Would you rather

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bullsnooze, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Bullsnooze Augur

Scenario: 2 players with 2 boxes each
    Desired Content: Group and Raid
    Era: Classic to Current

Would you rather go with
    1. Warrior*, Bard, Monk*, Shaman
    2. Warrior*, Cleric, Bard*, Wizard
    3. Warrior*, Cleric, Bard*, Druid
    Thoughts or suggestions?

If you pick one of my three, could you please explain why? :)
  2. Machen New Member

If those are your only options, I'd go with #1. Much more sustained dps and better synergy across all eras than your other options. #2 would be a distant second, I wouldn't even consider #3.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  3. Court Elder

4. Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter, Monk

With that set-up you cover all the group basics and you can fill in whatever extra dps/support classes you want.
  4. Zansobar Augur

I'm trying to understand why the most OP class in the game for many many of the first expansions is not in your group.
  5. Chuuk Augur

In order of best to worst: 1....2........................3

Group 1 will be, by a decent margin, your best DPS group, plus the bard mana/hp song goes really well with Shaman canni.

Group 2 will be pretty close to group 1 in DPS and maybe a bit more survivable with the cleric heals...but clerics don't bring enough to the table for a 4-box in my opinion.

Group 3 is a pretty insanely survivable group, but you have really no DPS classes.

Honestly for a 4-box that doesn't charm, my top group would be:

1. (Tank) - SK / PAL / RNG (rangers can tank early game stuff)
    2. (Heals) - SHM
    3. (DPS) - MNK / MAG
    4. (Utility) - ENC / BRD / DRU / WIZ - personal preference reigns here
  6. Bullsnooze Augur

Charm is honestly tiresome and we're looking for a steady group that will stand the test of time expansion wise. (We'll be playing well past PoP and want to stick to the same team throughout).

Trying to stay away from Enchanters this go around. Don't get me wrong, I love playing them... It's just I'm also of tired playing one too.

Wow, 3s that bad huh?

We left off with #1 with a SHD on Phinny and we're piloting Group #1 as described on Agnarr right now. So far so good at Lv5 lol. My concern is/was lack of rezz/escape early game, which is where group 2 was to make up for it - however Clerics only bring heals as you said. I thought about pulling in a hybrid tank, but I might Main Tank raids on the Warrior, so the idea was to build around him.

2 votes for #1. :D
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you want to do small raid farms you just need shm for slows to be the best. Shm slow pulls away from bard come gates and up to level 85 it only gets better for shm.

I'd honestly swap the monk for clr too. Dps will be less but clr just heal like no one else. But otherwise I go option 1.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

#1, dump the monk for the cleric as ^ stated.

Or go Warrior, Enc, Enc, Clr :eek: Enchanter is just too good.

Best group to date I ever had was:
    • Warrior
    • Enc
    • Enc
    • Enc
    • Enc
    • Cleric
  9. Xeris Augur

If your crew will have just 4 characters, a warrior seems pointless. An SK can tank anything that you could realistically take down with 4 chars, and anything that you can't take down, a warrior isn't pushing you over the edge on any content. I'm also assuming that all the chars will be raid geared. I don't have any experience with how strong or weak people are with group/baz gear...

I'd suggest SK, bard, monk, cleric. SK cleric combo is all you need. I think slows aren't super relevant with the type of content you'd be doing with just 4.
  10. Machen New Member

With a raid geared warrior, there is no group content in any era that needs cleric heals. And he's not going to be raiding much of anything with just his four, they will need to team up with others. For small raid content, it's easier to find dps to add than a cleric to add, but I wouldn't base the entire group around that. For group content, leveling, aaxp it would be devastating to give up the monk as their only dps, (and raid geared dps at that) for a second healer. Everything would take forever with just the war and bard as dps.
  11. Xeris Augur

Ye, I know someone who 3 boxes bot tower minis as a warrior, bard, cleric and it takes him like 6 hours to do 3 towers (not earth)... super inefficient. Also agree here that if your tank is a warrior cleric as healer isn't needed, so utility of shaman is great. For older raid content tho, (I.E. KT, etc in Velious), shaman won't be able to heal enough even with a raid geared warrior.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Pikles Journeyman

If you are staying away from Enchanters and really want a warrior in your group. I would choose one of them with the cleric. Rezzes pay off big time in the long run, and of course CH for your warrior will be important once you hit 40+ and start trying to farm tougher camps. Bard seems like a must in your set up, although you could sub this if you would like. Then your choices are Wizard/Druid after that. You are looking for ports I'm assuming, druid has much more versatility and allows you to power lvl anything you may want later? (Except on that account of course! But I would suggest both of you lvling a druid at one point to help each other with that).

So War/Cler/Bard/Druid would be my suggestion. 2 healers mean you won't die easy (this helps much more early on), druid's are solid DPS and you have snare right off the bat. This group will need 2 extra DPS to be really efficient though. And if you ever were to play separate, War/Cler and Bard/Druid aren't the worst duo's but aren't great by any means. You also have 2 trackers, which will be very nice for the long term.

The DPS is the only thing that lacks with that choice. But which your first choice would be almost twice the dps, sham/bard/monk/war. And most likely be able to do a lot of the same type of camps and clear them faster. I think this group is lacking in many situations though, once the Sham is low on mana, you have no healing backup other than Mend and heal song. And this group has 2 good pullers, how would you dice up the duo? War/Bard and Sham/Monk? One of you gets a crazy good duo and the other one loses? haha
  13. yerm Augur

I'm trying to understand the group synergy here. It appears that one person is going warrior and bard no matter what, as those two are listed all 3 times. So the question is really what to box with a buddy's warrior + bard box? Shaman and monk is the cookie cutter pick in this case, and you can substitute the monk for any physical dps class really (eg berserker is fine); you don't need the monk's utility as you have a bard so it's just dps. This war/sk, meleedps, bard, shaman crew is probably THE most common 4box.

If I have it right on the war+bard and you're making the others, AND you don't actually want to play a shaman... you need to choose a better option for a 4th to go with your cleric or druid. If you go cleric do NOT go druid also, and consider dumping that wizard for a mage or even necro (expecting dot revamp to happen before a new tlp hits where they really fall behind the other 2 casters in groups). In this case druid is the better choice; war bard druid mage is actually a really fantastic group that will give that option 1 a good run for its money and only sucks at the level 70 range.

If I have it wrong and the bard isn't a lock, consider going war + enc + cleric. This lets you do quite literally everything you want in era with the toughest content being easier when you can ae mez and/or not have your healer trying to cast malo and slow on the named first. Can put whatever dps you want as 4th here; I'd probably suggest a ranger or monk so you have an easy time pulling.
  14. Machen New Member

Yep, I agree. If he really wants to maximize everything he can possibly do, I'd level up a cleric alt on the bard account and swap the bard out for extra heals in those circumstances. War + Clr + Shm + Monk will be good to go for harder old raid content, with war+bard+shm+monk for most group stuff and easier raid content. The cleric will do just fine without max aa's in most cases. If resists are a problem on hard raid targets, either start with the bard in and swap to the cleric once malo/slow land, or add an enchanter just for a quick tash on the monk account then swap in the monk for dps. Or both.
  15. Pikles Journeyman

I do not agree with Yerm. If you go cleric, you can easily go druid also. No biggie either way from me personally, but druids bring that extra Animal charm which can really help dps in certain zones (others will try and limit this, but it can really help you if you use it to your advantage). Plus you so much utility early on, snare, heals, ds, ports, evac, str, etc.. (All by like lvl 18.. haha)

It's really up to your preference. I personally prefer 2 healers once I get my box at 4+, as it ups your ability to survive by a lot, especially considering you do not want to go enc. A druid dots/nukes are nothing to joke about. Last thing you want to do is die because your Cleric is OOM and you don't have any backup heals. Although with a cleric healer, you will go OOM less likely anyways.

I would really think about this if you both plan to duo/farm on the side without the other. If you are roommates or really close I totally understand ignoring this, but even when I've boxed with my roommates, sometimes they got home from work late, or got busy with other stuff and I had to do my own thing.

Anyways, have fun no matter what you choose! Enjoy the time playing this great game with each other!
  16. Machen New Member

I agree with this if the bard isn't a lock, and his focus is on the first few expansions especially. Long term I think the shm+bard+monk/rog/zerk will outperform the cleric+enchanter+anything, but in the first few expansions giving up the enchanter hurts a lot. Especially when you add in no shaman rez during those same eras.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

1-65
    Tank (Raid Main)
    Clr
    Mnk
    Enc

66+
    Tank (Raid Main)
    Shm
    Ber
    Brd

Alternative 66+
    Mag
    Shm
    Brd
    Nec
  18. Bullsnooze Augur

Thanks for all the info guys, putting it altogether this morning.

Sounds like the consensus is now leaning more towards a Chanter/Cleric combo... Man, I really don't want another Enchanter to deal with lol. And, Bards are great too. I'd say for longevity's sake that the Warrior (me) and Bard are locks for the group.

I played a Shadow Knight last time and I really want to give the Warrior a shot this time around. I've never mained a class that didn't have a mana bar. :)

There is a small preference on who plays what between my partner and I. I really want to play the Warrior and my partner loves Monks, which is why I stuck the monk and shaman with 'em.
  19. Xeris Augur

Ye just depends what you're looking to do... If grouping is your main focus chanters would be the 'best' option. Otherwise forget it ;p
  20. Bullsnooze Augur

Can't thank you guys enough for the tips, it helps a lot.

The problem is we dabble in a little bit of everything, but at the same time we're also lazy lol. So it's like we want the least amount of work between boxes too. Enchanters are just so much work in groups and I'd be stuck playing it (again). :(