WTB - an idiots guide to fixing spell icons

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Buff icons are fine, spell icons are blank!

Had them sorted on test, inital problems was wrong spell icons, but got that sorted. But live ones are now blank so patch is different to test.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP !
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  2. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

It's likely a graphics error. They changed the stacking order when displaying them. You'll need to edit the graphics for your spell gem slots, so that the center of them is transparent. That should fix the issue.

[IMG]

This is the changes that were made on AYA, as an example.
  3. Khat_Nip Meow

Does that apply to the following?:
    [IMG]
    I took a cursory glance at my EQUI_CastSpellWnd.xml and trying to figure out a way to get the post-patch spellbar to mirror the pre-patch one.

Edit to add: When I temporarily remove the bolded below example and reload the UI, both the icon and spellname text show but obviously has a blank background though I wish to preserve those colored backgrounds. :-/

<SpellGem item="CSPW_Spell0">
    <ScreenID>CSPW_Spell0</ScreenID>
    <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
    <Location>
    <X>0</X>
    <Y>0</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
    <CX>170</CX>
    <CY>25</CY>
    </Size>
    <SpellGemDrawTemplate>
    <Holder>A_BtnPressed</Holder>
    <Background>A_BtnFlyby</Background>
    <Highlight>A_SpellGemHighlight</Highlight>
    </SpellGemDrawTemplate>
    <SpellIconOffsetX>0</SpellIconOffsetX>
    <SpellIconOffsetY>0</SpellIconOffsetY>
    </SpellGem>

I guess the only option in this case is to reduce the Normal/Faded Alpha levels but that unfortunately fades the entire thing accordingly. (Unless there's some way to have the beginning point of the 'background' start just right of the icons).
  4. segap Augur

Khat_Nip likes this.
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

Thanks, segap. I'll mess around with it after raids.
  6. segap Augur

Here's what I've done that seems to be getting me close (just need to work on editing the background better).

1) Find the TextureInfo window_pieces11.tga section in EQUI_Animations.xml
    2) Copy the section immediately below and name the item something like window_pieces99.tga
    3) Find the Ui2DAnimation section for A_BtnFlyBy in EQUI_Animations.xml
    4) Copy that section immediately below and name the item something like A_SpellGemWide
    5) Copy window_pieces03.tga to window_pieces99.tga
    6) Use a graphics editor that works with tga files to edit window_pieces99.tga (I'm using paint.net)
    7) Locate the bar that starts at 0,24 (it's the second on the left side) and cut a hole where you think your spell gem icon belongs. This step will take some tweaking.
    8) Change the all the <Background>A_BtnFlyby</Background> entries in EQUI_CastSpellWnd.xml from A_BtnFlyBy to A_SpellGemWide

What this does is clone the resource that was previously being used and allow you to edit the section within without also impacting any other ui element that also uses that resource.

This applies to the several themes that use the spell window like what Khat_Nip posted above. Other themes not using the default style should be able to be edited similarly, but you'll need to find the appropriate tga file and labels and change the above names and location values from the xml.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That's the exact problem I have!

The other half has played with it but now I have horrid grey texture next to the spell icons instead of the colour I had before, the whole button is no longer clickable just the icon itself and the name of the spell overlaps onto the spell icon. It works but doesn't look as good as it did before.

GRRRR
  8. Ghubuk Augur

I had to check out this post to see who the best "idiot' was to put up a guide.....:p
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not sure if I'm an idiot or just useless! :p

I hate change!
    Ghubuk likes this.
  10. Zaph Augur

This is something I did consider before the temporary fix which I did, but as EQUI_Animations.xml gets played about with so much every time a UI element is patched, it would break the changes way too often.

Ild like to know what/why "A_BtnFlyby" got nuked
  11. Mortisand New Member

I had to made only a minor change to get my spell gems looking okay again, following info from Dzarn's post ( https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...tes-and-discussion.249806/page-7#post-3675154 ) .

I used G.I.M.P. to edit window_pieces02.tga , which contains the spell gem icons in the bottom right corner, which have a transparent hole in the middle, to let the underlaying spell icon show through.

My ui doesn't have a custom version of this file, so I copied the default version into my UI folder, then edited the (white) spell gem icon to increase the size of the transparent area in the middle, as the default wasn't big enough to see enough of the spell icon.
    Yinla and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  12. segap Augur

I was not happy having to add that file to the custom skin. It does tend to change a lot and will be an added pain to continuously patch. But modifying a graphic which is used in multiple places to insert a hole for only one of those places would be breaking elsewhere.

It didn't get nuked. They changed the layer order. Previously it was the back layer and the icon sat on top of it. Now the background is on top of the foreground icon and masks it hence needing a hole put in it.

It was a stupid change on their part. They probably believed that no ui would use anything other than the spell gem background as a background for spell gems. The use of BtnFlyby was a creative use of a different graphic resource to provide a unique layout. One that is useful, especially with many spells sharing icons (oddly something which this patch was trying to help resolve in the future).
  13. Khat_Nip Meow

Got mine back to working correctly post-patch.
    The only thing I did was load up window_pieces03.tga (from /uifiles/default) in paint.net, made the area to the right of the arrow (that shows as black in the pic) transparent, saved it to my custom ui directory, and reloaded my UI.
    [IMG]
    Metanis, Fanra and Yinla like this.
  14. Zaph Augur

Khat_Nip, You just made someones wizard very happy, I thought there would be a simple solution like this, I just couldnt locate the correct box that "A_BtnFlyby" used.

Normality has been resumed.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

:D
    Thanks guys :)
    Mortisand likes this.