collector's edition of TOV only digitial?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by duncan1745, Nov 17, 2013.

1. duncan1745 New Member

Is there a collector's TOV that is a physical edition? I bought the collector edition on the website but had thought it was physical.
  2. Caela Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they have stopped making physical copies of the game/expansions for a few years now. You can only get digital.
  3. duncan1745 New Member

Okay. I bought it. When I log in EQ2 with my 18 level character is Tears Of V downloaded into EQ2? How do you know you got it. There's no explanation after you buy it, just says you have purchased it.
  4. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

SOE hasn't shipped physical products in ages. Buying the expac flags your account for it, the patcher downloads it, and your perks are put in your /claim window.
  5. Kahonen Active Member

Never understood this. I wonder how much potential business SOE are losing by not having boxes on shelves?
  6. napu Member

its a relatively small user base now i think, and the people who do play it are generally tech savvy enough to be able to buy online.
    Online boxed games aren't really of interest to games collectors either, if the price of the classic ones on ebay are to go by.
    They should maybe called them premium editions, instead of collectors though.
  7. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Havent bought a box of some sort for years, normaly use some central base to download games (the legal way ^^).
    Well... i would do love to see some, but there is no need at all....
    Once i got a game, i do put in the dvd and guess what.... the hole game got downloaded ^^
    As european player you got used to it, as it had been removed since ages ^^ but.... we are left out for ages longer ^^
  8. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Aye. Boxes on shelf = visibility.
  9. Estal Well-Known Member

At least in the UK they loose close to nothing due to it, why? physical stores that sell games have in the last 10 years or so cut their pc games section in half each year to make more room for those stupid consoles.
    Malleria, Mermut and Kalderon like this.
  10. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You should see Vesspyr Isles as an option on the druid ring. The content is level 95, however, so you will need to do some leveling to enjoy the xpac.
    Kalderon likes this.
  11. Kalderon Well-Known Member

And even if you find a game which is nice on the shelf, it most likely to have a code of activation inside, which also let you download the whole game.... or had to be patched with a large amount, to get it started :(
    So welcome to the new age ;) (But prices stays the same ^^)
  12. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Well to be fair when I bought EQ1 for $40 gasoline was under a dollar per gallon (if only just), now I pay $2.87 for gas and the expac is still $40 so I cannot complain. Let the prices stay the same, the only way t would be an issue for me is if everything were cheaper than it was a decade or more ago.
    Finora likes this.
  13. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The only benefit I can recall from the box packages of EQ1 was a keychain once, LOL!
    Ahupu likes this.
  14. duncan1745 New Member

15. Feldon Well-Known Member

Next to none.

SOE tried a "Retail Headstart" with players who bought the expansion at a retail store getting access 7 days early. It was a disaster.

Retailers did not order any more boxes than were pre-ordered, and often not even enough to fulfill orders. As a result, there were no boxes left on shelves for unfamiliar customers to discover. It was a massive hassle for players who did not want to (or could not) get to one of those retailers, and put international players through an absolute wringer as for over 1 month, they had no place to order from and no idea how they would be able to order it. Some people even paid $140 for the Collector's Edition just to get overnight rush shipping.

There is a point where you are putting existing customers through he** just to try to win new ones. SOE crossed that line, and I doubt we got any new players as a result of it. They got plenty of bad will and angry customers though.

http://eq2wire.com/2009/11/12/everquest-ii-sentinels-fate-pre-order/
    http://eq2wire.com/2009/11/30/soe-marketing-dept-largest-roadblock-to-eq2-marketing/
  16. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Don't Forget the cool cloth map of Norrath :D.
    Feara likes this.
  17. Svenone Well-Known Member

Basically, all we got in hard copy was fluff. Maps that were never used. Keychains that were tossed in a drawer and forgotten. Media that was obsolete before you even bought it. That kind of things. The only thing that really mattered was the code to activate the expansion.

What SOE got (in theory, at least) was exposure to new customers...well, if there was a copy on the store shelf and the potential customer could see it past the massive Blizzard section hawking WoW, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (& 2 and even 1).
  18. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Which was extremely handy to have while still on dial-up 56k modem :p
  19. Feara Well-Known Member

When someone comes to my house they can plainly see what game I love. On my desk in a cubby hole I have all my EQ2 game/cd boxes and the large EQ2 book (8-10 years old). I just can't bring myself to throw them away.

I miss the box version. If it were available that is how I would prefer to buy it.

This is a change I can honestly say I don't like. I miss those days.
  20. RadarX Community Manager

Boxes are certainly nostalgic for a lot of folks. Keep in mind this isn't limited to just EverQuest 2 or even MMO games. Digital sales have been overtaking retail for quite some time so we do our best to provide the same value you used to get digitally.