Would you play on a cloud server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Candystore, Jun 11, 2019.

1. phaeril Augur

Efficient streaming of 3d games isn't just a web cam pointed at a monitor. Besides, you don't need some sort advanced AI to do the partial botting that is so rampant in MMOs. If you look at games like ffiv, people just write simple bots that just follow a script for solving most dungeons. Pet classes, ranged abilities, true north. EQ is even worse, you can bot farm a ton of things with one button on a loop as has been seen on every TLP.

The idea that you need some sort of adult level thought AI for an MMO is kind of silly. Sure, an AI for solving encounters on its own would be complex and prone to failure. Scripting out the steps and using our human brains to do the work of solving them ahead of time is much easier.

You can load up EQ right now on AWS AppStream and play streamed.
  2. AcemoneyFV Augur

Isn't that how EQ2 is by default now? It streams the game to you unless you turn it off? I tried playing it recently and my computer lagged/crashed constantly until I turned that off.

A solution online was to turn off streaming and just download the full game. It worked but I still deleted the game, wasn't feeling it.

If that's how EQ would be as well, I'm out.
  3. Gremin Augur

No thanks, just another time when people will get locked inside their house but cant even play eq because cloud is down.
  4. jeskola pheerie

necroing this post for two reasons:

1.) my friend and old guild leader Gremin predicted our current Stay-at-home
    2.) with all the posts about anti-cheat measures, we still have not had a dev comment on the possibility of Everquest over cloud-based gaming platforms. Could this be the big secret concept they are working on for the new Aradune server?
  5. forum troll Elder

If I could like this post 1000 times I would
  6. Laronk Augur

I think you underestimate how simple everquest can be specifically on TLP, you could still make a pixel bot for a cleric have 4 mages just with broadcast buttons and play from an enchanter and really only play the enchanter except to move stuff around.
  7. Xenich Elder

It isn't anything new. A very old concept we called mainframe computing many years ago.

Nope. I mean, it makes sense in corporate environments with some implementations, but for private use? I don't lease cars, properties, etc... I don't rent things, I buy them an own them and that includes my games (which is why I prefer GoG over steam).

I like to own my products, not rent them and I have been shown the benefit of this numerous times over the years as the "rental" companies have messed over the renters.

Keep in mind that these companies would like nothing better to take away all your ability to function offline. Once they do, you are a captive who can be forced to pay increasing prices for every little thing. The idea that such server side processing is the wave of the future for all private use is a snake oil sale for the technical illiterate and financially irresponsible.
    Rarecandy likes this.
  8. ajschliewe Elder

Heck No.

Well that would mean no gina triggers, no brewall's maps, no custom UI, no ability to save UI layout or macros or hotkey layouts.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

I think you mean cheating. That is much easier addressed via policy than tech.