Gold Membership

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feara, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Airos Active Member

Liar. :p

--------

As far as people who "can't afford" $15 per month, there's different degrees of "can't". I have to limit what I spend and where I spend it, and I try to limit myself to no more than 1 full retail price game per month. I just bought Saint's Row IV a couple weeks ago, so that $50 spent limits my funds to spend on any Steam sales or stray SC cards that " just happen" to fall into my shopping cart when I'm out and about.

I "can" afford $15 per month for EQ2, but that means I "can't" use that $15 per month for something else that may come along. Being able to play/pay under the current structure gives me that little bit of wiggle room so I don't ever feel like I'm losing anything if I skip a month on EQ2, whereas with a pure subscription-only model I would be completely locked out of my account and I would be very resistant to renewing.

I've seen a lot of people say that by just giving up 1-2 fast food meals it will cover the cost of a subscription. Well, some months I'd just rather have the fast food. ;)
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

[IMG]?

No wait. That's a lyre. :p

But just think how much healthier you be without the fast food*.

Either way, it's a value judgement each player has to make, though. I'll keep paying mine for the foreseeable future. The rest of you do whatever you want.

* I almost made it through that sentence with a straight face**. :D
    ** Almost. ;)
  3. Airos Active Member

[IMG]
    Just added a fresh card from Walmart tonight, and these were my options. :)
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

What shocks me is you found a card at Walmart. The told me a couple weeks ago they no longer stock Sony cards other than ps3
    Ajjantis likes this.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

They sell them at my walmart. Huge rack of sc cards, the 1500 + 500 style. You can look at walmart online and they will tell you the nearest store that carries them. :)
  6. Airos Active Member

I would check back on your next trip. I've found that, well, the person stocking the shelves and/or running the register isn't always as informed as they'd like to be. In fact, the store in my hometown told me that they don't even do their own ordering any longer, and just get whatever "corporate" decides to send them.

But, yeah, each of the stores in my vicinity have stacks of these.
  7. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

I can't find them either. Walmart has the $15 online delivered via email version, but not the physical 1500 + 500 for $15 on their website. At least I couldn't find it. My local Walmart hasn't had them for about 2 months now. I hope they aren't discontinued because that's my favorite way to buy SC. Maybe the deal was too good to last.
  8. Atan Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm seeing as well, and I live in one of the largest markets in the country. I was trying to buy these cards for a gift recently and ended up going with some $30 cards from CVS, but they aren't the same value as the warlmart cards.
  9. Feara Well-Known Member

Here in Kansas they had just started selling them at Wal-Mart about one year ago. I love this option. We must have a few players here because they always go like hotcakes. I sure hope it sticks around or Wal-Mart just lost the only reason I will set foot in their building.
  10. Morfydd Active Member

I bought them in Wichita two years ago...
    Feara likes this.
  11. That guy. Well-Known Member

They have been discontinued. If you go to Wal-Mart online, you can get the e-mailed 1500sc card or the standard 1500sc retail card. The bonus cards are no longer listed.

Most likely they're going to continue to stock the shelves until they run out of what's left, and then that's it.
  12. Airos Active Member

You mean this card here?

Maybe it's due to me looking at stores specific to my geographical region, or perhaps its due to it being "in stores only", but I didn't have any issues finding the bonus SC cards on their site.

I can't say that you're incorrect that they're discontinuing the bonus cards, but I also can't say that they're discontinuing the cards in every geographical market across the USA. Should either a red name correct me, or the cards forever vanish from shelves in my area, I will gladly admit that I am incorrect in this assumption.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  13. Sandyfoot Well-Known Member

If anyone has a recently purchased a Walmart "bonus" card, they may find, upon reading the "fine print" at the bottom, the following:

"Redeem for Station Cash in anyone of these games:

DC Universe Online, Everquest II Extnded, Star Wars (Clone Wars Adventures), Free Realms, Everquest II, Everquest, Magic: The Gathering - Tactics; Pirates of the Burning Sea or Poxnora"

And -

"Redeem for 30 days of game time for any of these games:

"DC Universe Online, Everquest II, Everquest II Extended, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, PlanetSide, Everquest Online Adventures or Pirates of the Burning Sea."

The current cards are dated and do not reflect the current lineup of games. The question I would ask, is:

"Will a new physical game card be issued that reflects the current lineup?"

We will probably just have to wait and see.
  14. Sandyfoot Well-Known Member

It is very reasonable to assume the current cards may be in the process of being discontinued because the current line up of games are not reflected on the physical card nor the digital card. If one would take the time enlarge the product's picture, they will see that the listed games the card can be used for are dated and do not reflect the current lineup.
  15. Airos Active Member

That, too, is a possibility. Have any of those games been shut down? It's probably a little too early for them to be printing up new cards representing EQNext.
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

EverQuest II Extended no longer exists, because the entire game went free to play. EverQuest Online Adventures shut down on March 29th of 2012.

Also, there are several games either developed or published by SOE that aren't listed (not including EQN:LM and EQN). That might be due to those being old cards (most likely), or it might be due to the non-listed games not having a marketplace and accounting not wanting to pay to get the design changed just to remove the defunct games. I don't know.
    Airos likes this.
  17. Sandyfoot Well-Known Member

In December, 2011, there were a lot of changes and the cards reflect a marketing that predates that time.

Anyways, we (the subscribers) are now going through some more changes. The original post is asking how we Gold subscribers feel about the recent changes to the F2P model and if a subscription still has value.

Well, for me, the annual sub will renew, and by mid next year I should have a pretty good idea as to whether or not a gold sub is viable. Right now it is too early tell.

SC Marketplace discounts, including services would be nice along with a speed on foot increase so we can traverse humongous prestige homes easier, or let us ride mounts. Flight in large homes would be best :)
    Feara likes this.
  18. That guy. Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's showing the bonus cards for me now as well. When I originally posted, it didn't have the "bonus" blurb on the front of the cards, just the standard graphic. So I figured, apparently erroneously, they'd been discontinued.
  19. Feara Well-Known Member

Update Notes: Tuesday, October 8, 2013

BunjiDeveloper
    1. [IMG]
      GENERAL
      The Gold Member buff now gives 10% to flying mounts as well as ground mounts.

Really love the 10% buff to flying mounts. Thank you!

I am feeling like Speedy Gonzales

Andale! Andale!