New Login Screen - Abomination or a blessing

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Pixiewrath, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Pixiewrath Active Member

The servers are still not online, but you can still log in. I just did. And saw this.

I was almost in tears... of the negative kind. The old char screen was beautiful and detailed and deep. This is just hurting my eyes with it's brightness.

Who made this choice and can we toggle the old one on somehow?

Is there anyone out there who really prefer this to the old one?
    Guiscard likes this.
  2. Mohee Active Member

I prefer the old one. Please give me an option between the two!

Besides... all my character are good aligned, and this background looks more evil in my opinion...
    Guiscard likes this.
  3. Merovee New Member

I like it more than the old one, but yes, the colors should definitely be dulled down a bit. It is a tad..... bright.
  4. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

I actually like it better than the older one. And I feel its neutral in tone (meaning not good or evil aligned). All my personal opinion of course.
  5. eq2Liaya Member

Nice new screen,
  6. Mohee Active Member

Can we all agree at least that people should have the choice to pick which one they want to use? (imagine if you had no choice between the old models or the soga models)
    Guiscard likes this.
  7. Stormkiller Member

as i mentioned in a similar thread i like it
  8. SgtPmpkn Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity, I dont recall what the character select screen was before the Tunaria one... i slightly remember the tower on the isle of refuge. But we didnt have a choice back then between that and Tunaria, so I'm not sure of the odds we will now.
  9. Pixiewrath Active Member

Like I just mentioned on Facebook. Having that Isle of Refuge one back as an alternative would also be really nice.

But at least they have kept the music from EoF in the char screen. So all hope is not lost.
    Mohee and Guiscard like this.
  10. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

it is just a stopping place to pick a character - to tell you the truth cannot even remember what the old one was prior to this one
  11. Pixiewrath Active Member

It is also the very first impression a new person get to the game after logging in. This one is so bright my eyes hurt and it has nothing interesting going on either. In the old one we had a relaxing water fall and birds flying around. Here I almost just see a still picture.

They could at least add half of the screen in greyscale or add an energy vortex or anything to make it not look barren.
    Mohee likes this.
  12. Faliz Member

That would be an interesting idea for the development team.

Bringing back the Isle of Refuge character select screen would be interesting. A lot of new players would be wondering where to find it and how to get there!
  13. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

must be the video card, just loaded up to see it and it does not overly bright - using multiple Nvidia GTX 690's and the latest driver
  14. Pakhet Member

I actually prefer this one for two reasons:

1) The animations in the old one for some reason freaks out my computer. I can run the game itself on pretty high graphics and I can run new games just fine on max and get 40-100 FPS on most of them. But, for some reason, my card HATES that old char select screen and it sets the fan speed to max and if left on it too long, will completely lock up my PC. No other part of the game causes issues and no other game causes issues, so not sure what about it my card just doesn't like.

2) I think the new one is prettier. :D It's the Ethernere and frankly if the color scheme bothers you, you might have issues with the new zones too from what I saw on beta.

Putting an option in wouldn't hurt anyone though.
  15. Ladymist Well-Known Member

The new character select screen is a nice change. I feel they should have done this with each new expansion. I am actually please with the vibrant colors
  16. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any game that allows you to switch the character select background. It is also common for the background to change with a new expansion for many MMO's. We've had the same one for so long, it's nice to see an update to it.
  17. Pixiewrath Active Member

And why is it so extremely horrible, Salavar, to let people choose between the old and new one?

Noone would lose anything on that and everyone would be happy.

Since I've heard so much talk about "EQ2 is a game with lots of choices" ever since AoD was launched up until the Fan Faire, it would be reasonable to give us this choice.
    Mohee and Guiscard like this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

I think it's funny people complaining about the color and asking for it to be "toned down". Um, that IS what the new zones look like. Your character is set in the Ethernere.
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  19. squishy New Member

It would be nice to have the character select screen show where you camped.
  20. Xianthia Well-Known Member

This new select screen is great, was a great surprise when I went to beta recently and saw it.
    NrthnStar5 likes this.