Yelinak unspoken rule question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zedd, Jun 11, 2022.

1. error Augur

I mean, if an item can be traded, then it can be traded for something you do need, so... If you want different loot rules, then just be clear about them when the group is formed? If nobody says anything, then assume it's need on all otherwise you're just giving loot away to the people who do need on everything.

Besides, unless you're manually rolling stuff out with /roll there's always that one guy who is going to hit need regardless, just having everybody always hit need eliminates the inevitable drama.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  2. Gheed Is not reading your response

If you don't want to need on everything then don't do it. Just be aware you will get nothing because the common practice is to need on everything. This is not any sort of "unspoken rule".. It is widely known and very agreed upon.

People need on everything except no-drop because if you don't there is always a chance of someone clicking need that actually wants to sell it. By everybody needing it actually becomes VERY fair as there is no chance of someone sniping an item from the group without everybody having their fair shot.

I say if you are very against this then click need anyways and try to help your caster pals get their gear. Keep in mind they also might just sell it in the tunnel after saying they will wear it :D
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

I mostly agree with this, however it is "unspoken" because the re-rollers all know, so if this is your first TLP I can see where the confusion would come from.

But yeah OP, just need on all and do whatever you want with what you win, sell it, wear it or give it to your rando group mates.
  4. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

When I wanted to do NBG groups I just did groups with friends and guildies, and directly awarded gear to whoever wanted/needed it via the loot tool.

In pickup groups its just roll and pray generally.
  5. Arclyte Augur

hey guys i really need this Tstaff its an upgrade
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  6. Midnitewolf Augur

Unfortunately yes. Honestly I played on two other TLPs and I don't remember it being "All Need", sometimes yes but most of time, at least with the groups I was in, it was NBG. On Yelinak I have only had one group that was NBG. It was Hamlord in LGuy, we popped 3 SSoYs which as a caster I passed on, and 1 SMR which I actually won and still use today because just the casters rolled on. Biggest take away from that group was we all walked away extremely happy.

Fast forward to my caster in the Hole. Was really looking forward to replacing my cloth armor that was from a 2nd level Decaying Skeleton with some loam. Even had 14 loam pieces drop while I was out there.....only managed to score one piece because it was Greed before Need. In one group the damn tank actually got 5 pieces, the monk got another and zero pieces went to the caster in the group. I joking played off my frustration and the tank joked back that, "HaHa, I have almost a full set" Meanwhile I am raiding, mostly in cloth dropped from a 2nd Level Decaying Skeleton, watching all my upgrades going to someone who is just going to turn around and sell the drops back to me.

Note: I get the argument that it isn't actually a greed situation because the tank can sell the drops and buy something he needs, but it is bitter as hell watching all the drops you actually need, drops you specifically are going to that zone to get to get to outfit your character, going to everyone but those that actually need them.

The sad part about it is after this experience, my attitude is "F'em" and now when I go to the Hole I take every piece of loam I have acquired off just in case that piece drops again, since Loam is lore. Pretty damn sad that I can't even wear my upgrades because I can't miss the opportunity to get a second set of Loam of Sleeves that I can sell in order to buy a Loam Cap which I should already be wearing since one has dropped 5 times already in groups I have been in.
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It seems you had a different issue and the tank should have stopped rolling on every item after they won one until everyone else did as well. If you are in a group that doesn't change while 14 loam pieces drop I would expect everyone to have won 2 pieces and with the last two going to someone who would have won 3 pieces. There is a difference between winning items to sell and winning a large number of items while others win nothing.
    Stymie and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  8. Wordlethedruid New Member

The groups where everyone rolls need are the norm, but the groups where people actually pass on loot that would help another groupie, are the groups that keep me coming back.

They are out there, not the norm but they are. I've been in a couple so far, us as others have mentioned, guild groups and groups made off your buddies list will usually run on need > greed
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Win roll get item, what you do with it is your business. Your 'need" doesn't outweigh the roll to win ruleset. Just beacause it's useable by a class in group, doen't grant them hyper rights to it.

Aside from that, guild and friend groups aren't like that. public groups are. Selling an off archetype piece to BUY a useable slot item is a valid tactic and shouldn't be denied.
  10. Zendien New Member

I think all but one of the groups i've been in have been need all. I don't mind either way and if someone wants to do a specific loot rule they can always form the group themselves and make the rules clear before start. But as someone else mentioned earlier; Random groups almost always do Need all and guild groups are the exact opposite

One small pet peeve I have tho. People mentioning that they should get an item because their slot is empty or that it's a bigger upgrade for them. I say give it to the guy that's it's the smallest upgrade for, since that person most likely took the time to get some actual gear!
    Obviously, this doesn't apply to a low level group :)
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because someone has spent more time on gear that makes them more deserving of other items?
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Since 1999, if I'm in some greedy fathead's group who does this, I leave the group. Like the ones who give all gems to themselves "I'm working on JC", well foo, so am I.

I had a guildleader in "EK" once who would "accidentally" drop competitors for his class upgrades from raid mid bidding during Underfoot because he knew the guild was getting beaten by the content and he wanted the best for himself before bailing. Me calling him out on it in guild web was the final straw for a lot of players who saw this going on. He quit 2 weeks later. I reguilded to Inverse Logic and never looked back.
  13. Midnitewolf Augur

First, the 14 pieces were with multiple groups. The group I described was one when 6 total pieces dropped and 5 went to one person at random. I mean it isn't like the others of the group weren't winning rolls, I mean I got a couple of gems that day, that netted me about 100pp and of course the normal junk vendor loot everyone gets. Of course, I can't wear the gems and 100p, if your lucky, might buy you a Loam Belt which is crap. It sure isn't enough for a 300-400pp Loam, Cap, Sleeves, Gloves or Legs and way, way far away from the 1kr+ cost on a Loam robe. It just sucks watching stuff I literally need and can and will use, go to a tank when I am there specifically for Loam drops.

Second we are taking about the unspoken rule where every one just rolls need. The scenario you describe is close to "Need before Greed" because your expectation are that everyone in the PUG is going to be fair and pass on items after they win a couple to ensure everyone gets 1 or 2 items each. That doesn't happen very often if at all, not outside of a friends only group. Need groups are just that, Need all and pray to RNGesus you get lucky. That is what 90% of groups are and what the OP is taking about.

On the other hand, I am 100% sure that eventually things will come back around and I will win drops that would be a critical need for another class and I too can head to the EC tunnel to bank my gains. I mean that is the argument people make when the NBG conversation comes up. I am just saying I don't know if that is a good thing. The game is supposed to be fun. I guess it was very fun for the tank to get nearly 2000p worth of Loam he could sell but not so much for me. On the other side, if 2000p of tank gear went to me, I am sure he would be just as frustrated. That being the case, I can't help but feel NBG is the better option. People get the gear they need for their characters and if something drops that isn't needed or usable by your class, you already know its not for you, so you don't get all disappointed, frustrated and discouraged when it goes to the class it is supposed to.
  14. Zendien New Member

Read what you quoted :p
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

5 of 6 items versus 5 of 14 items makes it worse, my point about one person winning most or all of the drops is still valid. If you are in a group that isn't changing you should not be winning all the items and leaving the rest of the group with nothing.
  16. Cicelee Augur

Pick up groups should always be greed before need (or have everyone put in need on advanced loot). Guild and friend groups are more need before greed for obvious reasons.

Having said that, I also think that loot should be distributed at the end of the group session so that everyone can get something. Or during the group session but spread it out so that if Joe wins the first item, he cannot get another piece until the other five get something and then it resets. Of course if the last person to win gets the 20 krono item and the first five get a 3 krono item, then there might be some resentment. But again that is why you wait till the end, but I digress. The point is... everyone should walk away from a group with something. If 14 items drop, then four members get two items and two group members get three.

But that is just me...
  17. thechacko Elder

I think for pub groups, yeah...

If its a guild group, I would expect the standard to be different because you're investing time in each other for future help.
  18. R3dCr4y0n New Member

As much as your arguments kinda make sense, they all revolve around gearing up/getting money ASAP and screw everyone else... Doesn't that kinda fly in the face of TLP servers? I thought the idea was to enjoy the game as it once was. not rush to the end again... and again etc
  19. MileyVyrus Elder

This thread could be stickied and renamed "Why people box instead of treasuring your opinion"
  20. Arclyte Augur

your inability to communicate and behave like a normal human being is irrelevant

go play baldurs gate 3 if you hate other players so much