Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of pictures of 3 items I've created for EQ2 Player Studio submissions. [IMG]
    We were talking in Crafter's Channel and Antonia Bayle Homeshow Channel and someone said they'd like to have a TP dispenser, so I made this one. (Different views of same item.)

[IMG] This picture contains two items, A half width Wall Divider with door opening, and an Oriental Door. In addition to this Wall Divider, I've also made a complete set of matching items similar to the bundles already in game plus a Gabel item, square short pillar and square tall pillar with the same texture and appearance as the one pictured here.,

If you all have ideas for stuff you want for house decorating, let me know what you'd like. I'm still a newbie at this 3D artistry, but I will do what I can, and where possible give you credit for coming up with the suggestion.

See yas!
  2. Feara Well-Known Member

Excellent work Rawl! You know those TP dispensers will sell like hotcakes. Awesome job on the door, love the color & design. Keep up the great work. Kindest Regards ~Feara
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

My only complaint is you didn't smooth the polygons on the stand, it looks like its made out of faceted chrome. In fact you have no polygon smoothing at all.
  4. Rawl Well-Known Member

Correct, there is no smoothing. I wanted to keep the poly count down, so I didn't smooth it. I know it could look ALOT better if I would have increased the poly count. Even so, I hope it is better than what is currently available in game, which is nothing ;)

Thanks for your comment Estred :)
  5. Rawl Well-Known Member

have no fear, you won't seen any of these things in the game, they declined the divider with door opening, didn't state a reason. They declined the TP stand for multiple reasons including too high poly count. They also declined the door for too high poly count as well as they didn't like the texture of the door.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :p Wonder whether I should submit any of the other stuff I've created, the stuff that is part of the divider matched set stuff? Probably not.

At least they didn't keep me waiting months before declining my submission.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Rawl what program are you using? Because I recently a Katana is only 822 triangles the LoD_0 version is 211 triangles.

I removed the image because... it may be accepted and I would like to wait to hear more back before I go sharing images.
    Rawl likes this.
  7. Margaret New Member

I think Estred is referring to smooth shading, rather than subdivision smoothing. I didn't know about this until I tried submitting something, and it was rejected... Some programs call it smoothing/hardening. In Blender (which is what I use) it is smooth and flat shading and is found in the object tools. I'm not sure about other programs. :)

edit: I forgot to add that smooth shading doesn't change the geometry. :)
    Rawl likes this.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification, I call them smoothing groups because I use 3ds max. That is a much easier way to put it.
  9. Rawl Well-Known Member

I am using Blender, still a newb at it, I was messing around tonight, just for experimentation purposes, and remade the TP stand just for the fun of it, but this time I only used squares which I then smoothed. Doing that the triangle count was less than 800. The smoothing worked well for the fixture, but screwed up the paper part. I guess I'd have to add that seperately so the smoothing didn't effect it. Like I said, I am learning as I go. (BTW, I got an email notification about your post, and your picture was included in the post. Very Nice work, it looks excellent. You obviously know what you are doing :)
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

Well thank you, as I said I had to remove it since it is being considered.
  11. Eden_Evergreen New Member

Nice work - I hope your next round passes inspection. :)

That's strange. I've not been instructed to remove any pictures of what I had submitted... *scratches head* Did someone from SOE instruct you to remove the picture(s)?

I don't want to bend any rules!
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

They did not instruct me to; it is a matter of personal preference.
  13. Eden_Evergreen New Member

Understood. *nods*
    Thanks info. :)

And to Rawl - you're showing a great deal of potential. I hope you succeed in getting items into the game. :)
    Rawl likes this.
  14. Afista Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that all of you guys making items are awesome!

I took a look at Blender and other programs out there and could not make heads or tails of what I was doing, even with the tutorials lol It's really awesome to see player-made items making it into game. It was a very smart move on SoE's end and an awesome opportunity for community artists to show what they can do and earn a little revenue. Can't wait to see even more of all of these awesome things being developed!
    Rawl likes this.
  15. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I am assuming that the player studio stuff cannot be used in Paintshop. . . .what programs can you use it in?? I have yet to figure that out.
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

I am assuming you are talking about the examples SoE has provided for people who want to create stuff for the game(s). Those files need to be loaded into a 3D graphics program to work with them.

You can use a program like Blender to generate the structure of the item, (the mesh) and a program like photoshop to prepare the skin (what it looks like once it is done,) of the object. I use Blender to create the stuff and G_imp to (guess you can't use that name spelled correctly here for some reason,) to prepare the diffused color, normals map and spec. map images.

You can not open a 3D graphics file and a program which only handles 2D graphics.

I hope that answers your question.
  17. Rawl Well-Known Member

Even though these haven't been approved, I thought I show you all anyway, so you can see what I've been doing when I'm not playing EQ2 :) The images are self descriptive, kitchen cabinet set series.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    TarnaX, Charlice, Riffy and 3 others like this.
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Does this look like something you'd like to dress up your home with? I hope you will be able to soon :) It is styled after the Sumac Armoire. The wood of this set (and a matching serving cart.) isn't quite as redish as the ingame sumac.
  19. Rawl Well-Known Member

These were declines as being "too mass produced looking, and not matching the style they want to have in the game, so I've created some alternatives which I've recently posted a picture of here in this topic.
    Wispie likes this.
  20. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oh, I like!
    Rawl likes this.