Just discovered SOEmote

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Chilton0585, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellinaire Well-Known Member

Ehhh....a question. Have you seen any game(mmo or non-mmo..or maybe even from indie devs) which does exactly that?
  2. Lempo Well-Known Member

Well before it was added here you couldn't give an example of a game that did it.
    You give me 1 single example of what it does to enhance actual play.
    You can't, because it doesn't. It is just another feature that not even 1% of the population uses.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  3. Vordreth Member

The way I see it, features like this evolve, rather than being perfect from the get-go. If SOE sticks with it and continues to add to it in EQN, maybe it will get expanded upon and the additional features like NPC interaction will come into play. Maybe it won't even be SOE that will do it, but some other company copying the feature and taking it to a new level. Either way, it's something entirely new for MMOs, so one can't realistically expect it to have everything, do everything, and be perfect from day one.
    Finora likes this.
  4. Taysa Well-Known Member

No, they can't. But that's the risk you take for using it. If I choose not to use it, I shouldn't have to be stuck having an odd shaped jaw or weird jutting around the neck because I turned it off for a reason.
  5. Vordreth Member

The risk that it won't be perfect? That would apply to any feature, and the entire game, not just SOEmote. Yeah, I agree that any odd side effects should be worked out asap, but you can't add genuinely new features like this without a little experimentation sometimes.

I remember a time when my iksar lost his teeth for months, and another time when he had an eye rolled back in his head because of updates. It sucks, but thankfully it usually gets worked out.
  6. Revekk Member

It's a fun feature. The devs, I'm sure, worked their ***** off to make it work and got decent results. I think in the future it'll definitely be better because the models and graphics engine can be built from scratch with that in it.
    I really never use it much though currently. However I also never saw any lag issues for the game itself when it's running. Perhaps when the computer is taxxed the head animations can lag but I never saw a total framerate loss for the game.( It's always terrible anyhow LOL)
    Alenna likes this.
  7. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Honestly, I won't buy a webcam to use it. I shut it off within a minute of logging in after it went live.

Also, don't see how you could promote it any better Zoltaroth. Anyone who wants to set up their voicechat has to go through the SOEmote button to do so. As I recall it is also ON by default.
  8. Mozil Active Member

That hilarious video convinced me to finally give this feature a try, so I played around with it on several of my characters. Until I got to my Iksar and...this happened. o_O

[IMG]

Is...is the Iksar jaw supposed to look like that? lol
  9. Lempo Well-Known Member

wonderful.
    It looks absolutely amazing.
    This is the kind of stuff that put the RP back into MMORPG,
  10. seneth Active Member

To the OP: I have to say , you had me laffing, great video. I do not have a cam but it looks like fun. Oh, Lempo, you could really RP with Mozil's face, LOL. Its all in fun and unfortunately some people get so caught up in, this doesn't work right,, that is bugged, they lose sight of the game itself. I have played a few other games and have always come back to EQ2. Why? Just like you, I like it, graphics are awesome, content is hugeeee, no lack of things to do ingame. Relax and enjoy the game just like Lady Dianthis, I hope I spelled that right. LOL When something is bugged, I leave it and go find something to do or even better I take a mini break and wander outside and enjoy my break. EQ2 is by far the best out there and so many are missing out on it.
    I hope EQNext is as much fun.
  11. Wutt Ever New Member

That feature made me put black tape over my laptop camera.

But I'm really glad you enjoy it. I think the only reason to be here is to enjoy ourselves, and I'm glad when people do enjoy themselves.
  12. Mozil Active Member

You can just disable the camera, too. If yours is built in and can't be unplugged, just go Start -> search "device manager" -> right click on your webcam and disable. (It's a good idea to do this anyway when you're not using it.)
  13. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the group window ui to be fixed since this went in and broke it. Over a year and the default ui is still wonky from this.
  14. The Passive Lion New Member

Listen, I found out about SOEmote by mere chance (someone posted something about it on another unrelated forum from back when it released). I never gave EQ2 the time of day until I saw that launch trailer for SOEmote. And yes, I too purchased a web cam just to try this out. (might not have if it wasn't $17 from Amazon and one of their recommended HD ones).

I think tech like this is fantastic for video games and should honestly be looked at to further implement the player into the digital environment. Start with places that make sense where players are "already" communicating to their battle buddies. (i.e. next gen titles like The Division and Battlefield 4 anyone?) Okay, you're MMORPG gamers, I get it. But I'd sure enjoy TOR a lot more if I had the ability to act out my own character (even if I had to read off the text to "make my dialogue selection")

EverQuest 2 isn't a particularly fantastic looking game, but by allowing players to fill the void of blank non-animated expressions with their own (near film quality) animated mannerisms...its genius! It ups the quality and the experience. And by "near film quality" I mean that this tech adds that Pixar/Dreamworks quality of life that sparks each character onto the big screen and after watching this (a purely player made video), there can be no denying that.

By the way, this video was fantastic. It is truly in the vein of what I hope to accomplish with this tool (and maybe tell a few stories and short films along the way). Watching it, I felt very intrigued. Almost like an EverQuest 2 vlog, if you will, which has NEVER been done before in ANY game as far as I know. If possible, I'd love to play with you sometime considering you strike me as the kind of person I'd enjoy hanging out with. My current character right now is Mylas on the (as far as I know) only RP server still active. And just maybe I'll be able to find the kind of community I've been missing out on since Star Wars Galaxies died.

Sorry if I seem a little too excited but I just hope this kind of cool stuff doesn't end up dying out because of a few minor things.
  15. Ladymist Well-Known Member

funny video had me laughing
    Finora likes this.
  16. knightritalin Active Member

This is really cool, it's also an awesome feature and can save so much time if your making movies/videos in EQ2.
    - Along with combat
    - Chilling out anywhere in the world
    - Roleplayers
    - etc...

SOEMOTE Rocks!!!
  17. Cuelaen Well-Known Member

While I personally have no use for soemote, i'm glad some folks can get some enjoyment out of it, and great job on the video op, made me laugh:)
    Alenna likes this.
  18. Alenna Well-Known Member

It may not enhance for you Lempo that doesn't mean that others aren't having their play style enhanced just because you aren't into Roleplaying doesn't mean that Roleplaying isn't a valid play style.
  19. Mozil Active Member

Guys, it doesn't sound like OP made that video. They just found it on youtube.
  20. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Well, you are probably right, given that in the original post, immediately before the video are the words "pretty awesome example". Plus the video was made 18 days prior to the original post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.