You can no longer illusion through doors

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Roadgame, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Minato Augur

think the main issue here is the fact they have many more pressing issues to deal with in the current game and they go back to many many years ago and fix something when they should be fixing the current game.

Who knows maybe issues today will be fixed next decade
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. YellowBelly Augur

They probably did it because Luclin just unlocked on that tlp server. There were lots of locked doors in Vex.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. smash Augur

find it ok they fixxed the thing, as i see it, they did not make locked doors for people just to bypass with illusion/Mount,

But you can then say that when a rogue/bard, unlocks a door, it should stay unlocked for like 30 min.

Also maybe make so that there is a place where you can get a key for that specific door.

The locking of doors after 30 min, could be a night/day Watch going rounds, locking doors.
  4. GoneFission Augur

Could they arrange that rogues can unlock the Guild Hall doors? I'd like to see my GH on Bert again.

I would be OK with a Tardis installed in the Guild Lobby as a public teleporter. (if they can't unlock the doors)

On the other hand, look how compact the player AA database is now!
  5. snailish Augur

Looking at the to-do list of EQ bugs there are a few.

One just got fixed. This is the right direction.

It doesn't matter how old the bug is. It doesn't matter if there was convenience out of the bug. It doesn't matter if opinions vary on the severity/importance of the bug (maybe the programmer that fixed this has been working on it for 15 years, maybe someone said "You know we should look into that again" and it was an easy fix with today's knowledge/dev).

What matters is are their any unintended (as in outside of sadistic game design like no one but a rogue will go here... there are places that was intended) consequences. In particular, do some new bugs need to be added to the to-do list as a result of this fix? Granted it is more likely that additional old bugs should be more of a priority (i.e., any door blocking some sort of progression that players have only been able to bypass via this now-fixed bug).

Farming out lockpicking to an all class AA, marketplace item, tinkering thing etc. is really the scope of a different thread and is no different than asking for a Tracking for all AA (to name another class restricted ability that any other class could find use for).
  6. segap Augur

From an engineering point of view, this is actually the wrong direction. Fixing old bugs that do not negatively impact users in an ancient code base is risky and not worth it. Especially when you look at the lack of resources they typically have on the QA side.
    eqgamer, Vdidar, Fanra and 3 others like this.
  7. Jaerlyn Augur

While I don't care one way or the other about them fixing the old doors, I'm hoping this was just a consequence of them fixing something in the code that bugs collision, and wasn't an intentional 'let's go look at bugs that don't really matter compared to all the ones that do...'

Yes, bugs need to be fixed. I really, really, hope they didn't spend time and resources fixing this bug because of doors, when their is so much more to be doing. (Unless someone was doing it on their own time, in which case I say go nuts on old bug fixes, if you really want to.)
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

They fixed the bug because TLP servers are raiding Vex Thal and using illusions to go through doors. Of course, this means Live is affected too.
  9. Yimin Augur

It is about time the removed this exploit ...

Yi Min
  10. Razorfall Augur

*Leaves bug in game for over 10 years*
    *Finally fixes it because it's become a problem on Phinny*
    Vdidar, Xeladom, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  11. Nandary Griefs Lorekeeper

12. Bigstomp Augur

This still makes me very sad.
    Ishtass and Kaenneth like this.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

14. svann Augur

Those doors are so old that we should be able to just bash through them or blow them up.
    Fanra likes this.
  15. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

How about you fix the Pet Vanishing problem with the Server Crashes? That has been going on for over 10 years so it should be next on the to do list right?
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Never knew about these ways around locked doors but then again don't think I ever tried to get around any without a rogue to pick the lock.

But I do agree that whenever we see these 14-17 year old bugs fixed that it is probably for the progression servers. Phinigel is the cash cow for Daybreak so it is to be expected that they will fix these things if they think it will be better for the TLP servers.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

So TLP > all other servers?

Andarriel
  18. snailish Augur

...from an income standpoint, what if they are?

If changes made to the overall game are a fix, then the fix is warranted.

If changes made to the overall game arise out of improving a special ruleset server (progression, zek, FV, Quarm) then it becomes a question of "Is this change an overall improvement to the game?".

Locked doors working properly is an improvement to the game functioning as intended.

This doesn't preclude something like "As of SoF era all locked doors from prior expacs will now be unlocked" or "as of HoT era the AA ability picklock will be available to all classes" or "As of TSS era the Shady Swashbuckler in Commonlands will have a supply of temporary keys one might find useful"

It's pretty easy to tune a change for the entire game based on making it available at the appropriate time on the progression servers, which automatically gives it to the live servers right away.

As far as the illusion through door and such bug, it's good that it is fixed. I think it is fair to say that some of the playerbase has an appetite to see something further done to allow those playing on live servers to access this old content (as it creates blocks... and we had zone flags/keys removed years ago to remove such blocks) without being a rogue (and bard in some cases).
  19. Nandary Griefs Lorekeeper

When?
  20. Qbert Gallifreyan

Always.