New Forum - a step BACK in evolution!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nynaeve, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nynaeve Active Member

seriously?
    no templates, no way to change the background to a dark color and text to a light one?
    but you got now FACEBOOK LIKES YEAAAH. oh well.
    seriously, this new forum is way worse than the old one!
    Guiscard and Wirewhisker like this.
  2. Jelrak New Member

Not true - this one at least loads ;)
  3. Pariel Active Member

I dunno...I've managed to
    a) load this forum
    b) Not sit and wait 10 minutes to log in, only to be either redirected to another sony.station page, or come back to the forum not logged in
    c) Posted and not received a duplicate post error after waiting 5 mins to actually post

These new forums are 110% better than the others. I daresay templates will come, as will avatar selections.. but on the whole, the forum experience is so much better as it is now - anything additional is a complete bonus!
    Terein likes this.
  4. Nocturnus Member

I don't think it's a step back at all...

Looks are one thing. Functionality is another. These boards are far nicer in terms of functionality.

If they can add more skins? Great. Not really a requirement from the start, being I can actually USE these.
  5. Vandrago Active Member

At least they load.. Just wish they didn't have rewards for post count.
    Rogue4Life, Guiscard and Tylia like this.
  6. Nynaeve Active Member

better lock this thread. i didn't see the topic has it's own sticky.
    well. forum is allright. if i was a postaholic I would wish a more eye friendly color scheme though.
  7. Terein Active Member

I'll complain about how they look all day, but I can't say this is a step back, as others have mentioned it doesn't take them 10 minutes to load each page which makes such a massive difference even if they do hurt my eyes. :(
  8. Xianthia Well-Known Member

It's a "little" slow to load, but in comparison to old ones I know I don't have to wait 3 minutes to have them load.

(Three minutes being generous sometimes would be much longer.)
  9. Mysstie Well-Known Member

What kind of weird color/contrast settings do you have you video cards/monitors set to? I find the forum very easy to read and easy on my eyes. Dark brown text against a light tan parchment looking background. I wear glasses and would be one of the ones complaining if it wasn't. But yeah, I used to have a LCD and CRT monitor attached to the same video card and I could never get the colors/contrast on both monitors to come close to matching. What would be washed out on the CRT would be distinct differences on the LCD.

Hopefully down the road there will be more theme/color scheme choices. Granted, I am one of the ones that really does not prefer black backgrounds.

I suppose the browser itself, OS, clear-type settings and so on could also impact how the forum "looks".
  10. Mae- Well-Known Member

The background is not a solid color, the HUGE black edges are such a startling difference, and the letters, while not small, are THIN, so while I generally don't have eye strain issues on my computer, I do on this forum. I can't pinpoint exactly why, just that the background feels very bright to my eyes after only a few minutes of viewing.
    Terein likes this.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

I agree. I find myself squinting at the forums after reading them for a bit and I've never had that problem before.
  12. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Would "mend it -- don't end it" have been such a bad idea for the old forums?
  13. Jalek Active Member

The old forums were a custom package, I doubt they still have the original developers around to maintain or add to them.
    This is XenForo with just minor tweaks so far.
  14. Mrrshan Member

Well, at least it loads although I am not crazy about the whole setup
  15. Andariel Member

Yeah gotta agree could honestly care less what it looks like at least the thing loads now unlike before waiting an hour to open a stupid post
  16. Darkmoogle Member

loads quick, search function works. a job well done.
  17. Wurm Well-Known Member

Fixed. Leave it to SOE to only half do anything., I can live with the weird format of the forum (though I don't like it), but having over half the of the most important sub-forums missing at launch is inexcusable.

One thing I do like is my spell check works every time here, that wasn't the case with the old forums.
    Terein and Guiscard like this.
  18. Soulsercher New Member

Good bye, my low post count. You'll be missed.

Anyhow, I agree on the "At least it loads" front. Everything else will take some time to adjust.

Now, can we please get an option to stay logged in? Having to continuously type in my PW after every time I close my browser is still not a safe option.
    toves, Terein and Guiscard like this.
  19. Tylia Well-Known Member

It's not a problem of being able to "see" the text on the light background. It's a matter of eye strain that occurs after just a few minutes of reading the forums due to the very light background (which is not a solid color) combined with the very wide black empty space on each side. The black space leads the eyes to the center, where there is extreme contrast difference. It's a constant assault on the eyes with no relief. Also, the center "parchment" area is not a solid color, so it adds a lot of "noise" to what the eye takes in.

After just a few minutes reading these forums, I have to leave because of the eye strain and the resulting headache.
    Terein and Guiscard like this.
  20. SteelPiston Active Member

THIS^ The new forums are 1000X better than what we had even though the aesthetics aren't as good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.