Unmentored and exp bonus

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Pulsabo, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pulsabo New Member

I've just found out that, when soloing the "regular" way, ie without being chronomanced, green mobs have stopped giving an encounter bonus.

I thought it would only be the case if mentored, or mentoring. Did I understand the changes the wrong way, or is it a bug ?
  2. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

I have been noticing when mentored, and fighting above green mobs I am not getting any encounter bonus on obvious encounters too. I think this was not implemented very well.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

You understood the changes wrong.

You loose encounter bonus for any of the following:

Green mobs
    You're mentored
    You don't get on the hate list
  4. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Or you are using a Merc, yes?
  5. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

I was not fighting green mobs, was mentored, and did get on the hate list.
  6. Regolas Well-Known Member

My understanding for mercs is they take a cut of your xp like the old group cut.

So you plus merc gets half the xp of you solo.

Whereas if its you plus another player, and you're both on the hate list, you both get solo xp.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

So you didn't get the encounter bonus because you were mentored down. Simples.

PS I don't like these particular changes by the way.
  8. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I was pretty sure that using a merc denied you the 'encounter bonus' as well.
  9. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

I guess using a merc caused the other encounters to not give encounter bonus when I was not mentored down, fighting on levels and got on hate list. Nasty change that, as I am a healer class who needs the merc in many areas. But I don't remember reading that having a merc removed all encounter bonuses.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

I have not used a merc while leveling post change for the reason that they take a cut of your xp (and a large cut at that). So I cannot confirm what you're saying.

However, encounter xp was never cut in the old form between group members like the "normal xp", so I would expect that to still be the case and therefore mercs don't take any of it.

Plus I never saw Terraguant say mercs took away encounter xp, just the 3 conditions I listed.
  11. Regolas Well-Known Member

So you WEREN'T mentored, mobs were blue or more and you were on the hate list and you still didn't get encounter bonus?
  12. Atan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine how anyone could be confused by the new xp rules...
    Lempo and Mae- like this.
  13. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

There is another nasty side to all this. My son one-shotted a name in the new area. He told me he had his merc at the time. He did not get encounter XP for defeating the name. So it sounds like if you take out an encounter mob before it has a chance to hate you, you get no encounter XP.

He just told me that he was getting encounter XP from other mobs there while using his merc. It is sounding like there is some bug with all this. As I was not getting encounter XP when with my merc fighting mobs that I am sure were encounters before, was on-level with them, and I definitely blasted them with enough damage to get on the hate list. Is it possible that if the merc takes one of a encounter group's mobs before I get on the encounter group's hate list that I get no encounter XP?
  14. Regolas Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on your comments. Tbh I never really paid attention to encounter xp until this change was announced. I'm not even sure what classifies as giving encounter xp and what doesn't. I think any group of mobs that can't be pulled individually give encounter xp, but I could be wrong. That would explain why your son got no encounter xp on a named, because it was solo. But names might be different and give encounter xp.

As for not getting on the hate list of a mob during an encounter. I would assume if you get on one, you're on them all. But it's an assumption. I know I have had to work to get on the hate list as my warden, by purposefully healing even though it wasn't needed. I assumed my thorncoat damage shield and regeneration buffs would put me on the list automatically but reading their description again they proc, so when they don't proc I miss out without doing something else.
  15. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Hum.... i´ve done 3 toons so far, with similar setup 1 steamroller and 1 box that, almost does nothing, and a heal merc.
    Needing around 50-60 mins for a level.... if i cancel the merc (i´m sure to lazy for this), the xp would grow? oO
  16. Grumble69 Member

Yeah, I had the same set-up. The merc wasn't taking half my xp, but it was close. I'd say about 40% or so. I only had the merc out as a fail safe. Half the fights he doesn't even cast a spell, but he will always take a cut of the xp. So if the dying doesn't happen a lot, you're definitely better off taking a risk without using the merc.
  17. Tika New Member

A few things I've noticed while playing my beastlord:

If I one shot kill ranged, no encounter bonus. (Blue mobs and above, warder not attacking)
    If multiple mobs, encounter bonus only for mobs I attack/gain hate first. Warder fighting other mobs in group, no encounter bonus even though I am damaging the mobs.

Are these examples working as intended?
  18. Peachie New Member

Last night my friend and I chronoed down to 80 and went into Chelsith. I am working on getting to 92. Am at 90. While running around chelsith I noticed, full vitality using a 55% bonus pot, i got base xp of like 140 plus 1300 bonus IF I helped on the kill. If I let my friend do it alone and I just watched, the bonus xp was only 700-800.
  19. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

All I know is a full group in SS chain pulling will get you to 95 in less than 2 hours. Anything in the new expansion is just about worthless.
  20. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Sounds like our pets are counting as group members rather than an extension of our characters. Sigh...