Worst Zone in EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Hills of Shade was hands down the worst imo for many, many years.

Then they rolled out RoS Skyfire and it immediately took the crown by a mile. The only thing worse is monster mission(s)!
    Winnowyl likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

I'm gonna give a hard disagree. The storyline and lore for Hills of Shade was interesting and engaging. I enjoyed doing those quests very much. I remember reading all the text for that entire zone storyline when I did those quests, something I rarely do.
    kizant, Drogba and Axxius like this.
  3. Numiko Augur

Rivervale... just because of the music ... :eek:
    kizant likes this.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Sepulcher is up there.

Mix of undead/see Invis/live mobs
    Mobs that run around and cast massive haste buffs you can’t dispel and multi-million point runes you can’t remove until you’ve done a bunch of repetitive tasks.
    The quest lines in the zone are just “farm the same few tasks over and over, oh yea all the items you’re farming have no bank flags for no reason”
    The first mission in the zone is a monster mission which blows to deal with.
    Random area Debuffs like a 3minute snare you can’t remove

Other than that... Plane of Sky is very awful to farm regularly. As a one and done raid it’s okay. But the island 4 boss being a “kill one trash then wait 72 minutes for the boss to spawn” is the worst raid boss spawn mechanic. Plane of Fear is also quite awful, but mostly due to the tentacle torment dispels. Any old world zone with death touch and mass dispels from regular trash blows.

Meldraths Mansion I think was a pretty awful group zone as well. Underquarry with its ridiculous series of tunnels, I just hated how autofollow fails so hard in those types of zones.

Contrary to many posts above I liked Kedge Keep and PoWater. But I do understand why people don’t like water zones.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

The bees area in Scorched Woods too, especially the south PH for Seerstinger near the globs. Mobs, pets and mercs can't figure out how to get to the walls without running back to the center.
    Raveno Puppykicker likes this.
  6. Buri Augur

My least favorite zone in the game is Kedge Keep... and I'm a certified SCUBA diver & instructor.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

The only knock on Hills of Shade is it's location...even on a mount, it takes freaking forever to run across Loping Plains to get there. Once you're there, it's a blast.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Gorowyn is one of my favorite zones in RoS. I spent a LOT of time there. Sometimes I still hear the zone music chant....'Three lil' boats...THREE lil' boats....Three LIL' BOATS'
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Harbingers' Spire

If it weren't for the monk epic 1.5 requiring you to go to this zone I think many people wouldn't even step foot in here. It's a shame too, there are a lot of mobs and some named but they are all weirdly itemized. For the level they are the items they drop are pretty bad and the worst part is that none of them drop Muramite runes, one of the most sought after named drops in the expansion, yet lower level instances off Dranik (Dranik Hollows) the named DO drop these runes.

Coupled with the fact that the majority of the zone is a weirdly "linear" climb up the Z axis of a tower using stairwells and scaffolding meant there's not a lot of places to set up a camp for a group to actually xp at, aside from the very top where the mobs are tightly packed together leading to larger pulls.

I am curious about the lore of the zone though.
    Rhyagelle likes this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

There isn't a single worst zone. It's all opinion. People have had bad experiences in zone XXX so that is their worst zone, but others have had good experiences there so it's not.

I appreciate having a variety in terms of themes, quests, named, and difficulty. Some I'll enjoy more than others and that's totally fine.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

came here to say this. It would be a great zone to hunt in if it wasn't for the design of the entire zone ;| Nothing like pulling what looks like a solo mob to have 3 more pop out of rocks they were hiding in and add in.
  12. Ashtorroth New Member

You guys are going to think i'm nuts, but i absolutely love plane of war and skyfire. Plane of war because its not another cookie cutter zone, it forces you to adapt to its...quirks. and nothing is funnier than watching someone who isn't flagged run somewhere they shouldn't be yet, and going splat. (bonus points for announcing the CoP4 clicky is rotting)

As a bard, man is skyfire fun. I get that getting around there is tough for some classes, but once you learn where the safe spots are its not so bad. skyfire is a bard playground, lots of room to work, roaming PHers, long named pulls. bards really shine in this zone. I can safely say that skyfire is currently my favorite zone in the game. I love the atmosphere as well, the smoke from all the lava, the eerie red lighting, the eclectic assortment of mobs. it's fantastic. I always volunteer to help people with quests there or to camped named during our guild's hunter raids.

my least favorite zone? kedge keep.
  13. Gialana Augur

A zone I really dislike that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tower of Rot. Running around many small rectangular ramps to get between levels is annoying.

But Stratos is probably worse. When boxing, I have to run each character one at a time, except for the upper islands. Also, when falling off the islands, the character on one computer takes less than 1 000 dmg while the characters on the other computer take 200 000+.
    Rhyagelle and svann like this.
  14. Tobynn Augur

Plane of War great zone because the mobs aren't stupid. Unlike most every other zone in the game where mobs simply auto-attack players, War mobs use their abilities and disciplines. They ignore pets and instead go after their masters. You snagged agro from the MT? Better be prepared to finish cuz that mob is not going to forget about you with a simple taunt.

Audio trigger for zerker class mobs using their offensive discs highly recommended. Even today, they still have little problem sending a 115 for a dirtnap :)
  15. Bamboompow Augur

Have to agree with Tower of Rot. In addition to what has been mentioned, its a depressing zone to be in. Otherwise, zones that people hate that still have decent exp and loot are fine by me. In general any zone that is crowded with too many players is the "worst zone in EQ".
  16. Monkman Augur

I really hope the final evolving earring turn-in requires plane of war progression.
    Tobynn likes this.
  17. Cloud the Third Augur

I was hoping it would require all the hunter and raids done for classic, kunark, and original velius.
  18. Funky Augur

you can jump off a cliff bud lol
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Gonna have to hard disagree. My ire was mostly due to the zone’s annoying mob effects (wisp mez can eat it) and not liking the Valthun’s quest at all. Especially the final mini war thing that was so buggy. One of those zones we got cheeves done and never went back unless absolutely necessary. Not a fun one.

I think you may have hit your head, comrade. RoS Skyfire is literal gaming cancer.
  20. Grampiz New Member

If your answer is anything but Kedge Keep you either did not do that zone when it was relevant or you need to be checked by a health professional for signs of a stroke.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.