You have failed your adventure!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Poyzen Frawg, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Poyzen Frawg Augur

I'm working my way through LDON hunter and I often see this wonderful message. Does this LDON Statistic really need to be tracked?

It sucks enough that sometimes its beyond your control because the Boss does not spawn or you kill too fast and the mob count misses a couple. Also sucks that most of us would not be here in the first place if the game tracked our rare MOB kill record properly.

The number of failed adventures plays no part in the game at all. Does EQ track our failed raid attempts? Failed HA's or failed missions? No, it does not.

Devs - Get rid of this useless and sometimes insulting measure of progress. Its not needed and will free up a few bytes of room on your servers.
  2. Atvar Augur

I've never ran out of mobs to kill in ldon adventures, even mass killing...
  3. Aurastrider Augur

Successful attempts are part of hero's journey progression so its not as simple as just removing this mechanic I imagine. If you don't care about your actual ranking on the LON board it should not matter if you fail because you quit the adventure. I think where this matters most is on the TLP server when LON launches. It gives those players something to brag about.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It is necessary. And it is tracked. On your adventure window (alt v) is a button that you can click on and it will show you your wins, losses and points for each theme. It will also show you the leaders on your server. Just because you only now are doing LDON's for the hunter's ach doesn't mean they are/were not important in the game. When LDON first came out the points were needed at that time for "Uber Loot". You had to have xxx in different ones to get different augs, spells and weapons. There are still one or two AC augs that are so good that people farm them. Then players started racing to see who could have the most wins on a server so that was some fun competition. So while it is important to you to gain the hunters ach it is important to others of us to complete the other achievements for LDON that perhaps you have not noticed?

But as they say: One man's junk is another man's treasure.

They could also take out those plaques that show who completed "Epic request revisited" or whatever that was and save space.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sounds like someone is doing ldon hunter and is failing a lot of missions because there not getting wrong hunters to spawn so they quit the adventure. btw u can take a ranger and use tracking but there is instances were there tracking wont show all unless u move into the adv further. I know because that's what im doing with my ranger. and your wrong saying nobody cares about the failures as im doing them and finishing all the adv I get. this wiz char used to be be my main and now working on my ranger. 300 in commonlands and still need 2 hunters from arena of chance sad how rare these hunters are. Ive never had a boss not spawn as they spawn after so many mobs are killed. I used to do mob count but do boss now as it gives more adv points. Im on FV so there a few items that sell good. Would be great if you could select the zone you want but that's wishful thinking I think.

Andarriel
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

what I find lame is when no hunters actually spawn in a adv. half the times I actually get arena of chance there no hunters at all.

Andarriel
  7. Nifty Slacker Augur

I don't think it's worth the developers time to modify 15 year old content because someone doesn't like their win/loss ratio. What an ego by the way.
  8. smash Augur

Then if you do not like the message, stop canceling it.

If you do hunter complete them. I like to keep track of wins fails and compare to others.
  9. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Nice.
    I have to agree; it should not matter. Go Go TLP.
    The epic request grants Achievement points. As far as it is necessary.... to each his own I guess.
    I know this pain.
    I don't think Ego is the right word here... Thin-Skinned-Pansy fits better.
    A painfully good point... <sigh> I just don't like wasting time.

All in all a good discussion... thanks everyone.
  10. snailish Augur

LDoN being points-based vs. everything (?) after being currency based could be a discussion point. Similar to DoN a whole lot of effort went into populating vendors with a bunch of stuff no one ever buys, the vendors could hold a handful of things that actually get used.

If it was up to me, I'd probably just make LDoN give a currency, one that is click on it convertable as of DoN to radiant/ebon (not at a 1 for 1 rate). I think this would give LDoN more use later in progression. The currency being tradable like DoN crystals are would also be an interesting thing to consider.

If the goal is having people want to play lots of LDoN, make it the XP candyland some of us remember.

As for the leaderboards... due to the various ways a person can get a fail (linkdead, server sudden down, etc.) they have always been a bit misleading outside of the total wins sorting --a category normally held by a couple of multiboxers. I doubt removing the leaderboards saves much of anything on a dev side. They could remove them because they are kind of dumb though --leaderboards that recorded in game the first 10 to max points in each theme, or the guild to finish all the raids in a theme would be slightly more meaningful I suppose.
  11. Rickate Augur

The issue with LDoN gear is mainly the steep scaling on points, even setting aside FV/Brekt where it's really trivial to gear a new character from LDoN vendors, the items are fine, they were simply created at a time with completely different time vs reward parameters. DoN offers similar gear options with tradeable currency, also 7 loyalty = 100 Ebon/Radiant.

Flawed Defiant Silk Sandals
    Purity: 20
    AC: 21 HP: 63 + 2/tick MANA: 75 END: 0
    STA: 18 STR: 6 WIS: 5 INT: 16 DEX: 23 AGI: 10 + 1 CHA: 13
    SV FIRE: 10 SV COLD: 11 SV MAGIC: 13 SV POISON: 8 SV DISEASE: 11
    Focus Effect: Spell Haste III (decays above 60)
    1: Increase Spell Haste by 15%
    Slot 1, type 7: empty
    Slot 2, type 13: empty
    Required level of 37. Recommended level of 50.
    Class: NEC, WIZ, MAG, ENC

Immortal's Bloodied Sandals
    AC: 12 HP: 65 MANA: 85 END: 0
    STR: 6 DEX: 6 AGI: 6
    SV COLD: 7 SV POISON: 7 SV DISEASE: 7
    Focus Effect: Spell Haste IV (decays above 65)
    Slot 1, type 1: empty
    Slot 2, type 2: empty
    Slot 3, type 3: Glowing Ore of Rapid Thought
    Recommended level of 65.

Intricate Defiant Silk Sandals
    Purity: 30
    AC: 23 HP: 98 + 2/tick MANA: 110 + 1/tick END: 0
    STA: 18 STR: 3 WIS: 8 + 1 INT: 16 + 1 DEX: 21 AGI: 15 + 1 CHA: 22
    SV FIRE: 13 SV COLD: 18 SV MAGIC: 9 SV POISON: 8 SV DISEASE: 17
    Clairvoyance: 1
    Focus Effect: Speed of the Ikaav (bene only, decays above 70, det on legs)
    Slot 1, type 7: empty
    Slot 2, type 13: empty
    Required level of 48. Recommended level of 60.

Outside of FV/Brekt it would take someone who refuses to use Defiant or of course plays on a server where Defiant doesn't drop, once you reach Level 53 group average you can choose Hard and start gaining 34 points per win which is still pretty easy with mercs, good buffs and/or a balanced group. Once you reach Level 58 group average choosing Hard means 51 points per win. But now the punchline, it costs 2642 points for those feet or just under 52 wins doing Level 58-62.9 Hard or Level 63-67.9 Normal while grinding AA by choice or being level capped by server rules.

If you want to start working on those 2642 points at a lower level, going down each level range is around 2/3 of the points, so something like 22, 15, 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1. Even if you plan on gearing up with LDoN you don't get much of a head start going there at Level 18, choosing hard and getting ~2 points per win.

Rather than converting LDoN into DoN currency make a copy of the LDoN vendors in Brell's Rest and slash the prices. ~5 missions for a top tier piece of gear and a focus aug and it's a reasonable option for a new player or character to gear up in LDoN provided Underfoot is open on the server. Other than Defiant, LDoN remains some of the best pre-70 gear, it's simply vastly more efficient considering the speed of leveling on non-prog servers to use whatever you trip over on the way to 70 and then pick a gearing path for 70+.

If the Devs were concerned with the weak itemization for 1-69 they would be more likely to remove the req level on one or more sets of gear than mess around with LDoN. TBM Tier 1 gear having no req level (the 5-10 Remnant stuff) would solve all low level gearing concerns for anyone who bought an expansion since pre-orders launched in 2015 and have no impact on prog servers.

Flawed or a higher set of Defiant with no req level would help players out since /trader space is likely the main issue with availability. It's such a tiny market to put Flawed up for sale to help out players who feel they need a gear boost to get from 37 to 48 and have some plat to spare, if instead players were looking for Flawed from 1-47, Intricate from 1-58 or Elaborate from 1-69 you dramatically increase demand which most likely results in increased supply.

It's unclear if a permanent source for any gear that can be equipped below Level 100 will ever appear again, doing anything with 1-69 gear is really unlikely and LDoN will remain quality gear that is unrealistic to obtain while it's relevant outside of Free Trade and Prog servers.
  12. snailish Augur

If they made anything on the vendor list a random rare % to drop in the theme... even then the "not wanted" pieces could be traded back in for points.

They don't need to redo 1-75 itemization, TSS expac does that really well. Defiant actually overdoes it --which is fine on live servers, but shouldn't happen during TSS on progression.

Back to LDoN... I agree with your point that it would be more desirable/used if it was less steep to acquire. I like the % rare drop idea... but another option is to really drop the prices from the vendors.
  13. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

They should, since on my server those were all snapped up in the first 2 or 3 hours by a few select folks with connections in high places. They were fed the strats and were ready to go as soon as the servers came back up. They even did them on their alts ASAP to steal it from actual dedicated adventurers playing their mains. Everyone else had to figure it out the hard way over the course of a few days, with no empty plaques left.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Thank you !!! The only good thing is those plaques are in a zone I don't go to often cause it just irritates me when I see those names and think how little those players cared about the actual concept and only for the end result.