Is the new harvesting goblin a good thing?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Galldora, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Galldora Well-Known Member

I'm curious about how players view the new harvesting goblin that returns rares. I have eight of these little gobbies and this morning I signed my characters in to find that the goblins had brought back a total of 21 rares, including 4 osmium clusters and 2 black star sapphires. I sent them out and checked again two hours later and the results were similar. Now of course I will not be checking the goblins every two hours all day and night, but even so at this rate I'm thinking that soon I may have more rares than I need. Already, in just a matter of days, I have quite a large stash of "rares."

What do you think? Is the goblin a good change? Has the goblin trivialized harvesting? Will you still be harvesting?
    I'm surprised I don't see a discussion about this already...so maybe it's here and I'm just not looking in the right spot. If that is the case, let me apologize in advance to that person who is going to ask "did you even look?" and say, yes, I did.
  2. Sucha Active Member

With Osmium costing 60p each on broker I think that yes it is a good thing (personal opinion of course). I do still harvest at times as I am part of a 3 person guild on one toon and filling a harvest box takes time. Other than that I prefer to make my own items, spells, arrows, food, etc so not having to pay high prices for harvested rares is always a good thing (especially with 13 toons to make stuff for).
  3. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I have the pony and the guildharvesters for the normal material and now the goblin for the rares... why i should go out and harvest anymore? o_O
    Suerly you cant earn a living from harvesting anymore :eek:
    Rares are more like comons these days, sure the next days.
    btw. there´s another skill (duno the english word for it) you can disamble gear, i normaly get 2-3 rares out of those ^^
  4. doughknee New Member

Sounds lazy and stupid.
  5. Pariel Active Member

What goblin?
  6. Cyliena Well-Known Member

The chance of 0-4 rares every two hours is definitely not a fast means in which to stock up on rares. I'm using my one goblin a few times a day and the rares I'm getting are for me and the guild to use, not for broker. I'll need to go harvest soon again, goblin or no, because we'll need more spell upgrade components and harvesting with a Potion of Bountiful Harvest is MUCH better than the goblin.

I honestly don't think it's injecting enough "extra" rares into the game for it to be an issue at all, especially when harvesting yourself is more lucrative.

To answer the previous poster: It's one of the new Tradeskill Prestige AAs. Summons a goblin to harvest, but the goblin has a chance of finding rares.
    Vandrago, Cloudrat and Pariel like this.
  7. Pariel Active Member

Thanks Cyliena :) Appreciated.. Guess I skipped over the TS prestige page.. didnt think it would be useful to me:)
    Cyliena likes this.
  8. Snowhaze Active Member

See this page for the new Goblin and Salvaging tradeskill prestige abilities

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Tradeskill_Prestige_Abilities_(EQ2)

I was glad to get the Goblin originally, but it does appear its going to drop all the prices to nothing very soon as there will be an overabundance of rares, I've already seen many of them drop to half and all of the commons are falling to nothing.

I haven't really harvested in a long time since I already had the pack mule and guild supplies and it looks like it will be pointless to harvest going forward. When I first read about the Goblin, I thought a 'chance' meant I would uncommonly see rares, but its every time right now and it should be adjusted down for sure.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

Maybe I've just been unlucky with my goblin but I've only gotten rares 2 times I've sent the 2 I have out (2 times per goblin). So far I've gotten FAR more rares just harvesting the normal way in the new zones.

If people are getting pretty much guarenteed multiple rares, then I'd say it probably needs to be tuned back a bit.
    Cyliena likes this.
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

They should change the pack pony to return rares as well since it is harder to get than just leveling.
  11. Onorem Active Member

It might be harder to get, but you don't need to buy the new expansion for it. I doubt they'll be changing that anytime soon.
  12. Faelynn Active Member

I think I'd like more rares this way too - with so much legendary/fabled equipment in the game, mastercrafted stuffs don't need to be so rare either.

However, if your main excitement is the high broker price, you'll be in for a disappointment: with higher supply comes lowered prices. That broker price will get driven down as folks get more and more rares faster this way. As it is it's only artificially inflated atm due to the new expac just having come out and folks in a rush to get those 3 levels of spells upgraded. That too will calm down before long.
  13. mouser Well-Known Member

Maybe that means crafters will finally have a chance to start making some money.
    Paying 5 plat for a rare to make an item that sells for 2-3 plat isn't exactly helping them out..

Also remember the Law of Supply - the supply of a good is inversely proportional to it's price

In a free market (which MMO's are about the closest you can get to one) price determines both supply and demand. So if the price drops too far, the supply of rares will drop as well, while demand for them will increase. The market will find a new point of equilibrium, but it will take a little while to get sorted out.
    Cyliena likes this.
  14. Faelynn Active Member

True enough. And btw, for the record, I'm not at all saying it's a bad thing. I do think it's a good thing, just felt the need to point out that 60p a pop prolly can't be expected to keep up for long :)
    Cyliena likes this.
  15. GrouchyMouse Active Member

I sent my goblin out, but I don't know how long it takes him to "return" with goods. I have instant recast on him, but when I did he gave me the "I'm working on it, woman!" type reply. Oh, I also bugged his dialog...it's You say, not Goblin says...found that funny.

I do love the new adding of rare harvesting chance, tho! I've never have any good luck getting rares. I could load up my toons to make them well over 500+ in harvesting (they're also crafters) and no rares. Now I'm able to get some. And considering I have too many alts to outfit, this is a gods send.
  16. Wurm Well-Known Member

Those of you saying you are getting tons of rares from your Goblin are just having a nice streak of RNG. I've sent mine out a lot since I got him and haven't gotten a rare yet.

So no he doesn't need a nerf.
  17. GrouchyMouse Active Member

First time receiving goods, no rares. Second time with the same toon, five. So yah, I don't think he needs nerfing.
  18. mouser Well-Known Member

I must have been really tired when I posted:

The supply of a good is DIRECTLY proportional to its price. The price goes up, more people find it worth their time to harvest, etc...

The demand is Inversely proportional to its price. Price goes up, more people decide they can live without it.

When supply>demand, you get a bunch of stuff sitting on brokers unsold and the undercutting begins...
  19. Lucus Well-Known Member

I've been running my goblin all day almost only got a handful of rares, only one harvest cycle yielded 2 so i dotn see a problem with the chance anyway the rare you get is random i've found harvesting specific nodes is more rewarding then jsut relying on the goblin.

I'm suprised more people didnt think to stock up on osmium when CoE was annouced.

I guess it's a matter of how many toons you spec into it. i dont see the point in speccing more then one toon at this time sicne the oens that dont have it i find useful for the mass production line.
  20. Filly67 Well-Known Member

I have 11 of my crafters sending the goblin out. Some of them, on multiple cycles, have gotten no rares. I have only seen one high end rare (osmium). I think it's working fine. The goblin isn't going to bring so many that I won't need to harvest but it's a nice addition.

My real problem is that I need to add a harvest depot to my lower level guild. Between all of my ponies, goblins, our guild harvesters, etc.... lots of items have hit the 20k max. Not such a bad problem to have.