Zoom Out Distance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalipto, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Kalipto Augur

Where in the eqclient.ini file can I change the max distance the camera can zoom out?

My laptop zooms out considerably further than my desktop. And I could just copy the ini file but I want to adjust it differently per computer.
  2. john5 Lorekeeper

There is no max distance setting. What is most likely happening is, your laptop resolution has a wider display ratio (4:3, 16:9, 16:10 etc).

I play in windowed mode, sometimes I need to see my alt's chat while focusing on my main (learning languages for example). To do this, I shrink my main's window vertically from the bottom, moving it up a few inches. This causes my zoom to appear much further out as my 3rd person view adjusts to keep my toon's name in the window. Less vertical and more horizontal = looks like zoom. This is also testable on the character select screen- if you shrink your screen there you will see much much more of the background.

One exception to this is in the player housing neighborhood. The zoom out max is much further there to allow easier building.
  3. Kalipto Augur

Thanks for the input John, I thought the dependency might be resolution based. Some people in my guild said they adjusted an INI file and now have more zoom. But mysteriously nobody could tell me what part to change because it had been too long. heh, I'm guessing they were just miss-remembering.
  4. Captain Video Augur

You can set the screen resolution to anything you want in the .ini file, and you can set it separately for windowed and full-screen modes. I've talked to a few people who have set their resolution manually to a 21:9 aspect ratio, or close to that, and it will affect how far back you can zoom.
  5. Duhbeast Augur

I had asked the devs to program the zoom out similar to the housing area, that would be awesome. Another thing to do if you can figure out the movements, is pretty F9 until you the the one that zooms way out, and move the camera behind your person.
  6. Zipe The Healer

7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Verified, it does depend on the zone. The neighborhood zone has a large zoomout limit. Just allowing all zones to have the same value would solve this.

Can also confirm the other point. Hit F9 twice, then you can zoom much further out in normal zones. I used it a lot when kiting, it was very useful, unless the zone had a lot of trees, in which case, it was totally useless!
  8. Zunnoab Augur

I wonder if that's related to the scaling thing.

Correct me if I have been wrong for many, many years but I believe zones have different player/mob scaling factors. This is why spells seem like they have longer or shorter range in some zones than others especially in the past. Each unit looks bigger or smaller in those zones. If I'm wrong, never mind me.