issues and find things that I agree and disagree with, but hey... Can't fuss too much till we see the final product. So far, I'm happy I main my beloved pally with this new xpac. What are you guys thoughts that are testing the beta about us?
  10. Ranga Active Member

I didnt understand the need to maintain raid member names in a mega rez macro, anyone elaborate? Thx!

Reason I ask is Im growing an alt pally and he's at 92 atm so I just wondered.
  11. Encori Active Member

It is not possible to write a macro to target the nearest friendly corpse; however it is possible to write a macro to target someone by name, whether they are alive or dead. And if you do this for everyone who might be dead, then you have achieved the same thing.
    (not literally target, but "use ability on player")

If you have the first and last entry in the mega macro cast res with no designated target, then you can manually target a corpse and expect the res to hit that corpse.
    If you leave 5 blanks, you can manually type in the names of people in your PUG, although you might not want to make that much effort. It would be better if they don't die. :)
  12. Maergoth Well-Known Member

The guide is a little dated. I'm going to update it once I get a grasp on all of it myself. As of right now, it's all kind of up in the air. The following is information requested by a person returning to the game, and may provide some clarification for others who see the thread and wonder what's going on.

Crit chance cap is determined by the content you're doing. Crit Chance is the current gating mechanism. 650 is the most you need for the hardest raids, 550 is the amount you want to get up to before stepping into heroic zones. You can adorn any slot with astral adornments of critical chance (greater), and will probably need to do so.

Having enough crit to do the content you're trying to do is the most important thing in the game. If you're not critting, get more.

Reuse speed was simplified with the expansion. You used to have spell reuse (easier to get) and ability reuse (harder to get). Both those values added up needed to be 100%, ideally.

Now, however, all reuse is the same. So now just get up to 90-100% reuse. You can reforge for it (If you don't have reforging, you should look into obtaining it somehow. Very important.

Gear has 2 different types of stats on it. The green primary stats and the blue secondary stats.

The green stats determine the quality of the item. An item that drops with 200 strength and stamina is of the same quality as another item with 200 str/sta.

The blue stats are a little more variable. They all have a certain value to them which is static, but some items might have cast speed, reuse speed, dps, haste, multi attack, etc. In any combination. It's safe to assume that two items with identical green stats have the same blue stat value, and reforging potential. Even if it's distributed in a different way. This is making is sound complicated, but it's important for reforging.

Crit bonus and potency used to function like green stats. Linear upgrades, every item has both. Whereas you may take an item with cast speed instead of DPS mod, you would never have to choose between crit bonus and cast speed, or potency and dps mod. They are delivered linearly, in addition to other blue stats.. Or they were.

Now, you have to make some choices. It's a lot more of a numbers game than it has been in a couple expansions. You may have to choose an item with tank stats instead of DPS stats. You may have to choose an item with an auto attack focus instead of a spell focus. An item focused on auto attack might provide DPS, weapon damage bonus (% modifier to attack damage) and crit bonus but no potency. A spell oriented thing may have potency and cast speed, but no crit bonus. Or you may choose to take something with mitigation increase and max health.

Your best bet currently is to take the option that gives crit bonus, potency, max health, and cast or reuse speed. Something along those lines. Every piece you have on should give max health (it's very important) and assuming you have reforging on your account (the ability to change blue stats around somewhat for coin), you can reforge the excessive cast speed or reuse speed into other blue stats. Once your important blue stats are taken care of, you can pick up more tank-oriented gear with mitigation, block chance, etc.

Get your blue stats capped first. All the big ones. That will keep you occupied for a while. You may lose some DPS or defensiveness here and there, but you will regain it overall and then some.
  13. Grisweld Member

Thanks for the update maergoth. Btw can you or cyrde look me up and tell me if im in the right direction stat and gear wise? Im trying to set myself up for OT but looking like i may MT quite a bit. I know my gloves are dps gloves but havent had a tank set drop. Should i go for the block or mit ones? Or just the hp/cb/pot/cast? I also have a mit rune, block rune, and ae auto rune being made for me so add those stats to their respective areas. Ive thought about reforging my ability mod to something as i dont see it making a huge difference. I generally average 300-500kdps in groups .. sometimes lower or higher depending on who im with and i tend to spam my own heals so i usually do 15kish to 100ksomething plus with crusaders faith. . Aoe dps i usually get 700-1.1mil. Is that about right for me or should i be doing more?? Thank u guys for the support
  14. Grisweld Member

Apparently my mount isnt on in my profile so consider those stats being added to me as well.
  15. Cyrde Member

Answered via Conversation :)
  16. Maergoth Well-Known Member

End of semester, I've been busy. Thanks for helping him out, Cyrdemac. Any other questions I will be glad to answer when I find time, lol.
  17. Grisweld Member

Most definently. I appteciate yalls time. And no worries maergoth. You write ups have helped tremendously. Keep rocking amigos.
  18. Grisweld Member

So how do you guys feel about Herecics Destruction?? I see some with it, some without. I personally use it and try to time it with my groups big spells, examples: Wizzys manaburn, conjys soulburn, bards vc, necros lifeburn, etc. I also try to pop consecrate when i run it to maximize my damage output.
  19. Maergoth Well-Known Member

It's nowhere near as powerful as when it came out, that's for sure. It equates to a ~5% boost in DPS raidwide for the duration if I had to guess. No reason not to take it though.
  20. Grisweld Member

Yea, ive ran ACT with it and compared and didnt see a huge difference. Im just trying to min/max my AA's and was thinking if those 2 points could go elsewhere... possibly more in the dragon tree.