You are now a raid boss

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Thrillho, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Viltaire Augur

For whatever it's worth our epic 2.0 click goes to the song window.
  2. Kelefane Augur

even without visage and all that stuff, or even buffless, my regular melee would one round anyone from PoP/PoTime era. I remember buffing to like 11k max back then or so......
  3. Imrahil Augur

Yes, I remember being one of the top 10 paladins in PoP gearwise and I stood short above 11K buffed back then. As a level 100 with fast cast spells and decent enough DPS I am pretty confident that a PoP raid wouldn't stand a chance.
    Fun idea btw!
    Kelefane likes this.
  4. Enizen Elder

All those are also in song window
  5. Arwyn-RoV Augur

As a ranger boss, I'd headshot the clerics.
    Narye likes this.
  6. Falos Augur

When I was a druid in the old days of eq.. i'd convince other people to come to the bazaar 1.0 arena and then engage them dead center in the arena (too big for a corpse drag without entering the arena) and then i'd ensnare them for 14 minutes and dot kill them evacing right before the dot got the kill shot, or i'd just ensnare them and let them run around super slow for 14 minutes.

If i chose to kill them though i'd wait for them to come back and get their corpse, then snare / root + dot kill em again. pretty much an endless cycle till i got bored or they begged for it to stop.
  7. Velora Journeyman

First Attempt against 100 level raid mage: Raid groups up, waiting for warrior to run in. Mage turns to raid, casts Beam of Brimstone, 72 PoP raiders die.

Second Attempt against 100 level raid mage: there is no second attempt, guild complains about event being overtuned.
    Potawatomi likes this.
  8. Talif Augur

Assuming full normal damage and not PvP damage, I'd say wizards would be fine through SoF or so. HoT if you gave us a cleric merc =p.
  9. Annastasya Augur

i think you guys are vastly overrating your individual power. Tactics matter. Players dont have raid boss abilities, like summoning , large ranged AEs and abilities, melee from further than their hitbox etc.

How is a 100 Rogue gonna kill even one group of level 60 rangers and a bard? much less that plus 8 other groups of players who are trying to range you down and not clumping up? Can you chase down and kill players over a large area faster than they get rezzed by 6-9 clerics? nope you cant.

The critical point is speed, at what level do characters reach their maximum possible speed, if they all run as fast as you , you cant beat them, it may take forever for them to beat you but it will happen.
  10. Mykaylla Augur

Run 5 is GoD and level 61. Many meleeing classes now have leap abilities that can take them right to their target, whether they run or no, and/or push/pull abilities like Moving Mountains, Hate's Attraction, Compliant Lurch, Lure of the Siren's Song, and Divine Call that drag a mob directly to you, as well as abilities that just plain let you move forward fast like Lyre Leap, Impel, et cetera. Run speed buffs cast faster now, and in a lot of cases, are instant, allowing clicking on the run to ever close that gap.
    Some classes now have extremely hard or impossible to resist snares that were not available then.
    Chain rezzing in that era is with Reviviscence at a base cast time of 7 seconds with a 15 second reuse, and Water Sprinkler of Nem Ankh epic click at 10 seconds until spell rez is back up again (This is what people were doing in Inktuta), and those spell rezzes cost more than heals. Even with 11% spell haste (which they don't have) and modern era raid boots 30% beneficial spell haste focus (which they don't have), that still only hastens the spell down to 4.1 seconds today. *If* they're lucky, they'll have someone with a Staff of Forbidden Rites (rare because it was taken out of the game fast) or a Baton of the Sky (Cleric Sky quested 2hander, not a lot have or had them), which is 10 charges of 90% rez for the former, and 3 charges of 90% rez for the latter, presuming they're full. That's a BEST case scenario for them.
    HP buffing at that time took reagents and two and a half times the mana used in a CH for a single target virtue in PoP era. At 60, you got Aegolism in Luclin, but in Kunark and Velious era level 60, it was still the three separate buffs, and no mana regen on druid skin until Protection of the Cabbage.
    Capping stats was harder, and perhaps even more importantly, overcapping stats was harder, and that means that if you hit someone at that level, even just flinging our superior higher level throwing weapons at them, their encumbrance goes up, and their agility and speed goes down, which makes outrunning a much trickier tactic.
    Casters are sitting ducks while they cast, and they had to stand still for longer- raid geared wizards are now sitting at max spell hastening when buffed, healers are using spells that cast in 1.8, or even 0.5 seconds far more often than the slower ones, and what we call "slow" nowadays, are things that take 2-3 seconds to cast. Then, a great heal was 10 seconds (12.25 seconds from start to spell gem refresh, barring interrupts- ahh, the clockwork of the rotation), powerful nukes had an 8 second cast time, and slow and steady won the race.
    If the level 100 is the hare, and a level 60 or 65 raid are the tortoise, the only way the tortoise will win is like the fable- if the hare decides to take a nap.
    Thrillho and Potawatomi like this.
  11. Gragas Augur

Can I has Wild Rampage that can one round everyone? If so, sign me up so I can run at the healers, wild ramp and kill everyone.
  12. shiftie Augur

I got raided by about 10 people in the arena at lvl 90 and they were in the 80s. It didn't go well for them at all, and they were chain rezzing. I stayed at 100% mana for the duration. When a player can blink around a zone using things like leap of faith etc it would be rather difficult for melee to chase them down at which point you just divide and conquer and chase down the sheep for the slaughter.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  13. Thrillho Augur

It depends on your class. You're right about the rogue - a group of rangers with a bard could just kite forever without the worry about getting hit. But fight a class that can heal itself and you're in another ballpark. A monk, for example. A group of lvl 60 or 70 rangers can't possibly keep up with my 30 second mend. And I'll be able to chase any of them down easily - Neshika's Blink would help me gain a lot of ground, as well as Moving Mountains. Other classes get similar abilities.

Would be neat to see a rogue in that fight though - they could just SoS and go hide behind a gaggle of clerics...
  14. Ronak Augur

I'd just hate step away and gate. Take that, PoP-era raid force.
    Thrillho likes this.
  15. Elenwyyi Augur

So to all those people who say there's no interest in EQ PvP, this is page 4 by my count.

And some of you need to xfer pvp alts to Zek, right now. This is non-negotiable. Sorry. It's out of my hands.
  16. Angahran Augur

slight side-rail.
    They should bring back the option of logging in to a random mob, can't remember what it was, and it wasn't around long. but i could see it being fun.
  17. Mykaylla Augur

Project M.
  18. Diptera Augur

Was a lot of fun, but it was pretty limiting from what I remember - pretty sure you couldn't zone, and chat/emotes were restricted. On the plus side, running around as king of the newbie gardens was fun :)
  19. Enizen Elder

Please let me log in as the Necro in CH raid
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I do agree casters would have a tough time with fighting a raid but a wizard with Incinerating Beam and some dps aa's popped would destroy everything in sight.

Andarriel