You think we'll get a new class again? Do we need one?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dramatime, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Dramatime Augur

I tried to Google and search the forums but I couldn't seem to find where anyone posted this in a long time.

I can't really think of a class we don't have but I was just wondering what the rest of the community thought.

In all honesty I don't really think they'd take time to develop a new class at this point. We have so many that are great and so many that need some work/tweaking and also new content need they probably don't really want to work on it. But none the less I thought maybe someone had heard something more definitive.
  2. Lisandra Augur

I doubt we'll ever see a new class but it would be cool for 1 or 2 to be added. It would probably be a pretty massive time sink on their end to create so they would have to tie it to an expansion or some other purchase to recoup the costs of development.

It's probably more likely that we'd get more race/class combos over new classes.
    Dramatime likes this.
  3. Dramatime Augur

Lisandra likes this.
  4. Lisandra Augur

I agree that they went way over board with the balancing. I think each class should have a niche and be better at that niche than any other class otherwise no one is special and we all win the "good job buddy!" award :eek:
  5. Ferry-Tunare Augur

The advanced loot system went out in march like promised. The bugs able to be squished were squished and the rest of the bugs were pushed to live. I believe historically this is how the TLP rollout will go as well. You'll get what is able to be accomplished with the resources at hand.

I genuinely hope we see everything you guys want but I also know there is a very long list of things the live servers have been needing for years that remains unanswered.
    Dramatime likes this.
  6. Belkar_OotS Augur

I may have a contrary opinion to the mainstream line of thought, but I definitely think classes need to have balancing points, and every class should have a few things to offer in addition to their primary niche, for when that niche item falls out of favor or doesn't have immediate applicability.

Buffing used to be a huge increase in power, easily doubling important stats. Now,.... potions, ooc regen, mercs, stagnation of increases, all erode the benefit of being a buffing class.

Pulling and CC abilities went very heavily by the wayside for a long time. Look at all the threads about only wanting 1 enchanter for buffs on raids a few years ago, or not wanting beastlords in RoI for their early years, and current threads about SK raid utility or melee vs casters for DPS. I don't want to be the class that is so heavily niched that I get designed to oblivion, or to the point I can't enjoy the sub-abilities that my class has always had, and areas I want to see more growth and development.

I want each class to have unique contributions, but I don't want to HAVE to have them in order to succeed. Group missions need to be accessible to any reasonably well balanced group.

I see no reason to add more classes, just add more interesting and unique aspects to existing classes.
    Lisandra and Dramatime like this.
  7. Dramatime Augur

I agree with you that race/class combo's will probably be what we get =(.

I mean I really can't think of an amazing class that would be just a minor tweak from what we already have. That's kind of why I started this I was wondering if anyone had seen something somewhere else or perhaps thought of something that would be awesome.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. WooWoo Journeyman

A new class would be fun, but I don't see much value in it. Not sure what roll needs to be filled in. I doubt it would bring in more money, at most it would encourage people to buy the next expansion. Maybe they could limit the class to paying subscribers only?

If they did make a new class, I'd like to see another melee adps class, that has lots of overlap with what the current adps rolls add - a little bit of brd/brz/bst/etc. No unique adps, just an alternative to fill in a group/raid spot.

Or maybe a class designed to protect the non-tanks. Something like group runes, group fade, group fd. Current group balance dynamics where it is set so a knight gets 2 rounded and everyone else gets slaughtered, until everyone is overgeared for the content, is getting dull (its been this way for years now).

So a progression class, with less value to a core group or mindless exp farm.
  9. Dramatime Augur

Haha you're a kind hearted man =). It's like when you get older and you know your parents don't have the money for all the presents you want but you can't help but dream. I love dreaming haha.

I think this is right up there with Locked Servers. It would be cool if they could throw us all a bone, but just like you mentioned they don't have the resources currently.
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. Dramatime Augur

This makes ALOT of sense to me as well. I think having more unique aspects added to each class is a great idea. I mean if you think about it rangers are like druid/warrior/enchanter now compared to what they used to be before fluster and bluster.

I love having to have to use forms of CC and pulling. No matter what group content should require the group to have to use their brains.
    Lisandra likes this.
  11. Axxius Augur

You think we'll get a new class again? Do we need one?

1. No.
    2. No.
    Yinla, roguerunner, Caixaa and 4 others like this.
  12. Brohg Augur

There are legit arguments that they haven't even sorted out the original 14 classes, and both the two added ones have been or are super problematic. Y'all weirdos want something new tacked on just for there to be something new? I boggle. I am gobsmacked. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    Silv and Iila like this.
  13. Mardy Augur

They won't add a new class, it's too difficult and involved at this point in time. What they really need to do is to start thinking how to branch classes out into further talent/progression choices. AA's in EQ have pretty much met the end of the road, even devs admit to it. There's only so much they could add to AA's, so much they could change. They need a whole new path completely. Things they could do:

-Class specializations. Branch classes out into 2 or more specialization choices. Obviously warriors get to choose the dps path or the tanky path. Clerics can pick being a holy cleric or smite cleric. Wizards pick from specializing into specific elements such as fire vs frost. Rogues can get more creative such as giving them a choice of mobility vs higher dps. Class specializations is the most popular method most MMO's use today, including WoW. It's how you solve the issues with certain classes being unwanted in groups, or say if you have redundant of certain classes you can change and fill another role.

-Sub-classes, much like what GW2 is going to do with their new upcoming HoT expansion. You give ordinary classes a sub-class choice to branch into. So a main class + some abilities from a sub-class.

What would be more realistic is getting a new race than a class at this point in time with EQ. There are some great skins I've seen from illusions, some great npc models also. They could easily add one or more of them as a new race choice.
    Zujilli, Lisandra and Dramatime like this.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I think the 16 classes we have sorta hit every spot.
  15. Elricvonclief Augur

I think 16 classes are enough, that said some new race/class combos would be nice.

I vote for Ogre Magi !:D
    Zujilli and Lisandra like this.
  16. Brohg Augur

Berserker versus Warrior you mean?
    Cleric versus Druid?
    Monk versus Rogue?
    Wizards do that already inside their class with just Fury of Ro versus Eci and a /mems set!

Literally every distinction you tried to use as an example already exists!
    Iila likes this.
  17. Norathorr Augur

No new class is needed. They need to work on bringing some of the existing classes into line with current expectations (Pure melee /cough). As a former berserker I can happily say that they should have added something during GoD that was a healer class. Something like Vanguards Bloodmage an int caster life transfering healer. At this stage of the game I just hope they fix it so I can find any logical reason to actually log in and play a Berserker as at the moment there is no such reason to bother.
  18. fortuneteller Augur

Agree with Nora, that no new class is needed, and resources can be used for lot better Things to do, like more content and such.

But something need to be done with balance between melee / caster. OR the TDS raids need to be changed, because they favor casters too much

Maybe some mechanism that requires them to move back and forth. So when nuke they need to be close to their target, but need to away in between some AE that will cast a shield on int casters, that will return their own damage on them, if they got the shield on.

Today they can more or less stand still, except for some emotes.

Arx 3 is more or less a caster event, as soon as you got the first phase done.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Rather than adjusting TDS raids to be more melee friendly odds are the next raids will swing the balance, it almost always does so I'd rather them just build more raids.
  20. Iila Augur

Next raids will feature silences, spell reflects, and 50k mana drains.