Yes, another box thread...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Matari, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Numiko Augur

Well Haze + Twincast Aura + amplify aura + Druids Aura = instant death for mobs..sometimes! They don't always go off at the same time, but when they do it is impressive :)

even my merc. wizard loves it!
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. segap Augur

I hope you're either fairly low level or that macro example is overly simplified. Using macros like that will get you no more than maybe 1/3 the dps potential of a boxed mage.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Numiko Augur

for my macros i have several set for each character. plus i like to use the hot key bar to activate AA effects if needed.

The macro's themselves are just to cast 5 different Dots or nukes.

I pull mostly with my druid, starting with harmony on any mobs near (I find the druid version much more reliable then the Enchanters) and pull with snare so the mobs walk into camp.

Hot key one is the AA ensnare, hot key two is AA Ro. Hot key 3 is 5 Nukes or Dots. i change them depending on what i'm fighting I also have a second macro Hot key for just nukes for when i'm fighting boss's so I can still add more DPS while letting the DoT's run.

Enchanter has Pet attack on first key, AE tash on the second hot key, then a macro with Slow (hey I'm old school and slow everything!) and debuff DoTs and nukes, she also had a backup macro of just nukes for longer fights.

Necro has a Pet Attack then a macro of fast Dots, and a second macro of longer lasting Dots on a second hotkey for longer fights.

Mage has Pet Attack Hot key on one, and then two banks of nuke hotkeys that rotate different nukes and swarm pets.

I know it sounds like a lot of hitting hotkeys, but it really is fast once you get finger memory to Alt+Tab and hit 1, 2 (and sometimes) 3. I can usually get all 4 characters macro's fired off before the mob hits 90%.

I'm sure if would be even faster if I used something like ISO, but that is just the way I like to roll.
  4. Ultrazen Augur

So...out of that entire post I made, this is what you took away from it? You might notice the (for example) before the macro that I just made up to ...you know..give an example? That being said, you could level to 95 with nothing but that macro on a mage with a nuke in that spot, because grinding mobs in this game is so difficult that you need to min/max every pull right?

Writing macros is incredibly specific to what level the character is and what you have slotted, why would I bother to go in and try to give some super detailed instructions on a very particular macro. Macros are something that people need to explore for themselves, and are well beyond the scope of what this thread was about, not to mention that you could easily start an entire forum for nothing but the finer points of macros.
  5. segap Augur

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing if that's how you like to play. I'm more of the frame of mind that I need to know the classes I play (boxed or not) and figure out how to best utilize them. Otherwise, you're just adding two boxes for utility and as merc hosts to supplement your main.

If you're trying to be helpful to someone, giving such incomplete information really isn't helpful. Yes, you can level to 105 with such a macro. You could do so much faster with a little more sophistication, yet keep it very simple. Breaking out the mage to two macros (assist/setup + nuke) for example allows you to always have VT up when it's available. You can use an assist macro to assist, pet attack, trigger VT, trigger banestrike, trigger one of the longer term, faster refresh crit multiplier AA, keep twincast up as much as possible, etc. Then have situational nuke macros. For longer fights, have one that starts off with RS. For shorter fights or when finishing off high hp mobs, one that does not use RS. Then split the macros for when you can take advantage or rains and for when you need to use single target only. For cotf and below, you'll be using one assist macro and one short nuke macro per fight. For TDS, you'd be using a few macros and likely want an audio trigger to know when to go and hit the next. If you want to manage things a bit more, you'd find ways to keep AA boosts up more frequently. If you're utilizing your mage correctly, you'll be burning through mana and need to also pay attention to using your harvest spell and mana reserve aa.

You were also very insistent that all boxing takes is 1 macro press per kill. You've even repeated that in at least one other thread. That tells me this is more than a simplified example (only simplified in that you're not naming spells used and your pause isn't precise).

Best advice I can give is to play each class you want to box as your primary focus (either grouped or boxed) and then figure out how you can take 80% of what you do and turn it in to 2-3 macros. Boxed will never be as well played as if you're single playing, but you can get a good chunk of it automated through macros. As you're leveling up, you'll want to revisit every 5 levels or so as you get new AA.
  6. TheQxx Augur

Do it like this.

7. Ravengloome Augur

Is there another way?