The "Obol" Problem......

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Lament, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Kalderon Well-Known Member

No one said, it is to hard to get it done, but almost anyone said it is a missmatch with the droprate. Something that should not drop that often, drops way to often. It´s more like, anyone said it´s to easy to obtain :D
    What can someone do, with 1000x spirits an a few obols.... nothing... missmatch... thats all about it :eek:
    I got around 10-15 spirits compared to 20-30 obols ^^ (both drop to often after all and mage stuff beside of armor still is not that type of quality, can´t say the other word which would come in mind ^^)
    Prrasha likes this.
  2. Lament Active Member

Why not; it exactly the same? an uneven distribution of resources led to a block on production? i.e Fragments and Manas.

If you applied the same logic, Steward sells 1 Spirit for 10 Obols, and breaks down 1 Spirit to 7 Obols. I pretty much think that most players would nominate the Dev that introduces this to win the internet....

The problem with 2 dropped currency types for vendor loot in EQ2 is players will almost always see a disparity in drop rates, to all those that reference Void Shards / Marks / Velium Shards, they were only 1 currency. You had a fixed goal and a fixed drop rate. We all know how streaky the RNG is, this is like an EQ2 fact.

As we now have 3 currency system, allowing a slightly inefficient swap would IMHO delight most of the playerbase and increase peoples interest in logging in frankly. Alternatively, there is the option to add a fixed drop rate. There are no plat / shard chests in the new zones and the bosses do not drop any. Most zones have 3 names and a boss, even a 50% standing chance on the non boss names would be better than nothing.

ATM, all I hear in groups is frustration at the amount of stacked spirits and too few obols... most of the regulars I group with have a small fireworks party per obol dropped ^_^ People are still going to be running zones to get essences and adorns and the new "rare loot"... so rare I have never seen one!
    Guiscard and Estred like this.
  3. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Hum.... getting enough of both, so i don´t realy have a problem about the drop rate, it could be more obol then spirits (they are pretty comon).
    The problem i have is, that i don´t know what to buy ^^ Armor is ok, but the rest.... (ok weapons are good to), is not in line with the items... in any ways.... oh, did you know, a bl can buy 2 weapons from the vendor ^^ (was happy as i realized it ^ ^)
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

I was trying to answer points made towards me. I don't mind having extras because I don't maintain a lot of alts. I believe also that in a later post I said that ST was perhaps not set up well enough to be worth the rewards which in fact was agreeing with your argument that Obols do not drop enough compared to Spirits/Essences.

As Lamet just pointed out, the reason Shards have worked before is there was only 1-2 types and they were Heroic vs Raid and you always got them from certain bosses/quests. CoE is 100% random and there will be disparity with that. I hear frustration and say that yes, perhaps they do drop to low.
    Prrasha likes this.
  5. Kalmaraa Active Member

Well here is something, I noted that when I do the writs for the zones, mostly Obol Plains, The Obol tends to drop more often, then if I run around like a chicken with it's head cut off killing everything in sight. I think the Obol drops are more quest favored then your typical farm favored, mainly due to the max level increase for guilds.

To me this makes sense due to the relation between the two. Now as for Shards and such, those where quest rewards for gaining faction which was important in those areas. Here faction is not that important the story line is. Don't do the story line, you can't earn Obol. Being a bit of a lore nut that makes the best sense to me.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Every time I have zoned into ST on Guk its empty, no one but high end raiders can even survive in there, and my server is the lowest population, or one of the lowest.
  7. Mohee Active Member

I would try going there on Freeport, but as I said, everyone I do, its filled with botters running their programs, farming loot and SLR'ing.

At least you have the option of going there without the competition from bots and plat farmers :)
  8. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

6 times being 1 shotted by the first mob. I won't be back in there any time soon.
  9. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I´m no high end raider, well i say so. But i did pug sometimes and when we get it going (sometimes dying a few times in front) but then it goes pretty smooth.... well the drop it can give, it should not be easy, as drop is in same level as raiddrop oO
  10. Geothe Active Member

Obol is extremely easy to aquire.
    Get a group of 6. Spread out around the beach and docs between DC and HE. Start killing all the solo mobs. When a chest drops for one person, everyone can fly over there loot for an obol. Rinse and repeat. 30+ obol an hr easily.
    Guiscard and Kalderon like this.
  11. Geothe Active Member

Maybe try going with an actual GROUP to kill the contested HEROIC content maybe?
    Heh.
  12. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Happens to me while i wait for zone in ^ ^
  13. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I was in a full group, we all got 1 shotted by first golem, over and over.
  14. Kalderon Well-Known Member

They kind of hard, yes, but if the tank goes first and the healer second and the rest of the group stays away the first aoe, they should stay alive... at least, that was i notice there.
  15. Foretold Well-Known Member

Geesh... I must have an RNG problem because I have obols out the ****... I mean close to 100... and I've got a grand total of 2 spirit essences. And it took me about 12 heroic instance runs to get those two.
  16. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

If you raid they drop from trash for everyone, at a much higher rate, like a 100 times more likely, than solo/heroic. But essences just drop off of named in heroic zones, no solo way to obtain that I have seen.
  17. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Yep, those do drop not that often.... but anyway, what you can buy for isn´t worth taking time to obtain anyhow.....
  18. Lempo Well-Known Member

It isn't 'fun' when everyone in the group can't just charge in without regard. There is no room or reason for having to observe any sort of strategy or just exercisng common sense in an MMO. People just want loot. /sarcasm
    Kalderon likes this.
  19. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Edit, you have added sarcasm to it :p
  20. Prrasha Well-Known Member

You've just restated the problem as the solution. If I've got a group of six together, I want to do group stuff.

Perhaps all raid items should be useless until the whole 24-man raid spreads out across Antonica and harvests tuber strands for an hour per item?
    CoLD MeTaL likes this.