The Elementile Challenge

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Decorators are at heart, a silly group of individuals. Now, don't you deny it, you all know it's true!

On July 21, 2011, the "tile elemental challenge" began. It all started when when Jaz (that would be me) sighed in the Antonia_Bayle.Homeshow channel that people should know better than to irritate a decorator who has trustee access to their house. The topic was of course, tiles (and what can be done with them when irritated at a homeowner). From there, Nyarro came up with the idea of a Tile Elemental.

[IMG]
    Jesdyr of Unrest's Elementile from 2011.

Today, February 19, 2013, the second Elementile Challenge begins!

The fearsome creatures known to the learned decorator as an elementile come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They are the bane of homes and warehouses everywhere! The only similarity between them is that they form their massive bodies out of tiles, and only tiles.

Ladies and gentlemen, please crack your knuckles, step away from the root beer keg, and begin creating your elementile!

The rules for this silly challenge are:
    • Your elementile must be built out of tiles. Only tiles.
    • "Bonus points"* awarded for Tile Elementals that look like they are crushing, eating, smushing, engulfing, or otherwise attacking someone or something!

*Disclaimer: This is a challenge, not a competition. No points are awarded at all. So you'll get a bonus 0 points added on to your 0 points if you do this. You will get bonus laughter for sure, though!

The prizes for this silly challenge are:
    • All participants will receive a player-written book by Jazabelle showcasing your insanity!
    • Elementiles will be featured on the Homes and Tomes Events forum. (There's nothing there yet, but that'll be changing shortly!)
    • A small Marketplace gift will be sent to each participant as a token of appreciation for taking the time to make others smile with your silly elementile!
    • The giggles and laughter of your fellow Homeshow participants.
    Who may participate?
    Anyone may participate, regardless of server. Because the prize is an SC item, it can be sent anywhere! Keep in mind that there is a max of 2 gifted items per day that can be sent per account, so it may be a little bit after you complete your Elementile before you receive your reward from me.
    If you would like the book on your server and you are not on Antonia Bayle, simply purchase or make a blank notebook, and I will bring an alt to paste the book into the notebook for you.

What to do to participate:
    • Pick a house. Any house. It can be one you have already decorated, or a completely empty one, or just a warehouse you happened to have stuffed to the rafters with tiles. Pick one!
    • Build your elementile. Is it a cube? A globe? A weird shape made up of floating tiles? Doesn't matter. Build it!
    • Post your screenshots of your elementile (as well as the address and server we can visit it on) in this thread!
    • Sit back, relax, and enjoy the laughter of your fellow decorators.
    Please try to have your elementile finished by Tuesday, March 5 2013. If you complete it after that point, that's fine. If you complete it before then, even better! This will give you two weekends to work on the elementile, should you choose to build one.

So what are you waiting for? Get to buildin'!
  2. Rolaryn Active Member

what about that "fire" in the middle? it looks like the tiles are glued to it
  3. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

The "fire" in Jesdyr's elementile was made with the red misty tiles! They work ; )
  4. Kisy Active Member

Ohhh the monsters that are running through my head! This MUST be done!!!

I just bought a TT isle for Kisy ( it was on sale this weekend !!!! WHEEE For SC sales! ), so sounds like a good place to play with it..... Though I have more tile selection on Guk with Shea.... hummmm..... decisions decisions. :confused:
  5. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

This seems like a lot of fun, and I'm definitely going to give it a shot! I've never attempted to make an elemental, let alone out of tiles, but let's see what happens!
    I just have a question -- do the special grassy squares (with fireflies and butterflies) count as tiles? I wasn't sure because they are raised up and not really flat.
  6. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

They're close enough to tiles (especially the wispy grass tiles) that yes, I'll say the grassy knolls count as tiles.
  7. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

8. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I had trouble getting them to people last time. This time should be easier, with the free accounts.

I'll have to hop over to the server of your choice to give you the one from 2011! Just let me know where I'm going, and have a book handy for me ;)
  9. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

tsss
    It'll be on Storms if you have the language installed or you can put it on Test if you prefer. Not that I really care. I hoped to test Brewday while hubby was on Skyrim (we only have one copy) and I'm just trying to finish a house for a friend and I'll be off this lgame. Thanks dear
  10. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

I hope everyone stocked up on some tiles during Moonlight Enchantments and Erollisi day! If you didn't, Neriak city festival is just around the corner.

I can't wait to see the elementiles people come up with!
  11. Tyrus Dracofire Well-Known Member

would be cool if they make green fog and dark purple fog tiles.
  12. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

[IMG]

My carpenter, not wanting to be outdone by Lord Colby Jack, purchased a lovely Halfling Hole out of Freeport. She moved in, tied her ship to the dock, and looked around at all that she could build. Cresting over the hill on the small island, she discovered that she wasn't alone...

Originally intended to be more evil and chompy, this green and grassy elementile ended up overly cute and grumpy. Perhaps it's the perpetual swarm of butterflies that follow him? When not surveying the land, he sinks down to become a part of the grass and greenery.

[IMG]

He is a bit of a fluffball, with two legs and a stumpy tail, but I love him.
    You can visit this cutie on the Freeport server, in the Freeport city, under the Halfling Home owned by Lyquis.
    While you're there, feel free to bump in and see the greenhouse, or the farm, or the tiniest patch of Othmir coldness ever. The house is far from finished (ignore random cake on floor) but still welcomes visitors.
  13. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

I get a very Studio Ghibli vibe from your elementile. I love him! *steals the cute elementile away!*
    Margaret and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Kytti_EggCollector New Member

I'm pretty new to the game, and decorating, so I have to ask, How do you get those tiles to go at all those different angles? Seems I can only get them to be parallel to the floor at different levels.
  15. JesDyr Well-Known Member

editting layouts ... see this thread

I also suggest this one
  16. Kytti_EggCollector New Member

Oh, that looks so cool! Thank you.
    But why did you have to be so prompt? Now I don't know if I should play with the layout editor or work on grinding guild faction while it's double guild xp weekend. Decisions, decisions. . . Aaaaaaaaah!

/em wonders if it's possible to clone herself and do both. . .
  17. Yrdach New Member

This a strictly square tile or are round tiles allowed?
  18. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

That is CUTE ! I didnt think elementiles can be cute like yours :)
  19. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Round tiles are allowed!
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Miyazaki does, indeed, rock. :)

Uwk
    Margaret likes this.