Ask a Bruiser...

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Obano, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Obano Well-Known Member

This thread this is for new players and veterans alike who may have a question about the Bruiser class. I have 7 years experience playing Bruiser as a main and will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Please read the overall class synopsis first. Your question may have already been answered there. If you need clarification on something this thread will be the best place to ask.

I am trying a monk/bruiser brand new on another server trying to get a fresh start any tips for soloing the class 1-95?
  3. Obano Well-Known Member

Try leveling a tailor along with your adventure class. Master crafted leather will be the best gear you can get aside from the fabled master crafted gear from the reactants.

Low level AA build goes something along the lines of:

AGI line 4 - 10
    WIS line 4 - 10 - 8 - 1
    INT line 1 for eagle spin

In the Bruiser tree go for 5 points ignore pain, 5 points indomitable will, 5 points upper cut, 5 points sucker punch, 1 point for drag.

The standard solo CA combo is: open with Baton Flurry, hit eagle spin which turns the mob, then keep it stunned from behind with upper cut shoulder charge, crane sweep, drag + moving backwards will also give you the mobs back. Sucker punch can only be used while behind the mob so getting a turn combo down is important for maximizing solo potential. Don't forget you can skip a lot of trash mobs by training and then FD. Getting to your quest mobs or named is very efficient with a bruiser.

_____________________________________________________________________________
    [IMG]
  4. Karpov Member

i have a question i am a monk what do you think is the main thing that sets bruisers and monks apart?
  5. Obano Well-Known Member

There is actually quite a bit of difference between monk and bruiser. The oldest difference that goes way back is that Bruisers are more CA dependent while the monk does more damage from auto attack. This is still represented in the modern game that Bruisers need more +ability mod to cap out their CAs.

Another big difference is that Bruisers are better at large encounters and multiple mobs than monks which are primarily considered to be single target tanks. Bruisers have access to a very powerful positional blue AE snap as well as Divide and Conquer which is better at snapping the entire encounter than Monk's peel.

Bruisers also add unique utility such as drag, non-AA based teleport, a superior avoidance transfer, and ability to cast immunity on other players. Bruisers also get an additional zero damage intercept which is good for putting on scouts or healers so then can live through one shot AoEs. I am pretty much the only bruiser that does this though with a macro but I will share it with you.

/useabilityonplayer <player name> Soak Hit

Monks have better tools for MTing and Bruisers have better tools for OTing. The animations on bruisers are more streetwise and monks are more trained, Pick the one you like better and you can excel at either in any situation. They are mostly the same.
  7. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Monks have a better fluff spell Kata than Bruisers, IMO.
    Sixgauge likes this.
  8. Bchizzle Active Member

Monks are smarter and better looking. Bruisers fit better in prisons and other hell holes.
    StaticLex likes this.
  9. Karpov Member

ahh ok thanks obano i have one other question is the bruiser better supported as main assist as adversed to the monk? i always thought the monk's defensive stances were better than a bruisers. so my main question is: how well can a bruiser take main assist?
  10. Obano Well-Known Member

Being main assist for for the raid is NOT a class skill but a player skill and what your raid leader prefers.

Both Monks and bruisers defensive stances were pretty much the same before CoE. Monks may disagree with this and I am sure Bchizzle will too but the only thing monks have that is a better is defensive temp Body like a Mountain had its detriments reduced while bruiser Rock Skin is absolutely horrible. Since rock skin is tied to our defensive prestige Monks get a few extra bonuses if they spec fully defensive in their prestige while the bruiser defensive prestige is not really viable.

Rock Skin has a pretty cool ward. The difference between monks and bruisers as tanks really boils down to the fact bruisers get a higher amount of damage reduction from their mythical vs the monks getting more mit.
  12. Firebringer New Member

Hey Obano,
    New player here (or at least I've been gone so long that I might as well be starting over) and I have a 32 Bruiser. For soloing I really love the class; haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Gorowyn and ButcherBlock content. I do have two pretty big questions though.

1. I want to start doing group content soon and I wanted to know what are the usual power rotations that Bruisers use to try and manage aggro as a MT for a group? Are there specific AAs I should be looking at to maximize my ability to handle multi-mob pulls?

2. I have read that Bruisers are (slightly) better than monks at AoEs. Right now, at 32, I think I have like 1 AoE power. Am I missing something? Are there some others powers or AAs that give a Bruiser more than 1 AoE per 30 seconds?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If there are ready-made guides or links that you know of that can answer my questions I'd love to take a look at them.
  13. Jacck Active Member

I have noticed that the higher Damage reduction is only applicable to the trauama based (physical damage) hits. Arcane, Nox and Elemental isn't affected it seems. Or, I am dumb. That could be it as well.
  14. Epixz Member

my question is why has OP start this thread when he isnt Corrydon?
  15. Bananaz Member

Why hasnt Rockskin been fixed yet?
  16. Malleria Well-Known Member

Because Corydonn hasn't played regularly in some time?
  17. Epixz Member

and yet an inactive corydonn is still worth a thousand time an active obano
  18. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Whoever told you that Bruisers have better AoE damage than Monks must not be aware of how outrageously awesome Dragonfire becomes with the end-game prestige abilities. Brawler AoE is not very impressive, but it is consistent and gets the job done. That is, until Monks get the prestige upgrades to Dragonfire, and it starts melting entire encounters. If you manage to use Dragonfire during Combat Mastery and Time Warp, you can even make warlocks look bad.
  19. Hert Member

indeed. monks are soo op. buff all the other tank classes please. especially bruisers
  20. Davngr Well-Known Member

yup.. sorry obano but as others have said monk is ahead of bruiser in aoe and single target and damage and tanking. i guess all that crying that monks have done over the years about having to have everything bruiser has and keep their own abilities intact has worked.