Not A Bug Your target is too far away, get closer!

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Angahran, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Angahran Augur

When you pull a mob, 90%+ of the time the mob will stop EXACTLY out of melee range and proceed to beat you to death while you gat the message "Your target is too far away, get closer!"
    This is annoying and frustrating.
    If a mob is close enough where it can melee you it should be close enough for you to melee it.
  2. Herf Augur

Maybe they have longer arms than you do? Are you a gnome? :)
    Wdor and Nennius like this.
  3. Disapointed Lorekeeper

This is usually resolved by clicking off levitate, or in your case Bobbing Corpse.

While it's fairly annoying, it is easily fixed 99% of the time.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Herf Augur

Yes, the game does not deal properly at all with the vertical dimension. Never has.
    Skuz and Fenthen like this.
  5. Warpeace Augur

I don't think it's levitation that Angahran is referring to, its simply the mob will stop outside your melee range and proceed to beat you to death while you can't touch it without having to reposition.

Levitation is great for casters and melee but for tanks its horrible.
    Skuz, Joules_Bianchi and Angahran like this.
  6. Angahran Augur

This.

Nothing to do with levitation.
    This bug has been a source of annoyance for probably the last 5 expansions at least.

I'm sure someone will respond with the usual "'camps' don't exist. so you're not supposed to stand in one spot and have mobs come to you. you're supposed to constantly move to the mobs....."
    Joules_Bianchi and Svann2 like this.
  7. Herf Augur

I wasn't referring to levitation. Go to FoB and stand on the edge of the Kurns ramp, well above mobs. Cast an offensive spell on one. It will run up to the edge of the ramp at your X,Y position, but at a very different Z. Then it will somehow 'reach up' 20 or 30 feet in game to hit you from below.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ive never understood how a mob could be literally biting me and still be out of range. Seems like for him to even touch me he would have to be at zero range at least some of the time.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

Its mouth is further from its body than your hand is from your body. Like that trope where the jock holds the nerd back by his head while hes trying to swing on him.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its mouth is literally touching my body. Why cant I punch him in the teeth?

edit: or to use the jock holding the nerd back by the head example: If an orc is holding me at arms length by my forehead and I have a sword you know what happens next? He loses that arm.
    Skuz and Angahran like this.
  11. Herf Augur

You are punching his teeth, it's just his teeth are much much tougher than his torso :)
  12. Sheebea Augur

Mob runs up and attacks. It's smacking me 100%. I am out of reach. Annoying to say the least. Yet, my pet is dealing damage, and is many feet behind me. ==> Ogre SHD Tank .
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

Pets melee range is equal to max melee. Player melee range varies based on weapon equipped, and is usually (modern) shorter than mob range to force us to manage our placement.
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

This is a big problem. It's even worse when you are rooted by a mob and they can land melee hits but you can't land melee hits. But you can't move either to get closer or to flee.

I'm not sure how the system works in EverQuest but most games use hitboxes and hurtboxes to detect collision and to calculate if the melee combat lands.

Here's a good video explaining how it works:

15. Ratalthor Developer

This is not a bug. Melee range and hit boxes are based on the size of the NPC. If something is big, it will have a big melee range.
    Nennius likes this.