Wonky hate numbers & who gets hit

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Weake Aggro, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Weake Aggro Lorekeeper

Any other warriors seeing really weird things happening with the hate meters while tanking?
    This is on a 101 level group geared warrior in a group setting running Dead Hills HA's
    Here is three examples of the oddness

Example.
    Warrior attacking mob in range of mob Hate value 100
    Mage Main pet attacking same mob in range Hate value 900
    Checking the logs the Mage pet is actually getting hit by the mob even though the warrior in range was at 100 hate on the meter.

Example
    Mage AA/swarm pets attacking same mob in range Hate value 130
    Checking the logs the Mage AA/Swarm pets are actually getting hit by the mob even though the warrior in range was at 100 hate on the meter.
    The mob is even killing the aa/swarm pets with the warrior still at 100 on the hate meter.

Example
    Mage Main pets attacking same mob in range Hate value 600
    Monk attacking same mob hate value of 145
    Checking the logs the Monk is actually getting hit by the mob even though the warrior in range was at 100 hate on the meter.

So my question is at what hate number do you
    1 have aggro
    2 are being the one being hit?

I always thought the person in group at 100 hate was it...but i am seeing the number blow past 100 now.
  2. Makavien Augur

It means the pet has more hate then you and the mage needs to use summon companion more or needs to turn pet taunt off.

So the npc is acting like its rooted so whoever is the closest gets aggro.

Pet aggro goes over 100 to tell you there is a problem.
  3. Weake Aggro Lorekeeper

Thanks!
    Is this something that is in my control or a new thing for the mages and dps to control and part of the new game play?

I have never seen my hate number ever go past 100, no matter how many times I successfully taunt + aggro build.

I would hate to think i have to build up to 901 to hold aggro.
  4. Koryu Professional Roadkill

The Aggro Meter displays your aggro on a percentage scale. If you are at 50 and another tank is at 100%, then you have about half the aggro built that he does. Root and pets will make the Aggro Meter results look a little funny, because rooted mobs and pet tanking have their own aggro rules. Pet classes have had access to Summon Companion AA for a while now, which has a 97% chance to fade pet aggro at max rank.
  5. Zentara Augur

Also keep in mind that pets will not take aggro if a player toon is closer, regardless of their hate level. That's why you are seeing yourself at 100, the pet at 300+ (or whatever), yet you are still the mob's target.

The "pet is being attacked" is almost certainly riposte...what matters is who is on target's target.
  6. fransisco Augur

the only way a pet can get attacked when a player is in range is when the mob is rooted. (And I'm not 100% positive on that). Was the mage using a earth pet that was casting?
    Otherwise, the tank isnt really in melee range.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Mob is riposting pet's attacks. Face the mob away from the pet(s) and you won't see this.

Same as above. Protip: pets do more DPS from rear arc.

This doesn't seem correct. Usually when a player is over 100 agro it means they are out of melee range.
  8. Brohg Augur

Pets don't take riposte damage. That was eliminated back in ... SoF? Pets can even safely plow Enrage. Pets still get parried/blocked/dodged/riposted, but it only reduces the damage they're dealing (reduces by something like 30% if they're meleeing the front of the mob), doesn't damage them in return. It's possible, though I haven't seen it, that swarm guys don't have the exemption that summoned pets do.

Any mob on which a pet has the highest hate, but has a player in its melee range, will act exactly like it's rooted. A rooted mob will choose as its target the player that's physically closest to it, regardless of hate. Since agro is expressed as a % of the hate that the mob's target has, it's easily explained that the Monk (or whoever) can be >100 agro. The tank is closest to the rooted (pet has highest hate so = rooted) mob, so whatever his hate is is "100". The monk actually has more hate than the tank, 40% more. Luckily for the monk, the pet's 800% more hate lets the tank take damage despite slacking on hate generation.
    Zentara likes this.
  9. Zentara Augur

Really good description Brohg--and I wasn't aware that pets can't take riposte damage--but that begs the question of what is actually damaging the pet in this scenario?
  10. Brohg Augur

Rampage? Or the logs included moments when the pet was actually tanking without a player in range? Log reporting is longer range than melee. Who knows? I here describe the actual rules; I wasn't witness to the battle and I don't have access to the logs (which wouldn't tell the whole story anyhow since they don't chart position or agro).
  11. Gialana Augur

As Brohg said, the hate percentages are based off the relative hate values to the hate value of whomever/whatever an npc is currently targeting.

However, when a pet surpasses the tank's hate value, I'm not sure the npc behaves as if it's rooted. It is true that if someone is out of melee range, they can have more hate than the tank and not become the npc's target as long as there is a pet in melee range that has even more hate (charmed pets are an exception in certain situations). But when I've tanked raid mobs, the magi's pets would often surpass my hate value, and there surely were players closer to the mob than I was, but the mob would still attack me as long as I had more hate than the other players within melee range.

Just to add, there are a couple more instances I can think of where a PC can show greater than 100% aggro, though this situations probably don't apply to the OP. An NPC does not switch targets while it's stunned or mezzed. If the most hated changes while the NPC is under these effects, the previously most hated character will still show 100%, and the newly most hated character will show greater than 100%.