You almost got it right this time

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tweadle, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Arrk Augur

You want to deter boxing? Just disable the /follow command on the server... it will make life hell for most boxers....
  2. TheInquisitor Old Timer

That's an interesting idea about a specialized no krono / no all- access payment model. I'd pay extra too with just regular sub model. Perhaps use of the store could help with the finances. I think not having a store would be even more interesting, personally.

Yeah, sadly the farmers would black market on other servers for items camped. That of course depends on how busy or popular the new server was; what era it launches at and in demand things were. A very small population perhaps would not likely not have a ton of farmers. Not saying a server like this is viable. Just conjecture.

As far as multi-boxing and making it a 0 box server they could make it difficult with one simple command change just for that server. It'd be a sacrifice for all players on that server but not a big one - just get rid of / follow for players. As an ex boxer that would put a nail in it. That would allow all family members to play together / students etc without affecting crude IP bans or take up valuable GM time. As far as [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and automation - if player run servers can detect and ban it so can DB. Even easier - making use of the player population to report any automated movement and simply report the group. They are easy to spot with no /follow enabled.

To the OP - way back in 2001 on FV server we were allowed only one character per active account. Of course no boxing much existed back then and the server was phenomenal. Talk about social - for the heroes and villains amongst us people got to know one another and actions counted. (Ninja looters/ train experts / bad pullers etc) Throw in item loss from unrecovered corpses / or just corpse runs that took time and help from other player classes on your server is something long gone. At least, the one active character per account could be a possibilty for your idea too. Just sayin'. We know it all ain't happening as the krono farmers have a choke hold on Daybreak but it was nice to dream.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

This would only be a minor speed bump as a lot of boxers will stay static in one spot. Sure moving there might be more difficult but if you add a wizard or druid to the mix with a mage for coth and this really becomes trivial once the mage gets coth. Hell half the time I am to lazy to even have my toons follow in zones like POK and just use coth and that's in a non combat zone. These silly changes only take up developer time and the end result will be the same which is people boxing and people complaining about people boxing.
  4. Machentoo Augur

The ones you want to deter are not using /follow. This only deters the legit boxers.
    Raltar likes this.
  5. C3lowz Augur

GM support is there, just a minor fraction of its former self. Honestly I like the way boxing is now. What else could they do to forcefully limit only 1 account per human? Verification process for multiple IP addresses like P99 does? Seems like something that would take up time well spent on something else.

What I'd like to see tho is more strict rules on Krono for a new server. I understand Kronos are probably one of the, if not THE most income DBG gets from EQ1. So with that I wouldn't want them to completely prohibit it on a new server, but instead make it so only new Kronos purchased after that server's release will be active there.
  6. Machentoo Augur

How?

WTT 30 krono on live for a cotf here...

Either krono have value, or they do not. Period. Half the purpose of krono was to avoid DBG having to police scams resulting from trades such as the above.
  7. Overcast451 Augur

I played on p99 a while - kinda liked it, although I didn't care for the concept that if I did something wrong in the eyes of a GM on there, I could be perma-banned with no chance to tell my side of the story. Of course, that wasn't ever really an issue.

It was fun - until Rogean's guild trained our mid-level group without thought or even an offer to rez any of us. They knew it too. But I'm far happier on the legit TLP servers anyway, so I'm glad for that.

Yeah, the Krono farmers and such do annoy me - of course, I just make it a point to buy Kronos from DBG directly. But also if one is going to third party sites and buying Kronos from these same farmers - then that person is just as guilty.. giving them a reason to farm crap. Only reason they do it, is to squeeze out a McDonald's like income from gear in EQ, hehe

But yeah - DBG is making money from each account normal players and Krono-fiends account as well, so I wouldn't expect any real action from them. Although, I have seen GM's take action when I've reported a few things here and there.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Who wants to deter boxing? Certainly no one at DBG.
  9. Ethereal Augur

LOL
  10. Ethereal Augur

All truebox code did was further the divide between normal players and RMTers.