Worrying about gear

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sweetiebear, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Sweetiebear New Member

Level 38 human warrior on Xegony server. Using the... soldier? Gear from the achievements currently and random pieces of defiant gear I find, but I'm worried soon I might outlevel my gear and... start sucking and dying a lot because my gear will be so low level. Anything I can do to prevent this? Am I worrying for nothing? Should I just keep using the defiant gear I find and the hero's journey gear? What about weapons? Thanks in advance! :D

Edit: and AAs? :eek: What would I go about AAs for a tank? ^_^ Thanks again!
  2. Riou EQResource

You will get higher level Defiant gear as you go, just continue the hero's journey and collect the next set of gear or hope to get it from trash mobs / bazaar if you're really worried, they will take you pretty high if you keep up with the appropriate level ones

As for AA you will want to focus on Tanking ones (Combat Agility, Combat Stability) mainly first, you will also likely want some aggro boost lines
  3. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Warrior is probably the most difficult class to raise these days. I suggest finding a supportive guild.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

You're 38, you have zero concerns until 50-60.
    Get a tank merc and let him level you to 45-55, or get a cleric merc and just go around slaughtering stuff.

Sadly that's how it goes in the low game now.
  5. Sweetiebear New Member

Thanks for all the advice, guys! :) And what of weapons? :eek: I'm currently only hitting for 15-36 damage on mobs, so my tank merc is doing all the work. Is this normal? Anything I can do to improve my damage? I'm using bash as well.
  6. Corden New Member

Equip a second weapon where your shield is and use the Kick ability in place of the Bash ability.

Beyond that, you could purchase some augments for your weapons from the "melee augments" vendor on the second floor of Crescent Reach. You can also purchase haste potions from the "potions vendor" which will speed up the rate at which you hit enemies.
  7. Sweetiebear New Member

Thanks for the advice, Corden! Will try it out now! Don't have a second defiant weapon though... Hmmm.... Would a 2h be okay? Or would that not be as good as dual wielding?
  8. Ishtass Augur

dual wield is typically better aggro and dps
  9. Danite Lorekeeper

U may want to consider Crafting its a money sink but u can make armor and weapons for yourself ... and fill in the augs as u get em Smithing is easy to raise Pottery is a bear tho but in the long run at the beginning of each expansion u will be T3 geared at the start of the expansion
  10. Sweetiebear New Member

I don't seem to have a strong enough understanding of the crafting system in this game yet, Danite. :\ And on the other hand, I'm poor as dirt. XD What about the hot zone quests, guys? Are those possible to solo? They have some nice rewards, it looks like. And when should I worry about tomes? Thanks for all the help so far! :D
  11. moogs Augur

The hot zone quests should be possible for you to solo with your tank merc. They'll give you some pretty nice upgrades for slots like back, shoulders, waist, and I think you'll also pick up a little cash as a bonus reward. You should also have a good chance to get an aug from random corpses.
  12. Pizacatto - CT Augur

I honestly don't worry about gear until somewhere around 50 or 60. Up until about 30, I don't even wear gear, I just stock up on DS potions, so the mobs kill themselves hitting me so easily.
  13. Sikk New Member

Sorry about the giant post.

First, look here :)

http://www.eqaasearch.org/

then here

http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/

I've been playing a warrior as my main on and off since just after launch. There are many ways to answer your questions, but all of them are dependent on your play style. I'm going to assume that you are soloing the Hero's Journey or the hot zone path, and that you rarely group, as no-one starting out these days does much of that.

My first recommendation would be to find the highest DPS weapon combination you can. Warriors of the era were most effective with dual wielding, so stick with that for the moment. Defiant is the way to go. If my assumptions are correct, you should be soloing with a mercenary tank at 38 as others have suggested. In this case don't worry about aggro, you should be all about DPS! Quicker kills = more AA.

I would be looking to fill in all essential DPS AA's first, and as you work your way to 65 fill in the essential tanking ones. If you are an AA fiend, you can start to beef up your utility AA's and aggro generation capability also, the stat raising AA's are good as well, but definitely a lower priority. They can wait.

At 65 you should switch to a merc healer - consequently, if you don't have your AA's, gear and weapons at a decent level your DPS just wont cut it, and the going isd slow at that point.

If you keep Finishing Blow maxxed as you level, and stick with mobs that are vulnerable to it, ie. runners, you will be surprised how fast things will die. Be sure to use all your abilities and disciplines as they refresh.

Furious and Mighty Strike are particularly useful, with Furious providing a way to AA all on its own (good wars can trash a 30 mob light blue pull solo with one Furious disc). You need the gear to do this though, (think big hitting 2HS or similar).

When AAing, don't be afraid to be unconventional and experiment, it also helps to have a small goal, like an augment or some other loot. You should be looking for a place where you and the tank merc can plow through mobs non stop with only small breaks, and that drop salable stack-able vendor loot (gems and so on), the loot will help you gear up from the bazaar as you advance. Pre Planes of Power places work the best, as the mobs have less hit points, and die faster. Veksar, Splitpaw, Sebillis, the Hole, Permafronst (bears), Sol B (lava duct crawlers), all should be on your list to check out to see how many AA's per hour you can get once you hit 51. Hot zones are great places to pick up AA's also, as long as you can get the kill rate up, HZ mobs are usually from the SoF expansion though, and hit way harder than the old world.

Post 65 everything changes, you need to bring much more utility to the table to solo effectively, or have high level buffs to grind out tons of AA's. 2 boxing becomes effective, and fun, and things like potions and buffs play a major roll (haste, DS, shaman and cleric buffs make a huge difference). At around 70-75 you'll start seeing opportunities to group in hot-zones.

Here is a basic AA guide up to 65; keep everything in the list at max basically - From the web site you can see I have picked everything from Melee DPS and Survivability categories. You should be fine from there.

Innate Run Speed

Combat Agility
    Combat Stability
    Natural Durability
    Combat Fury
    Double Riposte
    Finishing Blow
    Weapon Affinity
    Ambidexterity
    Area Taunt (class defining skill for the day)
    Knee Strike

Flurry
    Physical Enhancemnt

Hastened Furious

Punishing Blade
    Ingenuity
    Ferocity
    Tactical Mastery

Stalwart Endurance (no stun!!)
    Hastened Instigation

Warlords Tenacity
    Strengthened Strike
    Sinister Strikes
    Sturdiness
    Empowered Ingenuity

Enjoy.

Another tip - as a warrior travel is a hassle, no native invis, etc etc. Make yourself a guild, so you can use the guild portals, the crystals cost big pp at low level, but later on the cash is trivial. And if you can manage it, make 3 low level characters on new bronze accounts, add them to a fellowship, add yourself, and park them where you are hunting. That way you can log the three bronze characters in and and use the campfire to get yourself back in the hunt ;)
    crystilla likes this.
  14. Fenthen aka Rath

Tradeskills are more of a luxury than a necessity. You can make some cheap arrows with fletching, but other than that I'd suggest save your money.
  15. Sweetiebear New Member

Wow!! Thanks for the amazing reply!! All of the replies have been awesome!! Thanks guys!! :D I've looked at some of the tomes for warriors, they're quite expensive. When should I worry about buying tomes? Thanks again for all the help! :D
  16. Sikk New Member

Just a quick summary. Some of the abilities are not especially valuable until you start grouping, Furious, Mighty Strike, Defensive, Final Stand, Stonewall and Bellow of the Mastruq are probably essential, and every 2nd one of the Provoke line.

I still use Commanding Voice, Aura of Runes, Punch Through, Bracing Defense and the Savage Onslaught lines regularly when soloing and grouping. Cyclone Blade Line is very situational. Scowl line is handy as another taunt.

Others you will want to look at as you get to them are, Respite, Bracing Defense, Field Armorer, Weapon Affiliation......

Once (if) you hit 85 you pretty much want to buy everything afterwards.
  17. Sweetiebear New Member

Ah, thanks for the post, Sikk; now to start looking into those tomes. ;) Thanks again for all the help, guys!
  18. Cloudia Augur

I always paly caster/priest myself haven't done melee for a long time. It is tought to get a group as a tank, but it looks like you have a good guide going in here, follow learn to hold agro and you will be golden. I box so rely on a merc tank. Finding a warrior to hunt with that can hold agro is golden, these are the people I want in my group so I can do stuff that mercs just aren't that good for. This is at upper end of game mind you.
    Up until lvl 70 defiant is as good as anything you can get other than some rare drops or raid gear in a few cases.
    If cash seems to be a problem drop back and punt. switch to AA for a bit instead of leveling do the hotzone tasks for the next step down from current or find a good spot to mass kill LB mobs for stackable loot. Check bazaar price and barter see what tradeskill maerials in your hunting range is being bought for. You may find a high demand fo something that drops a lot where you hunt.

Biggest thing is have fun, you don't have to blast yourself to max level. do what you enjoy take your time look at the zones and maybe find people to chat with across zones.