Yet another classic EQ server thread, but not really

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by HHHMMMMM, Feb 9, 2015.

1. HHHMMMMM Journeyman

So, a lot of people say we need a classic server...we need a classic server.....we need a classic server...ok we get the point. BUT, do we really want a classic server or, do we dream of the days of classic when you logged on, started in /ooc asking for a group, found a group, looked for a place to exp and had to look around a bit because places were already occupied?

I don't think that adding classic servers will increase fun or increase player base by significant amounts. I think what people want is other people to play with, that was "classic".....

I for one will never forget the fun of joining a group and going to orc hill in Gfay and finding another group or two and finding a way to share the camp, or running through CB until you could find a camp because there were People...lots of People to play with, going to Oasis and hanging out on the beach killing crocs and there being several groups along the beach, sitting at the spires in S. Karana with your group and one of the spires were for your group...we could go on and on, and when Kunark opened the increase in area but still busy everywhere.....we need People not classic

For the record, I am the minority I know, but hey whatever.....I liked the grind of the old exp way back when, you made some good friends along the way, because you took some time to get through things, armor was not defiant, I think this was a downfall, I did not mind the curse of death, loss of exp and having to get a necro to get your corpse in some instances, I did not mind waiting on the boats.....the game was real in classic, well at least more real

So what we really need is less servers, yeah cuss me out, tell me I am an idiot or whatever, we need population and we need it now, I bet there would be more subs if there was better population. If they want to do something different with classic mac version style servers or whatever thats up to the new Daybreak Gaming.......but......

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE AND GROUPING!

So there you have it...classic!
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Plenty of people would like a "classic" server.

The popularity of EQ Mac before its demise, progression servers (at the start of the cycle), and the success of The Server That Shall Not Be Named all demonstrate this. The issue is that "Classic" is a nebulous concept and many people have different ideas about what that entails. Some people want up to Kunark, or Velious, or Luclin, or even PoP. Some want the addition of newer features like OOC (TSS), Maps/Mounts (LoY), or HoTT (GoD). Some want old bugs/exploits back that have been fixed.

And then there are technical limitations:

They can't undo changes like damage/ac tables or EXP requirements because they tied in to normal servers.
    They can't undo revamped zones (R.I.P old Bazaar :( ).
    They can't undo spell system changes / reverting the Stamina-Endurance changes (I'm not 100% sure on that last one, but I don't think they can anyway).
    etc.

So the question becomes, what version of "Classic" do they make? Will that specific version of "Classic" be acceptable to enough people for the server to be viable or will the people asking for a "Classic" server say "This isn't what *I* wanted" and refuse to play there making it a waste of money?

I personally prefer having two servers [they seem to like doing them in pairs] one of which is locked at Velious, and the other locked at PoP. They'd start out like the Time-Locked servers, they would just stop at those respective expansions.

I go for Velious because Kunark and Velious are most closely related to original EQ as they were designed prior to release but were added later. PoP as the second server because PoP is my favorite expansion and for those that want the increased raiding aspect.