Your Class and Breaking the "Decent to Great" Barrier

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by 7thNecro, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Repthor Augur

they dont but aggro and takeing as little dmg as possible wile tanking as many mobs as possible is directly related or tankeing multile mobs is a waste of time.
  2. Brohg Augur

Different classes have different learning curves, and differently placed plateaus in the "quality curve". Like the jump on necro is from good (55/60k nightly combined) to great (double that), but the similar jump for clerics is between competent (1/3 of their 100 casts are Ardent Light) and good (0 of 300 casts are Ardent Light).
  3. Kobrah Augur

Ardent light is the suck.. not even on the spell bar when I play cleric
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Sindaiann Augur

LMFAO this post is amazing. Well said
    RPoo and Silv like this.
  5. Brogett Augur

Rogues are an intriguing beast. At times it almost feels like the same skills learnt while playing Quake - circle strafing? Sure it'll come in handy when melee push spins the mob all over the shop and tank has lost control of the pin!

We don't have a huge number of keys to press - enough, but you can get 90% of the dps with very few and the must-have discs. The rest is icing on the cake. However I'm *constantly* moving and holding down my right mouse button for strafe mode - pretty much perma. It's a totally different game to the caster style where some classes have be a lot of buttons to juggle but relatively little positional awareness required.

So I'd say the difference between a good rogue and a great rogue is first and foremost their ability to stick to a moving mob!
  6. Roxxanna Augur

This
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

8. Brohg Augur

And yet on our most recent Calix win, one of our clerics cast 44 of them
  9. Kobrah Augur

One of your clerics is not in the great category :D
  10. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

Any chanty who hasn't learned to keep memblur in a spell slot is no chanty of mine! I can't tell you how often it has saved not only my tuckus, but the entire raid's as well. Especially those shammys and fellow enchanters that ignore assist calls ;)
    Silv likes this.
  11. Tour Augur

My fault for perhaps not making it as clear in text as it was in my mind. When I say "keep the raid alive" I mean the raid as a single entity. Not a collection of 54 individual players, whom you're aoe healing or whatever for example. The point is that great clerics (same would go for most class really) would be doing what is in the best interest / most needed for the raid at any given moment (being cognizant also of what everyone else is also doing). That might be splash heals, that may be healing the MT, that may be healing off tanks, it may be rezzing a healer or crowd control, that may be casting a DA on FV - it could be anything from a huge array of possibilities. If they, as you said, put the MT in serious risk to a degree that it threatens the raid, then they didn't triage the situation properly and do what is in the best interest of the raid as a whole. Sometimes what might not be in the best interest of one player may be in the best interest of the raid. That may mean waiting on a rez, an example I gave originally, or having someone take a few rounds and potential die because you were busy healing someone more critical to the raid as a whole (ex: MT, CC locking down adds, etc). I see no difference in opinion here, maybe just mine needed a bit better wording originally to get across that you're thinking of the raid as a single entity.
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Only enchanter I've ever grouped with that had any kind of aggro what so ever was some one named Dandin. He came an joined Inverse when I was there, an we grped together in plane of war, an thought he was going to tank, then I simply started my normal cycle of aggro .. and he sounded like he was bout to pew pew his pants in TS about how no one ever was able to do that to him before aggro wise.

I've seen first hand how awesome chanter's aggro "can" be if they push. Its just badass all there is to say about it. However, if you as a warrior know how to stack your stuffs they can't touch us warriors on any level in aggro .
  13. Torriadore Elder

Paladins:

One of the top indicators is action per minute (true for a number of classes). Our class can ALWAYS be doing something, you do nothing even for a bit you are not getting your true potential out, with VERY FEW exceptions. Not the only indicator but a big one. Yes, this means weaving stuff between spell casts.

Twincast splash, when to splash, having and knowing how to use a DA hammer, all low hanging fruit for crossing the mediocrity threshold.

Knowing when your tanking, your healing, your curing, your dps (don't laugh) or some hybrid of the previous 4 are the best contributions at any given moment in a raid and having spell sets at the ready for each. Switching spell sets if there is built in downtime in a raid. Even within these categories it is normal to have 1-2 spellsets for a single encounter because our spells within each category deliver their effects in different ways and efficiencies.

GAotI, how to use it and when to use it and how to coordinate using it and WHO to use it on.

Being diligent with old lines like silent piety and aura.

For all tanks, knowing how to use your defensive clicks and abilities and spells, when to rotate, when to stack, how they stack, and how to be proactive instead of staring at the top-down view of your character munching dirt and wondering why you didn't just click that one button to stay alive.

Knowing some of our great support items and working to achieve them, vox stick comes to mind, epic certainly, plenty others from anniversary events and PoWar etc.

Having the unicorn and using it proudly.
  14. Torriadore Elder

Memory, AA blur, AA blanket, unearthed belt do that just fine and save you the slot.

Enchanter spell slots are a premium!
    Foxxbott, Silv, Metanis and 5 others like this.
  15. YellowBelly Augur

Is the op the same Tunare necro that spams general chat with brother island loots? The one who shows the entire server the power of swarms out in the open? I could be wrong but I suspect Im not.
  16. Brohg Augur

razzlefrazzleMemoryomg
  17. 7thNecro Elder

I'm on Tunare but I certainly don't spend any amount of time in brother island more than passing through, and I haven't advertised any loot either.. I prefer my solo time kiting, but that may just be "old school" habits. That zone, and most TDS zones really don't hold my interest. Less efficient to kill anyway.
    Silv likes this.
  18. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

Ahhh, you are absolutely right. Been playing on TLP too long ;)
    Silv likes this.
  19. Windd Journeyman