Yoyo-tanking

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Agrippa, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Agrippa Augur

I was asked to tank the golem in Argath raid with my paladin and asked to use this tactic. Basically, I had to establish aggro, then run out of melee range (the golem is rooted), get summoned, run out of range, get summoned, and so forth. The victory felt cheap. Is this a legit strategy or something that raids use when they are short healers or something?
  2. Gladare Augur

It's known as summon tanking. You'll get mixed responses to your question. Some will support it and others will have the same reaction as you and be very vocal about it. However, it's not a new strategy by any means.
  3. Kurayami Augur

It is also referred to as leash tanking, depending who you talk to. First time I've heard it called yoyo tanking though, lol. Personally I don't see what is so glorious about being able to lazily stand in a corner, is a lot more work to back up, time some agro, rinse repeat for a whole raid. It is very true it requires less healing, and most raids don't prefer it as it can create major agro problems for people wanting to melee said named.

As Gladare said, you will get many mixed opinions on this tactic, as you will any tactic probably.... Someone will always have a beef about what you do on here, just the way it is.
  4. Razzak Elder

many tanks have done this over the years and imo is a viable strat to conserve mana...you are working within the confines of the event and the potential penalty still exists if you try to over exploit this, ie dont dps the mob or youll be rezzing hehe. Was the event designed to be yoyo'd probably not...did dev's realize it would likely happen, probably so
  5. Noobieguy Augur

In that raid specifically, it works well and allows a person to tank it, that maybe could not tank it straight up. Requires much less healing than if you were to just stand there toe to toe.
  6. Elricvonclief Augur

Old tanking strat.

Saves heals, and saves dps.