Wondering whether to carry on with EQ (char rolled back after patch)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Linora, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Linora New Member

Hi all

I've been back playing EQ for about three weeks, have played off and on since 2001 but 2009 was the last time I logged on until recently. I've been having a blast, I've got my little team up to the early eighties and been blown away by the gear you can get off the Bazaar these days - the loyalty tokens have been an absolute boon.

However, when I logged onto my BST last night after the patch I found that she had been rolled back by approximately a week. I contacted support last night (I'm on UK time so about 24hrs ago) and had to wait until about 2hrs ago until I got a response - I've gone gold on all my accounts so frankly I'd expect a significantly quicker response than this for what is pretty much a game-breaking problem for me so that was last night down the drain for me and my merry band.

When the GM finally contacted me he said he had rolled me back to the last save that they had. I logged on expecting to be back to where I was (I had just dinged 83) only to find I was 30% into 82, had numerous quests in my journal that I had already completed (without the items that I had spent hours collecting), had lost about 40aa and, to be honest, I really don't know what else. There is a strong possibility that I'd bought stuff on the char for a lot of plat as well but I'd stupidly turned off logging on that char a couple of nights ago so I can't go back to find out exactly what I'm missing.

I went back to the GM and he was able to confirm that I had completed a couple of the quests and has given me the rewards for them but I'm still down pretty much a whole level and 40AAs (i.e. a few night's work for me). The GM has also given me an experience potion and basically said sorry but he has done all he can now. I'm not moaning about the GM because I'm sure he has done the best he can do.

Basically this boils down to a question - is this something that happens often in EQ these days? If I'm honest I'm still totally shocked that a game that is all about progression can have systems where something like this can actually happen. I played WoW for years, SWTOR, LOTRO etc. and I've never been in a situation where my character has been rolled back a number of days and been basically told to suck it up. I'm right on the edge of cancelling the four accounts that I have recently upgraded to gold and going off to play something where when I do something the servers actually remember about it! I haven't even had an experience like this with an offline game on my own hard disks, let alone in an MMO that I pay a monthly sub for.

As I said, I've been really enjoying my time back in EQ but it really isn't worth my time if this is the sort of thing that goes on these days - have I just been really unlucky?
  2. silku Augur

I've been playing mostly the entire time since 1999.. have yet to have a rollback of that big a jump. I've lost a few hours here or there.. but not whole levels. so no.. it doesn't happen often and you seem to have just been very unlucky.
  3. Geroblue Augur

I haven't had any rollback on my toons. Are you on test perchance ?
  4. Gladare Augur

/camp desktop is way better than /ex or /qu
    Caudyr and Moklianne like this.
  5. Sinestra Augur

Also played since 1999 and the only time I think I've ever been rolled back are a few times during the fiasco where some one at Sony put in vendors that weren't supposed to be there and then they as usual punished the players for taking advantage of it.

Otherwise I've never had that problem, but I do have to say you aren't the first person in the last week or so to make this complaint. Their saving system seems to lack a lot.
  6. Moklianne Augur

I haven't had a rollback anywhere near that magnitude. Typically, it may have been a few hours worth of work at max. If you're in the UK, are you on the AB server? If so, that company may be spotty with stuff like this since SOE doesn't admin the servers directly.

I've honestly never heard of anyone having a rollback of this magnitude. If you can get your quests and items back though, the exp is simply some time invested. I don't think I would quit over it.
  7. Githy Elder

I'm on test and I haven't noticed any rollback on any of my 6 main characters.

"Haven't noticed" so if there was a general one it was negligible for me.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Tarrin Augur

I know a few people on Povar this happened to, for the same ~1 week time frame of the roll back. It all happened with this last patch. I haven't ever seen it happen like this before.

What server are you on?
    Leerah likes this.
  9. Linora New Member

You hit the nail on the head Mok, I am on AB. I had wondered if this might have been something to do with the work they said they did on AB. I saw somebody else posted in the update bugs thread saying that they had been rolled back as well - maybe it is linked?

I logged out on the BST exactly the same way I always do - /camp desktop.

EDIT: I just checked the potion I was given - a 1/2hr 100% potion. That isn't going to get me back to 83 really :/
  10. Daegun Augur

Without a save rolling you back up can't happen. Since the Gm was able to see tasks you did, I'd push for more than xp potion. See if you can get them to comp you like a stack of 20 4hr 50% xp pots.

Would seem fair to me.
  11. Marshall Maathers Augur

If you were on my server I'd help you out in getting back the exp. You could certainly get it back within the time on the potion. You might be lucky enough to get that kind of offer here in this thread from a sympathetic individual, who knows.

In the end, it's almost a once-in-a-lifetime scenario and not the norm by any means.
  12. Casidia Augur

Annoying things have happened on the AB server in the last weeks, you are not alone with your frustration about what is going on atm.

There might be some people (including me if i see you on) happy to help you getting the exp back, as it's really no biggie for a high dps L100 toon...what's the nick of your BST?
  13. Booger Elder

why was you rolled back ?
  14. Crystilla Augur

The old way to 'force a save' used to be give another player coin as it forces a transfer to the server.

In the 12 years I've been playing ...
    - rollbacks (that were random glitches) happened maybe 3 times
    - rollbacks that were intended to fix a major exploit happened maybe 1-2 times
    - rollbacks that were major (being reset to level 50) happened 2 times or so

And that's 12 years of pretty much continual play (no break more than 2 weeks at a time).

Short answer - it rarely happens and in this instance was related to something.
  15. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Well, if I was a GM and you had come to me with your problem I would have done all that the other GM had done but I would have given you a dozen xp potions of the highest caliber. Why not, it doesn't cost sony anything and it might keep you happy. Or, just to make it interesting I might offer you a choice of 12 xp potions or 50k plat so you can buy a plvl. I think I would be good at customer service because I understand the gamer. I know how hard it to have to repeat yourself. Who the hell wants to have to relive 3 days of playing. Honestly, 12 xp potions and 50k might be called for. Would that satisfy you? Or what else can I do for you? What can GMs do? What he did seems pretty weak to say "I've done all I can." What? I think they should really give you something for 3 whole days wasted!
  16. Leerah Augur

I also know a person it happened to on Povar but it doesn't seem to have been more than 24 hours and he just went ahead and made his 40 AA or something back. He didn't bother to petition it. I don't think he's the /ex type.
  17. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I think I had a rollback like that in Kunark. I didn't even get an XP pot.

As far as I'm concerned, time playing EQ is wasted time whether I stand around in PoK, die repeatedly, or defeat an encounter for the first time, gain a level and some uber loot. That's why I usually don't use my Lesson, hate double XP weekends, and have a large supply of unused XP pots that I've accumulated over the years. So, I see this as your opportunity to play more before you get to max AA and gear and quit because there's nothing more for you to do, as I've seen people do many times.

It's a very rare glitch, so I wouldn't quit over it.
    Moklianne and Leerah like this.
  18. iniari-TR Augur

I too would certainly be very upset if my toon was rolled back by a week.
    I remember the rollback from the beta merchants / tainted plat, and was subject to 2 rollbacks of 24 hrs each.

fortunately a gm was able to address your issue as best as he could. sadly your a victim of the server issues soe is having with AB.

loseing a days worth of xping and gear / etc sux , but its not a game ending catastrophe.

deal with it and move on.
  19. Vorthax Lorekeeper