Yelinak unspoken rule question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zedd, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Shemak Journeyman

Thats only your opinion, there s a lot of people who really only enjoy the first xpac of EQ
  2. Midnitewolf Augur

This is what I ran into a lot. If you spoke up about needing something, there was a fair chance the party would give it to you and this included some very valuable stuff, but you had to ask without expecting it to automatically be given to you. Also sometimes the party would be split with some willing to give you the upgrade and some not and if you got unlucky and someone won who didn't want to give it up, well you just had to graciously accept that they won the roll.

In the last 8 weeks and coming from the perspective of someone who leaned heavily into "Need Before Greed" side of things, I have found that the "Roll Need on Everything" has honestly worked in my favor. For example, I got tons of Loam drops while playing my Shaman, enough to outfit my Necro (who hardly won any loam drops when he was in the Hole), and partially outfit 2 more caster alts of mine. Additionally the Smoldering Brand my Shaman is using, along with several pieces of gear equipped on it was won by my Necro. When I consider what the outcome would have been had the rolls been NBG, I have no doubt I would be less well geared. Further, even if I had only been playing one character the sell value of the gear I got that I couldn't have used, would have provided plenty of plat to buy gear I would actually use, again more than I would have gotten if the roll would have been NBG.

Overall I get why people want NBG because it totally sucks to see something you really, really want and need fall into the hands of someone who can't even use it. It is a horrible feeling to be honest, but there are so many benefits to everyone in the party getting an equal chance at loot regardless of who can and will use the items, that you just have to accept it is actually the best way of doing things. Lastly, if you really take a hard look at it, aside from a few edge cases involving really rare items, you will find from a plat value standpoint, it does generally all equal out in the end. In the long run your not getting screwed because the caster got that FBSS you wanted because you looted the SRM he really wanted. You both will just sell what you got and then you will turn around and buy the FBSS and he will buy the SRM and everyone is happy.
  3. Risiko Augur

I did not read the whole post nor the thread because "too many words". Sorry for that.

That being said, just to give some clarity to why this unspoken rule started, here is the brief history.

On a TLP long ago (don't recall which one), everybody was doing Need Before Greed. People very quickly noticed a pattern. The person who would win said item (like FBSS) would be back in another group the next day and win the same item again.

Long story short, people were winning based on NEED, selling the item, and coming back to do it again.

Very quickly, the server switched to ALL NEED from then on out, and every TLP server since then has been that way.

TLDR; bad people forced good people to use ALL NEED.
    Aeonblade likes this.
  4. TLP Addict Augur

Yeah Phinny we'd have casters all demanding NBG on the loam drops, then after the group broke up they'd be in the commons tunnel auctioning all the loam they had looted.

Blame these types of people for why pug groups no longer care about or believe that you actually "need" that upgrade.
  5. Midnitewolf Augur

Yeah this is another reason why I converted from thinking the NBG rule was the best way to do things. There are just so many ways to abuse it.

Also if you think about it any items, if an item can be sold, can be converted into the gear someone needs. A tank getting loam drops is going to sell the loam for tank items it needs, same with the caster getting a SSoY, it will like buy something the caster needs. That is why I say is all works out in the end.

My one misgiving with the Need All thing is that RNG can be very unfair. That being the case, I wish the autoloot tool had an option to round robin drops instead of rolling 1000. I have been in some parties where I literally got nothing while watching items I could and would use, all go to another class over and over. I was in one party on my Necro where literally 5 out of 6 drops all went to the tank and the 6th went to I think it was a monk. Me and the other 3 players in the group got nothing of significance.
  6. Laronk Augur

But you can trade those items for the item you really need =)