85 and still cant get a group

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sebastian Kenkade, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Sebastian Kenkade New Member

so, I'm 85 on the Freeport server(where all the HEROIC action is supposed to be) and there are no groups. the LFD is utterly useless. 3 times now its put me into a dungeon by myself where Ive waited up to 30mins for more to show up and they dont. I turn the /lfg flag on, I advertise in /general and /lfg and the only grouping talk I see is for max lvl fracking SLR groups.
    why will they not merge severs or at least make LFD pull from all servers.
    This is so frustrating and disheartening.
  2. Morfydd Active Member

Join a guild?
    Whitetide likes this.
  3. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, being level 85 doesn't guarantee groups.
    Heck, being 95 doesn't guarantee groups.

I tend to make my own, and make good friend with people who run a lot of groups, and joined an active guild for raiding fun. There are ways to get groups at just about any level, but it depends on the effort you are willing to put in. Simply sit in LFG channel, especially as a common class and new to 85? Yeah, expect to sit there a lot.
    Hopefully, they fix dungeon finder, which will help people new and returning to the game, but until then... well, see above.
    Tariya likes this.
  4. Thalador Active Member

Without a guild your chance of finding groups in this game is almost zero. Take Morfydd's advice
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Yesterday afternoon on Freeport there were 4 instances of Great Divide. I don't think a server merge would help solve your problem.
    Rijacki and Finora like this.
  6. Sebastian Kenkade New Member

Ive never understood how a PUG with people who share a guild tag is any better than a regular PUG.. , but over the years Ive tried several guilds. In my experience Ive ran in to 3 types of guilds..
    1. the Raid/SLR/PLing guild( not my thing )
    2. the "family guild" where everything is setup to cater to and advance the real life family members that run it.
    3. and the Big guild with 500+ members on the roles but only has maybe 5 or 6 people log in everyday and they stay in the guild hall crafting and never speak
    Ive just had NO luck finding this magical guild from which all grouping seems to flow.
    I have character of just about ever level bracket, I play on the Freeport server. Anyone have guild suggestions? or advice on weeding through the above type of guild to find a good one?
    ConcealFate and CoLD MeTaL like this.
  7. Sebastian Kenkade New Member

oh good! another Freeport person. Can you recommend some guilds?
  8. guard Active Member

your best bet is instead of just siting there lfg is to start the group yourself. there are lot of players that tend to be lfg but there is a real shortage of people that will actually start a group
    Reds, Plinc, Finora and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sebastian Kenkade New Member

are you talking about just throwing out dozens of blind invites until someone joins? I could do that but it seems from the convos Ive seen over the years a quick way to get on /ignore lists.
    Also, and this is probably my biggest concern with "starting" the group. Most people i would think want the group starter to know where they are going, know all the ins and outs and strategies of dungeons, to be the leader. I literally have so little experience being able to group in the game that I dont feel confident attempting to lead.
  10. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

I'm on Freeport. If I'm not raiding, I'm usually happy to hop into groups, even if they're low level ones. I tried to go to an 85 Shard of Love earlier tonight, but was in the dual dragon raid and it didn't die fast enough :(
    Anyway, it's not a perfect solution, but I guess it helps? Maybe?
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

No, rather then say 'such and such character, looking for group', Say looking for tank, heals and dps (or whatever you need) for <zone> run.
    Finora likes this.
  12. guard Active Member

no I mean instead of sitting there lfg put in chat lfm for gd instance runs or whatever zones you want to run. tbh most zones are fairly strait forward and once you have formed the group there is a good chance someone in that group will know the strat's
    Finora likes this.
  13. Coggage New Member

What you have to consider is that, yes, there are indeed lots of lvl 85 characters out there now... but very, very few of those players have the remotest idea how to play a character of that level solo, let alone know how to play their class in a group. I would think the majority players with a shiny, new lvl 85 are soloing at the moment, simply to learn the ropes and (as I am) getting their Gathering/Crafting skills up to speed.
  14. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Watched a guy in High-Level chat on AB for like 3 hours yesterday, 85 and offering to start a group.

No takers.
  15. guard Active Member

I agree it wont be easy most will only group for the parts needed on epic repercussions. as most will just do that then solo to 90 in seb etc then group @ 90 in ss to grind out the levels
  16. Estal Well-Known Member

In the past there used to be massive problems in random pick up groups with people stealing loot followed by the drama associated with it, so grouping with players of the guild you where in yourself (or grouping with players that sported a tag of a respectable guild) was a sort of insurance against drama.
    Also if you know what content your guild usually clears you have a pretty good idea of what zones guildmates know the scripts for, which over the years has become extremely important as soe made the actual combat less relevant and instead focused on do or die scripts for encounter design, long gone are the days where it was enough to just throw an overgeared tank at mobs and the rest of the group could do whatever they want.
  17. Kalika Well-Known Member

I do think that most 85 simply get PL or rush to 95. And i have quite a reason for that : the crazy amount of disco
    we did visiting kael 1 and ascent. I did those solo or with 1-2 friends who have level 85 alts and our guild event is filled with discos.

Level 85 are not even running the quest lines, i got disco on the leg and chest quested pieces.

Kind of silly the current 85 gear is designed to make instances like ascent / pf doable by a 6 man level 85-89 group.
    And we the gear there you can probably start of in Kael 1 and then move to kael 2 and then 3.

I agree that raiding guild are not good to get a group going, 90% of the people in such guild log at raid time, loot and vanish till next raid. Familly, friend guild are better.

Last, best way to find a group is too start one. And don't be too picky, most content can be done with a tank a healer
    and 4 others. Most of the time, bard and enchaters are really welcome but optionnal ... they are needed if you break into content and quite miss the gear.
  18. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

From what I've seen Metalocaplypse usually has a number of players on at any time during the the day or night, so must be pretty populated and active. Fidei Defensor also has a quantity of players on at most hours. Whether that translates to guild groups or not, I have no idea.
  19. Mohee Active Member

Releasing Dungeon Finder 2.0 at the same time as Heroic Characters would have been a good idea.

Now we have a bunch of new players entering the game unable to find groups easily with the dungeon finder, and most likely end up leaving to play something else. Because just about every other MMORPG out there has a perfectly working dungeon finder to allow people to quickly find successful random groups.

But now you'll have a quick influx of players, see how broken the Dungeon Finder is, and leave. Most likely telling everyone else they know to NOT play/try this game.

Seriously... /facepalm SOE.
    Malleria, Mermut and Wirewhisker like this.
  20. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

PuG is dead because of over scripted heroic encounters and the holy trinity and the obscene gear requirements other people have. DF 2.0 will fail miserably as well due to players own contrived restrictions.

The only people running the zones are people who have better gear than the zone drops and they don't need you to do it.

My advice is to invest in a newer game or try and box.