Wizards spells are messy and overbearing to newcomers.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by EqoaMike, Apr 8, 2020.

1. EqoaMike New Member

1.Does anybody know why the order of spells and names are so confusing?
    2.Why do we get gates like Cazic Thule before low level areas?

3.Gates/portals/translocation/relocate Jesus?
    4.Let me gate to the emerald jungle ohh wait they got fancy and named it Markar's Relocation?
    5.As for spells 50% are useless did they get nerfed awhile back and never adjusted the mana usage?6.For the love of god why so many focus mana essences spells?

Don't get me wrong I love my wizard but spells need some work.Thanks in advance for any feedback on the decisions that went into this process.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

1. Not sure what you mean. Example?

2. Cazic Gate is a level 23 spell. In original EQ (pre zone revamp) this dungeon is a level 20-35ish dungeon. It fits fine. You also have Lesser Evacuate, and porting to CT and evacing is a quick way to get to Feerrott and travel from there. At level 23 you can also port yourself to North Karana, Toxxulia Forest, Greater Faydark, Commonlands, Nektulos Forest, North Ro, and West Karana. That covers every continent in the classic era these spells were released. Which other low level areas did you want to port to?

3. Gates = self only. Portals = group. Translocates = your target only. Relocations are just 2 Kunark specific group evac spells. Jesus = not a deity in this game.

4. I'll agree they should have at least put the name of the destination zone in for these Kunark evacs, but there's only two of them. It's not that hard to sort out. Just remember that Markar's starts with an M (sounds like EMerald jungle!)

5. There's definitely some spells with pretty terrible damage:mana ratios. Usually they at least have some type of situational usage like against mobs that resist other types of spells, but yeah sometimes spells are just kind of garbage and don't get used. Fortunately you don't ever have to memorize them and can just forget about them. The focus mana essence spells are for creating specific tradeskill items and can just be completely ignored unless you're doing said tradeskills or creating items for someone who is.
  3. xxGriff Augur

Not if you read the lore and followed their intro by expac.
    CZ zone is now a relatively low level zone (exception during HH) and was re-vamped after it was rolled out.
    Portals - Self port / Translocation-Send another(targeted player) to zone / Relocation-Group port. there are also Evacuations emergency port to safe areas. all by expac / content
    Again, lore of the expansion and easily looked up or remembered. iirc there are 2 from Rise of Kunark that do not have the name of the zone in the spell.
    Not useless. I will grant less useful than when they were intro'd. EQ is 21 years old, there have been massive changes to the game. not just added levels, but changes to mechanics of game play but, to models, features and even subscription methods. What may seem a simple change or "upgrade" to players can is likely a huge undertaking by the Dev team, and requires changes to the dB and code that can impact all sorts of unintended areas of game play. Expansions were never simply to up the level cap (yes that is an important aspect of many expac's) but there is a history, a story and lore that is created in an attempt to tie it all together and shape the world of Norrath. Complete with God's, mortals and all those NPC's and names used in game. I agree that trying to wrap ones brain around 21 years and 26 expansions is daunting, it does help to take each of the expac's as they were released and then becoming familiar with the lore. there are many site's that provide in depth lore and wiki like search, walk-thru for all the various expansions. I personally find exploring by expansion quite entertaining, but does require some effort on your behalf to "get up to speed". I would wager that most veteran player also enjoy the lore and "Era's" of EQ, some more than others, granted. IN short, there are no other MMORPG's quite like EQ. that being said, not all MMORPG's are to everyone's liking. Hope you enjoy your time in Norrath, and there are plenty of people who have either been around since 1999 or have managed to get themselves caught up on lore, expac's and can provide some assistance.