WTB Evict Option for Guild Neighborhoods

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allayna, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

For those of you able to write long winded diatribes but not read the thread.

TLDR? (shortened and bolded for emphasis)

{more detail if you care to read}

Again I point out. Doesn't matter what the current state is. You're asking them to change something.

They will never take effort (spend money) to create a button that will cause them to have to spend money on customer support headaches.

It's obvious people asking for this feel they deserve some service after paying real world dollars. But whether it's a 'design flaw' or not is moot. You set up that neighborhood under the current code, you and everyone that purchased a plot are bound by the system the way it was when you bought it.

And I'm betting, you'll be happier when you realize they aren't going to make that button, and it's not because they don't care about you. It's just a business thing.
    Tornicade_IV likes this.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Guild leaders should be able to evict people who aren't members of the guild. When they do, it should auto-save the layout and parcel the stuff to the player. Why is this so controversial? If the guild leader can remove you from the guild then the precedent is there for them being able to remove you from guild property.

This way the guild gets what they want and the player loses nothing. And before you say "the guild leader doesn't decide what the guild wants," yes they ducking do. That's why they get the shiny title and all the responsibility.
    Caell and Felicite like this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

"Should be" and "precedent is there" are not the manifest reality, they are the hopes of something being changed.

The writ does not explain the simple, manifest fact, that to control the 'ownership' of a plot you must put money into escrow first. Which has always been an option open to everyone. I know it sounds crazy, buy up all the plots. But that is, however poorly designed, the way in which you have always been able to completely control a plot.

To allow a member of your guild to become the first 'owner' of a plot, is to allow control to a living breathing character whose status and real world circumstances may change, but they will always be the first owner of that plot.

I'm really sorry you guys paid real world dollars for the writ and are now in this situation. But seriously, do you honestly see them creating an 'Evict Button', which kicks people out after the fact of them having bought into a system that never lead them to believe they could be evicted, no matter what circumstances changed for them.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Refund the escrow too then. The player loses nothing. Yes, I see them allowing Guild Leaders to have control over anything owned by the guild. It's absolutely amazing to me that people think Guild Leaders are just Guild Figure Heads when it comes to the housing system. The guild owns the neighborhood and the Guild Leader runs the guild. So just hypothetically, who WOULD have access to evict someone if the Guild Leader didn't? And why is eviction such a big deal. Buy a neighborhood, unpack parcel, repeat saved layout, go on with your life.
    Caell likes this.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I totally get your point but NO.

Allowing this change is changing the rules after the fact to someone who, in good faith, paid into the system, as it manifestly existed when they paid into it.

Not changing a single thing is acknowledging that, even though a guild leader/ guild "should" have control over everything, you paid into a system and then allowed people to use it and that system existed with it's flaws you needed to be aware of at time of purchase. I.E. Buyer beware, it was broken when you bought it.

I keep trying to point out, it's not personal, but there will be no 'Evict Button'.

If you guild leaders care to get real, and actually ask for something that could be done. Suck it up and ask for the option for you to pack up the guild stuff and move your neighborhood. And this should certainly be free of charge to you the person who paid for the writ. Maybe they change the name completely or append (old) to the name of the neighborhood, but the plots stay until all are evicted just like any other neighborhood, just like each plot owner agreed to when they paid into the system.

Just sayin'
  6. Tolzol Augur

Have you asked any of them to move their houses? I can’t imagine any of them being petty enough to purposely leave their crap there if it’s an issue. Granted if you come on forums putting people on blast they might. I can see that being something easily forgotten about. I pulled mine before i even left though /shrug
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I get what you are trying to say, and I agree with the concept in certain cases. In terms of griefers or PvP players I think the concept makes sense to prevent one player from doing something to another player that could make them quit. But I still fail to see how there is any real downside to having this button. Yes, they paid to rent a plot, but it's a plot in a neighborhood owned by a guild. The guild always should have had this control, it just wasn't as big of a deal early on, so not as visible of an issue.

Lots of things change in EQ, sometimes things they said would never change. I don't think plot rental is some Holy Grail of EQ that they care to protect. If a player comes back after 10 years to find their plot gone but nothing else lost, are they really going to complain? Well, probably, these are the EQ forums afterall. But will they have a good reason to complain? No.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

There is no downside to the button itself per se.

The downside is it takes coding time = $ and time taken away from something + every button click is the chance someone gets upset about being evicted = $ for customer support.

Company thinks Small Subset of GLs happy vs. $ already spent + unknown $ in support

You make that calculation. And compare to.

DBG casts Shield of Caveat Emptor rk. III and goes AFK
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think this falls solidly under Quality of Life Improvements, which they have shown some interest in lately. If there is one thing EQ has an abundance of it's old guilds that have been around forever. Yes there is a risk of some CS being needed over the change, but it would mostly be a single response explaining that Guilds own their neighborhoods and can evict non-members, but that all the items are waiting for them in a parcel.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Fair enough good sir person. Niskin.

And here's to you all getting your wish, dilly dilly!
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Speaking only for myself, i didn't miss that - i took it for granted.
    But i WAS thinking a bit ahead before i posted, and find that the possiblities for grief are there, and strengthened
    I sympathize with the goal, but i can't find an "ok" method to achieve it - that's all.

On my server, we've HAD occurrences where a disgruntled guild leader (presumably faced with an "uprising" by the rest of the guild) disbanded the whole guild and it had to reform under a similar name, because he simply refuse to pass on leadership of "his baby".
    When you're faced with that kind of character (and it's human nature, so noone can guarantee it not happening in your guild too at some time) any tool for added grief CAN be bad.
    The question is: does the potential gain outweigh the risks?
    MY personal answer to that is "no".

I would HOPE that these 15people aren't trying to grief anyone.
    Talking to them is often the better alternative to asking for some tools for a specific purpose?
    And if that talk's outcome is negative, then you have something to petition with. imo.
  12. Eanelder Augur

When you buy an item from the marketplace you purchase for the use of the item, not the indefinite access of the item ( a lesson learned from Legends of Norrath). If I spend a fortune on Marketplace items today, and the game shuts down tomorrow, there will no recourse for me ... I'm positive that I'm not getting that money back. Currency was exchanged, I acquired the items, there was no guarantee on the length of the use of those items.

If I purchase and use a Guild Writ for the guild I'm in today, and get I removed tomorrow (or the guild has a meltdown and disbands) there should be no recourse either. I got exactly what I paid for, an additional zone for the guild I was in when I activated it. Its not ideal but that's the way it is, and its the foundation for micro-transactions.

I've also purchased marketplace items that have changed after the fact. Usually its a correction like the item skin was changed/improved, the scaling/sizing was altered, the qty of items included in the purchase price updated. IMO, an Eviction option is similar, a correction or change being made (hopefully for the better). To say it cannot / will never happen is a misnomer.

BTW ... if you get removed / leave a guild any items YOU placed in the guild hall remain AND you lose access to those items. Guild leadership does however have the option to use "Mail to Owner" to clear those items ... i don't see why guild plots should differ.
    Caell and MasterMagnus like this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And plots can be sold between players. All these are great ideas but the bottom line is you cannot do anything with players that no longer exist - just like guild leaders that are long gone but are the only ones that have control of the guild and/or guild bank etc. You could always try a petition - you never know;)
    Allayna likes this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

This is completely false information because you can still go retrieve the items yourself.

Go stand on the plot and hit SHIFT + I. That will bring up the item interface and you will be able to collect the items YOU left behind.

So if you or someone you know has left a guild and didn't collect their stuff before hitting disband let them know how to go back and collect their stuff.
    Tornicade_IV likes this.
  15. segap Augur

After reading posts from a few people against this idea, I'm convinced. But they're not taking it far enough. I think we need rent control too. Those hapless people no longer in the guild are at risk of being homeless now that they're not part of the big krono making machine. I think the escrow needs to be taken directly from the bank of the guild leader. And to prevent guildification of any plots that do open up, I think those people not in the guild that have plots should get first right of refusal for any new openings.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

This is false.
    Guild leaders can enable any rank to have the same permissions they do. The only thing you cant do is demote an equal rank ( but you can promote to equal rank. )

If a guild I well organized and maintained it can run very smoothly without the guild leader or a guild leader at all.
    Guilds have 8 ranks they can customize permissions for
  17. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

but that has zero to do with a person in guild buys a plot, then moves to a new guild and dosent take their chit with them... /evict guildhopper_01
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My comment is 'just like guild leaders that are long gone but are the only ones that have control of the guild and/or guild bank " At what point can a guild leader who is gone enable anyone to do anything or change anyone's rank? Yes everyone knows you can assign leader positions BEFORE the leader is gone out of the game. This thread started about players no longer in the game and how to deal with that guild wise.
  19. Arcos Lorekeeper

Why does everyone continue to act as though the only way to fix the problem is a magic guild leader button to evict people. They used to close out plots and mail the items if the owner had not logged on in 90 days. They stopped because of all the snowflake whining about getting evicted because it was too hard to actually log alts in once every 3 months.

So they do not need players to be the managers. Why not just check once a month and if the character that owns a plot has been deleted or transfered that ownership ends. If they were too lazy to pack up and do something with their items they poof. Guild or normal housing both - if you are no longer on a server you cannot own items on it.

Whine all you want about it but I defy anyone here to make a valid case why a character that is gone has a right to grief the ones who still are playing.

Arcos
    Caell and Allayna like this.
  20. Eanelder Augur

I stand corrected! When I started helping out with guild housing I had to "Mail To Owner" a bunch of Anchors from members who were no longer in the guild. I had assumed the only reason someone would have left something like that behind was because they were unable to pull it out themselves.

But even with my error, the point still remains the same.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.