Sony, I feel you lied to us

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Egregious, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Egregious New Member

First of all, I am an older player. My generation looks down heavily upon being lied to or misled. Your free to play format has several things in it that are, at the very least, misleading.

1) You claim that the auction house is "limited". In truth, it costs real life money to get the items from the marketplace that allow us to sell items there. What it should say is to sell things on auction you are limited to how much money you are willing to spend from your wallet.

2) You call it a free to play format. Yet, you cannot wear the best of gear or use the best level of spells. As you reach higher levels all of the quests award you with this type of gear, which you then cannot use! Anyone leveling a character to high levels cannot compete in either PVE or PVP with the lessor gear allowed in f2p. In truth, it is Pay to Win, not free to play (at least to the level 90 or so range as advertised).

3) You admit that you will splash upgrade ads to play. In truth, this goes beyond playing the game. I do not appreciate AT ALL that after I am done playing you FORCE my computer to go into my browser and to your site trying to get me once again, after in-game ads already popped up, to upgrade my account. That is a violation of my computer and it's software, in my mind.

I tried to play again and enjoy it, but these things ruined it for me. I brought three of my friends with me, and they agree. None of us are going to play it now.

PS one last thing, the expansion sets I would have to buy to become current are nowhere near worth the 80 bucks you expect for them, especially the Age of Discovery. It should be included with you latest expansion set, as all of them should be. I can't see anybody paying that kind of money PLUS 15 bucks a month to play this dated game. I want to love this game and become a fan boy, but your current trade practices make it impossible for me to do so.

*insert troll messages here*
  2. Foretold Well-Known Member

*sigh* Here we go again...
  3. Lygerr Active Member

farm a few plat, buy a krono, which allows you gold level and you now have total free access to the game.. which also conveniently makes it easier to get plat to continue buying kronos.
  4. Egregious New Member

I believe the song goes "Here we go again ON MY OWN".
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  5. Foretold Well-Known Member

It's actually "Here I go again on my own." Whitesnake. 1987.
  6. Egregious New Member

7. Finora Well-Known Member

Oh good grief. Every couple of weeks.

1) Limited access to the broker is exactly what you get. You can buy things, you just can't sell. Hence the limited status. There is no doublespeak at all on SOE's part on this.

2) There are HUGE amounts of content available completely free. The original game as well as 6 expansions and 3 adventure packs. You also get every race & class for free, access to up to all normal mastercrafted gear and expert spells (fantastic gear until you get 91+). You have no coin or storage restrictions at all.

If you want free access to fabled & legendary items (which prior to the highest levels of the game are of similar quality or worse than the free player useable mastercrafted items in almost every case), free full access to the broker and no prompts for upgrades, pay your fee like the subscribers. You can pay as little as $7.50 a month if you decide to go multimonth or nothing at all if you farm up some plat & buy Kronos from the broker.
  8. R.J. MacReady Active Member

Why would an issue get resurfacing? ...maybe it's really an issue.
  9. Ivory Member

Thanks... Now I'll have that song stuck in my head the rest of the day!! :rolleyes:
  10. Mimixx(2) Member

2) At lower lvl MC gear can be as good as pvp gear. PVE in this game is really easy, not very hard monsters at all if you play right and dont take on monsters to hard for you. Every 10 lvls (starts from 14) you can chose between 4 spells to become grandmasters(For me I chose heals or buffs), and Adept is that bad.

3) Yeah that I have to agree with.
  11. Foretold Well-Known Member

Nah. It's not an issue. I don't understand who in their right mind thinks FTP games are really FREE to play. Like they can log in and have 100% of the content plus expansions for free... beginning to end, all the gear, all the amenities...free. It makes me want to *headdesk*...

Mostly, I think its trolling. And yes, I just inserted the troll message there.

*sings* like a drifter I was born to walk alone...
    Filly67 likes this.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

Could also mean that there are HUGE numbers of people looking to get something for nothing or next to nothing.

The pop-up ads are annoying. They have a tendancy to pop up mid-fight. The popup after you log out can be extremely annoying. Those I agree about. Personally I'd prefer just having a permanent thing on the screen than the pop-up (but I'm sure that would cause issues with some people might play on small screens).

All the other stuff is just wanting to play without paying anything ever. Maybe I just spent far too many years paying subs to actually have access at all to games to expect to have full access to everything without paying anything.
    amputaci likes this.
  13. Loch Well-Known Member

Hey, do any of you remember a time when bigger budget MMOs were all pay to play? A time when the only FREE games out there were (mostly) junk?

If you wanted to play an MMO like this, you bought the base game for full retail price and then subscribed, hoping to god that you hadn't wasted your money. If a game had a demo, however short, that was a huge perk. You could actually try it before you bought it!

Times have changed. And as far as the nonpaying customers go, things have gotten a whole lot better. Instead of getting a little bit for free up front, you're paying for a little bit at the end.
  14. Skwor Active Member

The OP is one GIANT SOCK PUPPET.

First OP says he is new to the game then somhow manages to make the same complaint, that all the other posters who want everything for free make. We are suppose to believe someone "new" to the game already has mastered the end game concepts in both PVE and PVP to understand what is needed to compete and those issues just happen to coincide with AoD. This includes using the same style of langaue and specific costs for expansions at issue as posted by other malcontents.

This whole thread is insulting to any reasoning adult.
    Please delete this trash thread
  15. Skwor Active Member

Maybe you are the sock puppet posting this trash under the nom de plume?
  16. Skwor Active Member

17. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Yep. Or momentary anger at something they wanted to do, but couldn't. A lot of times these misunderstandings come from totally blowing past either the EULA or any other explanation of how the game operates in order to jump in and start playing.

I'm not trollin, I've *sings* made up my mind, I'm not wastin no more tiiiime...
  18. Filly67 Well-Known Member

No need to, you have already done it for us.
    amputaci likes this.
  19. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid 40's and my generation hates reading these posts every other week.
  20. Arieste Well-Known Member

Just so you avoid being "lied to" in the future OP, here is some advice from someone that has played numerous MMOs:

The term "Free to play" is a misnomer. It merely means that you can play some part of the game without paying for it.

"Free to play" does NOT mean "everything having to do with the game is free". It never is. Different games offer different things free, some offer more, some offer less. All of it is designed to make you pay for some of the other stuff in the game.
    Filly67, Zinra and Absyntheea like this.