What exactly does accuracy do for you?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by CoLD MeTaL, Mar 8, 2013.

1. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

The tool tip for 'accuracy' basically says "Makes you more accurate with a melee weapon."

How does that translate into mechanics?
  2. Glassjaw Active Member

I tested accuracy out a while back when 90 or 92 was level cap idr but I got up to 65ish solo accuracy with reforging and vs another dirge in raid who had around 10-15 accuracy had better hit rates than I did and I had better gear overall. The difference was he had much higher weaponry skills = slashing and piercing. Since then I have beefed up my weaponry skills and pretty much ignored accuracy and my hit rates are usually in the 95-98% range.

My guess is accuracy either doesn't work as intended or doesn't work at all.
  3. Draylore Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Accuracy is like one last desperate roll to turn a 'miss' into a hit. I too have experimented with it.....from ignoring it (which with my gear puts me at 8-10%) to reforging to get it to 35ish. Did not notice any difference whatsoever on any of the content I am raiding.

The Enraged Imp in AoA is a target that has some sorta 'extra' stuff that leads to some low hit rates. I have experimented and the only way I can counter that is by increasing +weapon skill.........increasing Accuracy did absolutely nothing on that target.

In the end.......I just ignore it and do not spend any extra effort getting Accuracy thru reforging or otherwise.
  4. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

What about Strikethrough, with again a tooltip that equates to "Raises your ability to strikethrough.'

If devs can't define these things in tooltips how are we supposed to make educated guesses on what they do?

When I asked these questions in public chat in game i got name called and laughed at, so thanks for the answers.
  5. Jrel Well-Known Member

Usually, you won't need any extra accuracy for easy content.

Accuracy turns your specific "misses" in your parse into hits. Check your parse for your melee weapons specifically. If you see any misses, higher melee/weaponry skills, group buffs (and a bard), better gear, and self accuracy will fix those. If you don't have all the previous, try adding 1%-2% accuracy at a time, and see if that helps. If you see only a bunch of blocks/ripostes/parries, accuracy won't fix those, so you need higher melee skills, better gear, and to stop attacking from the front. You won't be able to fix all of the B/R/Ps (although it is possible...). I personally run with above 15% accuracy solo at least for the current raid content we're doing (PoW/Challenge). I used to run with 25% solo pre-COE, but better gear (and reforging) has allowed me to drop it to 15-17 without missing. You might be able to get by with less accuracy depending on your gear, adorns, and your group buffs. You'll still miss on brawler mobs and trying to attack some mobs from the front. Otherwise, see my first sentence.
  6. Lenolian Active Member

Accuracy gives you a chance to hit when you have miss the first roll, or the mob dodge your attack. +Accuracy would only help if you get straight miss, it doesnt help against parry/risposte/block.

Strikethrough gives you a chance to hit when the mob parries, risposte or block your attack. Parry/Riopste/Block can only happen when facing the target, so its mostly benefecial to tanks, scouts that tends to stay behind the mob do not profit from it.
  7. Jrel Well-Known Member

Strikethrough (ST) will get through those blocks/riposte/parries. However, ST is misleading. 1% ST will get through 1% of all of those blocks/ripostes/parries (I forgot if it is each, or combined though). Don't go overboard or even try to get ST if you're any other class except a tank (unless you absolutely need to hit those brawler mobs in zones).
  8. Ladymist Well-Known Member

Strikethrough is more for pvp than it is pve. When your opponent has toughness it can be hard to hit them. Raise your strike through and it increases your chances greatly of hitting through that toughness and damaging them
  9. Geothe Active Member

That is far FAR from the truth.
    Strikethrough is essential for TANKS in PvE content.
    Melee DPS, not so much, but any tank without strikethrough will be shooting themselves in the foot.
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Is 100% 100% with strikethrough, or is there some wonky no-math involved?
  11. BobLoblaw New Member

IIRC, accuracy is only important for 2 of the 24 classes, but doggone if i can remember which 2...
  12. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Accuracy is for dodge/miss which is governed by defense and dodge chance.

Strikethrough is for parry/riposte/block.
  13. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

It should be 100%... there was a 50% cap on strikethrough that apparently no one knew existed (including devs) because the cap was removed without notice a couple updates/patches ago. I haven't really played since the cap was lifted so I can't say how SOE math works now.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

Accuracy is important (in raids) for every class the uses melee/bow auto-attack. For CoE EM raids, 30-40 accuracy is useful.
  15. Kwikdeath Active Member

Honestly, accuracy is worthless. I have reforged to 40 and it did nothing extra for me.

Currently I am at 9% accuracy and over 800 weapon skills self buffed and my hit % overall is between 96-99 every zone including long a** fights like HM Oligar and Sentinel (well, long for us to kill at least :) ).

I love scouts that try to max out accuracy and/or ST because they always suck on the parse and we can make fun of them. Keep your stats in MA and get over a K and you'll be doing way more with a 100% 7th auto versus possibly hitting .5% more by reforging 3 or 4 items to accuracy.
  16. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

What does it do? How does it affect melee?
  17. Kwikdeath Active Member

Nothing, see above.

Well, maybe of your weapon skills were so low you missed fairly often it could bump up your hit %, but my ZW Autoattack hit % is always 98-100%, and overall ZW hit %is 96-99%, and that's with 9% accuracy. I went up in dps when I reforged out of accuracy and into other stats, and just adorned for weapon skills. That made a difference in my hit%, but at 800 weapon skills adding accuracy nets me next to nothing.
  18. Geothe Active Member

Mechanistically, Accuracy its a chance to reroll the attack if you would have a "miss."
    And I believe 1% accuracy equates to a 1% chance of a "miss" becoming a hit.

Not Block/Parry/Riposte or any of that (thats Strikethrough), but just MISSES.

So... take a look at your zone wide parses and your autoattack damage in ACT. Sort it by the damage column, and then count up the number of "misses" you have. If there are a ton of them, you probably should add in some accuracy for the content you are doing. If you dont see any misses, you have enough or more accuracy than you need.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

It affects only your auto-attack hit rate. How much you need depends on the content you do and the buffs you get. To see what it does for you, you really do need to check a parser.
    Look under your auto-attack on the pars and sort by damage. If you have any of them that say 'miss', those can be affected by increasing your accuracy. For things you see block/parry/riposte.. those require melee skills (crushing, slashing, etc).

If none of your auto-attacks say 'miss', then accuracy won't help. Accuracy does not affect combat arts.

Note: Several classes give accuracy buffs to their group. Wardens and dirges each give a 10% accuracy boost (if they're specced for it) Rangers give a larger temporary, boost, just to name a few.
  20. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

Read the thread.