Gold Membership

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feara, Sep 28, 2013.

1. R.J. MacReady Active Member

But after all this time ...why now? If your looking to calm rumors that SOE might fleece the player base before killing EQ2 to coincide with the release of EQnext .......these moves would be counter productive. (unless the rumors were correct)
  2. Boldac Active Member

At this point, there is not much reason to have a gold sub. Sure, the current bonuses are nice. The SC, tickets, gold rush 2.0, etc. are good. But you need to have something more than the bare hook you have now. Add bait.

What about a Choose-a-loot LoN card every month (not useable on the newest LoN set)?
    The ability to swap rewards from the goblin games (i.e. I have 3 sets of erudite heritage armor, let me swap for another set of armor)
    A gold sub specific merc choice or a quest that allows you to obtain one of the elite mercs, or purchasable with loyalty tokens (one per account)

Something to actually make it worth paying the $15 each month.
    Ruckus likes this.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

I would be happy with gold if I got 3 or so unattuners a month or an extra 500sc. I was going to say a server transfer reduction or free token every 3-6 months but to some this is useless, so getting the extra sc would allow people to buy what they like.
  4. Qixil Active Member

Really like this idea :)
    Alenna, Wirewhisker and Ruckus like this.
  5. Rotherian Well-Known Member

They wanted money before. They still want money. (Just from different people.)

How is that contradictory?

Regardless, if you think that it is worth $15 dollars, pay it. If you don't, then don't pay it.

Insulting a company isn't exactly a good way to get them to listen to you. But do whatever you think is best. :rolleyes:
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I have my doubts that they would do this, but I like the idea instead of the free packs.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  7. Boox Member

What I was referring to is the fact that they are charging a relatively large amount of money for basically the same thing as they are giving away for free. It's not really an insult, more a criticism.

Also, like I said, I do have one Gold membership. I don't think it's worth $15, but I am all for supporting the game, so I will continue to subscribe.
  8. Rotherian Well-Known Member

With the number of alts I have on each account, I would be paying way more for broker tokens, so to me, it is worth the money that I pay.

Your mileage may vary.
    Alenna likes this.
  9. That guy. Well-Known Member

And what does that have to do with what I posted? Outside of agreeing with me that F2Players support the game, not subscribers. It matters not that that the cost is more, what matters is people are willing to pay more to play what they want when they want than those who are willing to pay one fee and either use it or lose it.

And again, if the subs were the moneybags, SOE ( and 99% of the mmo genre ) wouldn't have made every game F2P including their new upcoming "blockbuster" ( which will have NO subs, imagine that ). The sooner people stop trying to fight what is right in front of their face simply because they don't want to relinquish their imaginary specialness that being a subscriber somehow mythically grants them, the sooner everyone can move on and get along. All the proof is in front of you. Every game that goes F2P, every new F2P that comes out one after another, is more proof of where the money is. YOU refuse to see it. That's YOUR problem.
  10. JonnyJJJ New Member

Personally i will keep my sub because i don't like to be restricted in any way (except for time i.e. work, family time etc).
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

uhm... Most subscribers don't think that they're 'special' or that subbing makes them better. For myself, I prefer to pay a single fee to get the services I want then to be nickle and dimed every time I turn around in a game. That is why I prefer a sub. Also, free to play games tend to 'sell power' for real money, putting those who don't spend money behind the curve.
    Example: I tried out SWOTR when it went ftp.. I even unlocked a few things. But if I didn't buy xp potions, I literally, could not go along the quest line and progress.. because there wasn't enough xp w/o the potions to level you fast enough to keep up with the quests. I would much rather pay a sub then have a game tuned to 'forcing' people to pay all the time in the marketplace. Having the RL cost shoved in my face all the time inhibits my enjoyment of games by constantly pulling me out of them. Paying a sub, fo me, isn't about 'being special', it's about convenience and enjoyment.
    Alenna likes this.
  12. Kraeref Well-Known Member

It's not my problem not to see it's yours.
    F2P with no restrictions introduced when? And the age of this game is how long?
    Soe didn't introduced first f2p with no restrictions. It was restricted to eyeballs and it stayed like this for awhile. Then freeloaders start screaming on forums.
    They got what they wanted and it's great.

What subscribers want is not the restrictions back. No. We want something additional something unique and standing out that would justify paying $15 monthly. Not only the fluff 15% coin increase and 10% ground mount (not even flying) speed increase. Or as some here already said decrease a subscription to$5 a month. That would be worth of what we get right now.

If subs are not accounted for a larger portion of eq2 revenue anymore then I don't see any issues for soe to decrease a monthly charge for a gold sub.
    Alenna, Ladymist and Kalderon like this.
  13. Shazbot Active Member

The fact that SoE is asking players to make a significant investment in EQ2 right now means that EQ Next is well out on the horizon. It would be a monumentally stupid marketing move to fleece the customers in EQ2 and then release EQ Next in the near term after that.

My guess is that EQ Next is 3 years out and that monies invested in EQ2 are still very much worth the investment.
  14. Tabri Well-Known Member

For now I will keep my gold sub I would rather spend plat than real money for anything in the game. I easily make 2000 plat a month and thats just doing the daily loyalty quests and apprentices and selling drops that I get while doing the daily, total of like 30 minutes a day maybe of game play, I also already have 20k plat on me. Now if the price of kronos go to far up then I will sadly give up my gold sub but right now I also get the 5.00 free SC along with everything else for some reason. The gold, mount speed buff is useless I dont use a ground mount and the increase in gold isnt anything to me, really whats the point of this it at all?
  15. Avianna Well-Known Member

I am staying gold sub just cause my accounts are prepaid for a LONG time in advance
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Same here besides if I cancel the subscription I won't get the special deal back if I re-subscribe
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

From what I've seen so far, I thinks its unlikely that EQN is even targeted at this market segment. I'm not seeing anything that would make me play it instead of EQ2.....at least not yet, anyway.
  18. Ladymist Well-Known Member

all the mmo's that added free to play aren't purely free to play, they also kept their subscription models. You can only argue free to play is the best if a game launches as free to play and years later is still going strong without all these vets that been playing that are still subbed, heck even new players that are still subbed And the only blockbuster i see coming is elder scrolls online and they announced they will be sub based

and its odd you would state just because people are saying on these forums they cant afford 15 a month doesnt mean they are still spending that and more on a game. IF that was the case they wouldnt have claimed they really couldnt, they would have stated they just didnt think it was a deal enough to pay it
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

There is also the unlikely possibility that the people claiming that they can't are, figuratively speaking, lying sacks of monkey dung*. :eek: :p
    _______________________________________________________________________________

@Everybody: Regardless, it all boils down to one simple judgement call for each player. If the subscription is still worth it (in your opinion), then pay the subscription fee. If the subscription is no longer worth the fee (again, in your opinion), then don't pay the fee, and then deal with the few remaining restrictions.

* Note: I'm not claiming that they are, per se. I'm just stating that there is a non-zero probability that at least one of them is not being entirely truthful**.
    ** I know what you might be thinking***: ;)

*** However, there are people that lie on the Internet.
  20. Ahupu Well-Known Member

If you were a recurring subscriber when you used your first krono and have maintained the gold status with those krono since you maintain all the benefits of that recurring sub including the 500SC.