Producer Letter: About Heroic Characters...

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Shazbot Active Member

I could be wrong but I think the Heroic Characters is the beginning of an attempt by SoE to corral most of their customers and put them in the same basket for revenue related decision-making.

Level increases are fine in a market in which the revenue is fairly strong and predictable, however they cause tremendous fracturing of the customer base in a mature game when most of the original customers have left the game. This fracturing causes real problems in terms of figuring out where to spend resources to both maintain the remaining customers and get new ones.

The Heroic Characters, if they actually penetrate the player base, will help SoE make decisions on how to spend to continue to support the game. People who are F2P and Silver and not playing Heroic Characters will probably wind up as the customers least prioritized instead of having the endgame base de-prioritized as would likely occur if most customers were not at least potential endgame players.
    Bayonet likes this.
  2. Patchkit Member

Thank you for the break down it does help me understand it all better :D im very greatful !
    Finora likes this.
  3. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Who would say no to free Pl? I say no to all PL. None of my toons are pl'd and none of them will be pl'd. Guess that is old school thinking but I prefer to learn all I can about my class. As for soloing, I also prefer to solo. I am not fond of getting in a group and standing around waiting on someone to return from afk or move to a new location then wait for the afk person (unannounced btw) to return and get to us. Thus, I solo. I know many players that prefer to solo and for various reasons. Not everyone has the time to sink into LFG and/or get an instance zone completed. There are many types of players and I imagine it is difficult to please all of them.
    Halasson likes this.
  4. Awkk Well-Known Member

How about a discussion website with history stories, maybe arranged per tier, and the opportunity for old school players to add their comments and "uphill both ways" stories?

Maybe this could even be created and run by game fans?
  5. Adauchi New Member

Here's a warning for players interested in creating heroic characters. I went to make my character but when I finished making him and went to finalize the character creation it gave me a error saying no server is available please try again later. I tabbed out for 10mins planning to try again later and when I tabbed back in I had been disconnected. When I went to remake my character (the original one was never created) it appears to have taken up my free character slot and now wants me to buy a heroic character.
  6. Halasson New Member

FPH&S: First Person Hack and Slash...

I like to level my toons and each one gets it's own personality developed. Because SOE is doing what every other game is doing and has done, which is pander to the 'gimme' crowd they are making a business move. Nothing more and nothing less. Bottom line comes down to them making sure they can unlock the doors and turn the lights on every day.

What I would call the real hard core RPGer are becoming as rare as hens teeth. (btw: Hens teeth will now probably become a 'common' grey vendor trash item that fills your bags before you can say don't do it!) SOE did it with EQ. I miss the day when a simple snake outside the entry of Kaladim would have you for lunch and you had to make a corpse run with that same snake, an aviak chick and a couple goblin whelps were now sitting there camping your corps because they could smell the fresh blood and new you now had tremendous pucker factor going on! I moved to WOW after they started their nerfing. Bliz did it with WOW. Playing a Hunter was a challenge. I loved it. They homogenized them and every other class as well as allow you to create top tier characters. I left all these games behind for a few years when that nerf happened. Only recently came back due to a good friend wanting me to do so. Makes me wish I could roll the clock back to the time before PC games and break out the books, paper, pencils and dice with my old buddies and start rolling up some real Role Playing Game characters where when the deaths were really heroic, memorable and you didn't mind rolling up a new hero to go save the world.

Halasson
    Fifth Element (<-- rocks big time!)
    BB
    Kalika likes this.
  7. Darkfoz Active Member

Similar problem just occurred for me, just disconnected during creation and the free heroic character choice has gone. Hoping they fix it soon.
  8. Halasson New Member

maybe one in a thousand even read the quest chat bubbles... it's click, click, click, click, collect as fast as you can.

Halasson
    Fifth Element (<-- rocks big time!)
    BB
  9. Voidrider New Member

Yep, same here...
  10. Bashem Well-Known Member

The story may be fine for some people personally I wish we had a choice to bypass it and just get to the quest part directly.
  11. Sandyfoot Well-Known Member

12. oldskool Active Member

I upgraded an exisiting character to a Heroic character. i did not get a Pegasus mount. Is this working as intended? I also didn't get the upgraded items like armor and weapons. I also don't see any /claim item that would give me those items.
  13. Bashem Well-Known Member

I just did my weaponsmith and got Pegasus mount box of gear and renaming pot. not sure what the requirements are for mount.
  14. Alenna Well-Known Member

No you will not have to pay to continue using it if you took the free 85/280 heroic character. how ever if you want 2nd or third one you will have to pay for them.
  15. That guy. Well-Known Member

There is no /claim for it. The mount is automatically added to your mounts tab and a box containing everything lse is put in your inventory.
  16. BlessyourHeart Member

---Submitting in bug tracker recent comment---
  17. Artemiz Active Member

I am sorry you didn't understand the reason I made that comment. Perhaps the next time you buy something leave half of it on the counter at the store and ponder why you did that.
  18. Halasson New Member

mount should be L85
  19. Bashem Well-Known Member

Just looked its a Coldain Pegasus level 85
  20. Taysa Well-Known Member

Soooo how does one upgrade an already existing character? Not seeing that option on my character selection screen.