Your 'Dream' Group Composition

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Verisimilidude, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Verisimilidude New Member

With the imminent release of Kunark, what's your take on the 'best' 6-person group composition?

I'm leaning toward WAR/CLR/ENC/3xWIZ. Seems like this group could take on any group-style content pretty handily. I'm debating if swapping the Warrior for a Shadow Knight might be better, though. Also, is the Enchanter truly necessary? Like, is your overall group DPS better with them than without?

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
  2. Pinto_Bean Augur

5 mages, 1 wiz
    10 mages, 2 wiz
    or
    15 mages, 3 wiz.
    Perfect!
    Protocol likes this.
  3. Lowbrow67 Lorekeeper

In Kunark good to have a rogue in group. Few places you need one to pick locks. Chanter is s good idea unless you can pull singles
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. Jarith Lorekeeper

Depends on what your chanter is doing. If they're just there for clarity in a dungeon where you struggle to find a mob up, then no. If they're allowing your warrior to pull 4+ mobs to camp constantly so you have minimal downtime, keep you from dieing or needing to evac and lose your camp when you get trained/pull too many, and know how to charm to add in dps then they're very useful. Or they can chain AE stun and let your wizards AE everything down. Also they bring slow to keep the boss mobs from taking an undue toil on your cleric's mana pool.

It is one of those classes where the difference between someone half-assing it and being on top of things makes a night and day difference. Likewise it is probably not a good box class when you can use a /melody bard for mana regen + 3 other effects and can always pay attention to it when you need to handle mezzing.

For me personally, ideal group is a tank class, a cleric, a chanter, someone that can snare/evac, and 2 dps. Really with the current population as it is, even with /pick, it can be hard to get 50+ mobs a spawn cycle to your group where you need the ideal dps team. Having a good puller and the ability to handle large pulls is more important to me.
  5. Tudadar Augur

Unless someone in your group map cheats you will want a bard to mass pull and dominate named spawns.
  6. Verisimilidude New Member

I thought Bards weren't going to be solid pullers until we get AAs?
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Dream group.

a 6 man group made up of 6 humans. Oh one can dream.
  8. Nuttmeg Augur

6 real players, no boxes.

That being said:
    War>Pal or SK (plate)
    Cleric > Druid, or Shaman (Wisdom gear)
    Enchanter or Bard
    Rogue>Ranger (chain)
    Wiz>Mage>Necro (cloth)
    Monk (leather)
  9. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

right now I feel like the most important thing is a good puller only because of how much fighting there is over camps... good puller = clean pulls less work for cc always things in camp etc...

Right now with the state of melee and warriors i'd probably go with something like this
    SK (snare + good threat)
    Cleric
    monk/bard (pull faster!)
    enc (cc, buffs, charm!)
    and 2dps, i guess mages are fotm now so...
    mage
    mage
  10. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would say that bards aren't terribly efficient pullers until you get AAs.

But comparing monks to bards, you lack an instant aggro pause/clear, but you have lull, mez, and charm. Your songs take time to cast, so your pulls are slower, but monk feign takes time to reset aggro completely, so it isn't a straight 1 to 1 comparison. Basically, if the group is prepared to work with the puller, either class can accomplish the task sufficiently.
  11. Fiyero Augur

Sk, cleric, ench, rogue, rogue, rogue.
  12. Verisimilidude New Member

It seems like melee scale better in groups than casters do, at least in the sense that Enchanter's haste adds so much DPS to the melee compared to crack just making casters able to function.

Thoughts?
  13. Drathstar New Member

My current group setup is as follows:

Shadow Knight
    Rogue
    Wizard
    Enchanter
    Shaman
    Cleric

We can kill pretty much anything and were constantly killing yellow/red mobs throughout leveling. Shaman buffs/debuffs make a world of difference and reduce mana usage significantly throughout a fight as well as backup heals when the cleric is chealing and/or charm breaks for the enchanter. With coordination we can effectively down a 4 pull of fire giants. The rogue is a decent puller yet lacks good range and has a weak threat reduction. His usefulness will increase dramatically in kunark with epic weapon, double backstab, and lock pick. The most difficult camp for us to break was the kobold king area in Sol B yet we did it at lvl 37 when the king was still red to us. Around lvl 48 we were camping efreeti and pulling all of efreeti area as well as bats and bugs before repop (charmed imps backstabbing for 350+ really adds a ton of DPS).
  14. Verisimilidude New Member

So, you think that the increased mana efficiency of the Shaman outweighs swapping him/her for a fourth DPS? Don't Enchanters get the same debuffs the Shaman do?
  15. Tulgin Augur

It's hard for enchanters to slow when they are doing CC, so mostly mobs will be unslowed on pulls of 2 or 3. Backup heals are always nice too. Plus if the cleric is fine on mana the shaman can go dps mode.
  16. Verisimilidude New Member

On the classic servers now, can Shaman main heal a group and provide the slow? It seems that WAR/ENC/SHM/3xDPS would be a more efficient group setup, provided they can keep up with group-content healing. It seems that with the Enchanter you'll be able to limit the incoming damage a fair bit.

Might it be possible to just brute force everything with WAR/CLR/4xDPS? Or is the haste from the Enchanter going to add more DPS than you gain from swapping him/her to another DPS?
  17. Vlerg Augur

unless you plan on XP'ing on unmezzable mobs ( and why would you take an XP group in veeshan peak?) having a chanter + a puller is a waste... just bring mobs 4 or 5 at a time to your camp.
  18. Vlerg Augur

clarity 2 means alot more DPS on a 3X caster group.
  19. Porygon Augur

My group make up currently, and what I used on Fippy:

Warrior, cleric, shaman, monk, rogue and bard.

You get everything you need, you can consistently kill in any expansion. You never slow down. Monk and shaman can both tank rampage. Bard provides over haste for melee and mana regen for cleric. Warrior with defensive is by far the best tank.

No downsides. Only upsides. And the only group that is going to out dps you is a group with multiple wizards. Which you don't see often.
  20. Verisimilidude New Member

So, why not swap the Monk and Rogue for Wizards?